“No other spa can compare”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tucson
Canyon Ranch in Tucson
Ranked #2 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
tiburon
“No other spa can compare”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Having just finished my twelfth visit to Canyon Ranch , Tucson, I am relaxed and happy. This is the absolute best place to regenerate and learn about health , fitness, nutrition and so much more. I love the beauty of the desert property and the sincere interest the staff takes in the wellness of their guests.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank jane k
crsocial, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Tucson, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Canyon Ranch has had the pleasure of providing our guests with the ultimate health and wellness vacation for the last 35 years. We thank you as well as our other longtime fans for your continued support. See you again soon.
Kyle Treat.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
california
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Canyon Ranch
My husband and I stayed at the Canyon Ranch for a 4-day vacation in late May. Overall, it's a lovely spa with great facilities, friendly and competent staff, and an amazing array of services. However, it also requires lots of advance planning and rigorous scheduling to fully take advantage of the place. A lot of guests seem to go back year after year. While I hope to go back someday with a couple of girl friends, I think a trip to a nice pampering resort coupled with a year-round gym membership might be a better fit for us (or definitely a better fit as far as my husband is concerned!).

Pros:
- the menu of services is amazingly diverse. All sorts of massages, sports consultations, skin care, nutrition, metaphysical services such as tarot cards, etc, etc, etc are potentially available to you, if you book all of then at the right times a month in advance.
- the food was awesome. Low calorie, beautifully presented, and easily available as much as you'd like. I ate well and felt good. No alcohol, though, so you'll have to skip that glass of wine with dinner.
- the grounds are beautiful and very well maintained. The natural desert vegetation is really cool and we saw lots of little lizards and rabbits running around.
- the services I attended were generally very well delivered and high quality. The exercise classes have varied, new equipment focusing on a number of areas (strengthening, cardio, dance, etc). The instructors are very experienced and do a great job leading classes for a great variety of skill levels. Many of the wellness staff has been working there for decades.
- the pools were never crowded and had plenty of towels, sun lotion, and shade available.
- rooms are comfortable, clean, and well appointed. Different types of pillows available on the 'pillow menu.'

Cons:
- very little to no spontaneity whatsoever possible with your appointments. If you change your mind on appointments and times once you get there, my experience was that very little was available a few days in advance. I tried to change times for a facial and get a new professional consultation after I arrived, and failed to accomplish both.
- free classes with limited attendance are hard to get in at times. I wanted to do a TRX class on a Friday morning, showed up 10min in advance (they told me to be there 5min before in the advising session I did) and it was full.
- classes can get really full. I did a ballet-style class where my knees were touching those of the person next to me when I squatted. The abs class at noon had over 40 people in it. It was all manageable, but a bit too crowded for the promise of an exclusive, relaxing vacation.
- the crowd may or may not be your cup of tea. It is around 80-90% women, mostly apparently between 45-65 (with exceptions above and below that), a few of them in good shape and a lot with perhaps more time spent at the plastic surgeon than at the gym. Everyone was nice and friendly, but it was not a great vibe for a couples holiday.
- It's hot in late May! And lovely if you like really warm and dry weather. But it makes hiking, biking, or jogging outside impractical during the day. So either you're up super early to join the 6am hikes, you may be spending the whole day indoors.
- The value is questionable in my opinion. The extremely high daily fees cover the room, 3 meals, gym classes and around one spa service a day. If you do the math, you are paying a few hundred dollars daily to use the facilities. Everything else, from a gait analysis to a nutritional consultation requires an extra fee.

All in all, I did enjoy all the services and went back home feeling more relaxed, less achy, and healthier than when I arrived. Let's see how long that lasts!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank allplanetsearch
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us -- we are delighted you enjoyed your Canyon Ranch vacation. We strive to meet all our guests’ individual goals and appreciate your feedback. I will share both your wonderful compliments and the areas of concerns with our staff. It will be our pleasure to welcome you again in the future.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Let me start by saying that I was a loyal Miraval guest for almost a decade. However, the changes at Miraval led me to breaking up with them and trying something new. And I am so glad I did! Canyon Ranch was not what I expected but definitely what I needed.
Differences between Miraval and CR:
* Miraval is very spiritual focused. It is holistic, mind-body-spirit, but the focus is on spirituality. Everything starts with setting an intention - even morning walks. MIraval offers daily morning meditation as well as nightly meditation that is unique (crystal bowls, visualization, loving-kindness). CR is not as mature with its spirituality but they are growing in that area.
* Miraval's beds are amazing. Nothing compares.
* Miraval offers soda and alcohol (for a fee); CR does not.
* CR's activity offerings are exponentially larger than Miraval. There are multiple walks and hikes in the morning, all levels, so you always have options. And unlike MIraval, there is no additional charge (this is a new thing for Miraval - charging for morning hikes - which is one reason I broke up with them). Also, when you go on hikes with CR, they provide a backpack with water and food (healthy snacks); Miraval provides water only unless you are on a very long hike.
* CR's beauty salon is amazing; Miraval is weak in that area.
* CR has an incredibly strong medical center with state-of-the-art technology, doctors and nurses. Miraval does not come close.
* CR has a much broader range of classes and workshops than Miraval.
* Miraval has more offerings in the evening - classes and workshops. CR has relatively few.
* CR has multiple options for food: 2 different dining places, full menus and "bars" (salad, pasta, omelet, sandwich), and easy-to-obtain wraps and snacks between meals. MIraval used to provide those but now if you want anything extra you have to pay for it. Want another entrée to share with friends at dinner? CR provides with a warm smile; Miraval now charges (another recent change).
* MIraval charges the same whether you are single or double occupancy; CR charges more if you are single occupancy.
* Miraval's atmosphere is a bit quieter, more spiritual and calming than CR.
* CR attends to the little things. MIraval used to be that way but now they are more commercialized. CR still focuses on value over volume.
Why I am now a loyal CR customer:
* CR has superb customer service. While there were some minor issues, I saw these as exceptions rather than standard.
* CR is significantly investing in its spirituality offers and their current staff (love Julie!!!) is wonderful.
* CR's Life Enhancement Program (no additional cost) provides a "soft entry" into the world of CR. It provides a little of everything along with exceptional service providers that always great you by name with a smile and willingness and eagerness to help.
* CR focuses on the little things - you get a spa locker at the beginning of your stay and it is yours throughout the stay. CR provides daily newspapers (USA Today, local AZ paper, WSJ, NY Times). CR's staff is exceptionally trained in both their area of expertise and on customer service.

