Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa
La Quinta Inn & Suites Tucson Airport(Tucson)(Great Value!)
US$70
US$66
US$149
US$130
Arizona Inn(Tucson)
US$171
US$162
La Posada Lodge and Casitas(Tucson)(Great Value!)
US$560
US$188
US$487
US$174
1,374 results
All reviewsequine experiencethai massagejuice barcardio drummingfloating meditationquantum leapspirit flightchallenge courseaqua zenandrew wolfmeditation classesno tipping policylife changingpersonal growthmountain bikingcomfort zoneguest services
Reviewed 28 May 2012

This was my third visit at Miraval and it just keeps gettting better. The classes were superb with great insight into your physical and mental health (I loved the ones on metabolism and life transitions). The physical classes were different and fun (bouncy ball, water aerobics, improving posture). As always, the room was immaculate, spa services among the best in the business, and food was delicious. I made friends from different cultures and walks of life and loved sitting in the 'bird feeder' area, writing in my journal and enjoy the peace. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Deborah D
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2012

HI Deborah - Thank you for taking the time to write - and thank you for being such a loyal guest! You paint such a lovely picture with your words. The bird ramada is certainly one of our guests' favorite spots to reflect and relax on property. We look forward to having you back at Miraval in the near future!

Reviewed 27 May 2012

My husband and I booked a 4 night/stay the 5th free for our 30th anniversary. I would first like to say that as many times as we mentioned to the reservation staff/spa staff and other staff that we were celebrating our anniversary, not even a glass of wine was sent over to our table on the evening of our special day. I find this highly unusual, especially given it was our 30th. It has been our experience to receive a welcome token of some kind when we stayed at other resorts when celebrating a special event. (This is just a nice touch we think and in keeping with the image Miraval wants to present).
However, that being said the grounds of the Miraval resort are absolutely breathtaking. There are so many trees, plants, a bird ramada, a lovely flowing stream and many beautiful statues to admire while walking from ones room to the restaurant, spa, gym, actually anywhere! We were met at the Tucson airport and driven 50 minutes in a very comfortable small bus.
We arranged for a Catalina Suite, a bit more expensive and larger than the normal accomodations, due to our celebration! It was very nice, with a large bathroom and indoor and outdoor shower and bathtub. The bed was really comfy! The suite had a beautiful view of the mountains, a large patio and indoor/outdoor fireplace.
The entire staff is very friendly and welcoming. Everyone always said hello and inquired how our stay was going.
The spa is brand new and very ,very nice. The treatments are also very nice. The spa check in process leaves a little to be desired. Normally on your first visit to a spa you are escorted back to the women's or men's locker room and met by the attendant who gets you a locker. Here at Miraval the spa desk people point to where you are to go. There isn't a locker room attendant and you are left to hunt through lockers in search of one that is open and actually has a robe and slippers in it. You then have to wander around to find the steam/whirlpool/showers and restroom.
I was in the spa 3 times in 4 days and never once was escorted or shown to a locker, nor was my husband on the men's side.
The pool outside the spa,when we were there,was so cloudy that I would not get in it. When I inquired about the condition , the pool attendant shrugged it off. The grand opening of the spa was actually the Saturday after we left and so I assume the water is now as clear as a bell. It was very hot, so it would have been nice to take a dip. There is a charge for food if you order it at the pool. Not a nominal charge, a full fledged charge as if you were at the Ritz. Now it seems to me that if I have already paid for food since it is included in my room rate when staying at Miraval and I choose to eat at the pool instead of the restaurant there should not be an additional charge. Or if there is a charge it shouldn't be $17.95 for a Caesar Salad. ( Chips and salsa is free). To put this in perspective, we paid for 4 nights ( we got 5th night free), which includes all our meals and free classes, but not including 3 treatments for my husband,3 treatments for me for an additional charge and about 200.00 each in private sessions,for a total of $10,000.00. I believe this expense is standard and reasonable for a spa of this caliber and I have in fact spent close to this at Canyon Ranch in Tucson for 4 nights. ( It just seems like overkill to charge full price for food at the pool).
The daily activity brochure is really difficult to read( we heard this from other guests) as compared in my experience, to say Canyon Ranch. It appears that Miraval may want to save paper by listing every class they ever offer on a given day although it may not be offered on the exact DATE you are there. Also, there seems to be an abundance of classes and events you MUST sign up for, although we were told at check in it didn't matter if there was a waiting list because they really didn't pay attention to that. There aren't a wide variety of exercise classes offered nor were the ones offered repeated frequently enough that if you missed it the first time you could catch it later. I would have liked to see a stretch class offered. Again I base this assessment on my experience at Canyon Ranch in Tucson.
Miraval has a bar, for those of us who enjoy an evening cocktail or glass of wine at dinner, which is nice. They also offer free "munchies" at Happy Hour each day, where they feature a special drink. Not Happy Hour prices however. Again, a Pomegranate Margarita is $14.00.
My husband is an avid golfer and we were pleased to learn he could get a lesson or play at his leisure with transportation provided to several nearby courses.
My husband took one private tennis lesson and one group tennis lesson and they were