I could go on and on about CR and there are a lot of guests who have provided detailed reviews on how amazing the grounds are, the variety of classes (who knew drumming could burn so many calories!), the great food, etc. The best way I can show how much I am now a CR girl is to tell you that while I just visited in May, I have already booked a return visit for November.

Room Tip: If you do a LEC program, try to get a room close to LEC.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
7 Thank Valerie-tf
crsocial, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Tucson, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
It will be our pleasure to welcome you once again this coming November. Thank you for mentioning our expanding spiritualty programming. As we reach our 35th anniversary this year, we are thrilled to celebrate with the opening of our brand new spirituality center and surrounding gardens. Our Spirituality staff is incredibly passionate about their work and Julie will be very pleased to hear you particularly enjoyed your time with her. Thank you for sharing, in detail, your Canyon Ranch experience on TripAdvisor. See you later this year!

New York City, New York, Usa
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Returned to Canyon Ranch in gorgeous Tucson's Sonoran Desert a year later. Canyon Ranch is still absolutely wonderful: staff, accommodations, classes, food, atmosphere. If you are looking to recharge yourself or to tune up or just relax this is a wonderful wonderful place. You can find so many things to do -- or just sit by the pools and take in the warming sun! Better yet -- just grab a bunch of friends to join you -- and you will multiply the fun and the experience.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to share your compliments on TripAdvisor about your return visit to Canyon Ranch. We have many guests that travel with friends and family – and they experience the best of both worlds – enjoying each other’s company while also focusing on their own personal health and wellness. We so appreciate you vacationing with us again and we hope to continue welcoming you for many years to come.
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Wonderful....helped to be with someone that had already been there.
So fun to go with a group of gals that all wanted to add healthy years onto their lives. We all did different things but met for breakfast lunch and dinner and that is wear we all shared our experiences! You just can't go to everything. One problem I had was eating more than I should have because everything is so so good! Thank goodness we worked out so much and it was healthy eating!

Room Tip: Bring less next time.....
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
We are delighted you enjoyed your first trip to Canyon Ranch! Traveling with a past guest and/or friends also seeking a healthy vacation is a great way to do it. Additionally, our Program Advisors are wonderful at helping each of our guests, new and return, plan a stay tailored to their individual goals and interests. Thank you for your enthusiastic review and we look forward to welcoming you back again for your second visit!
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Exquisite weather greeted me as the first step to a lovely respite. I particularly enjoyed having so much positive energy and support. Everytime I needed anything the staff was willing and able to supply it; the services all the way from physical therapy to massage were splendid. I highly recommend a vacation here.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Thank you for sharing your compliments here at TripAdvisor. We are very proud of our staff as well as our extensive programs, activities and services. There truly is something for everyone here at Canyon Ranch. We appreciate your recommendation and would be pleased to welcome you again.
Point Pleasant, New Jersey
Reviewed 23 May 2014

After 20 years I booked a return trip to Canyon Ranch...Needed a "tune-up"!
Everything about my 10 day stay was wonderful. Truly a life changing experience.
Aside from the excellent medical care...both physical and mental...just being in the desert felt spiritual . The views of the mountains took my breath away.
Food was really excellent (much better than my first visit). Join the Life Enhancement program for a truly wonderful week.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank alikeefe
On behalf of our entire staff, and more specifically our Life Enhancement Program team of professionals, we are delighted that your return experience was wonderful. The nurturing environment in the Life Enhancement Center is wonderful – and apropos that we call the Center the “heart of Canyon Ranch”. We look forward to hearing how you’re maintaining your “tune-up” we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.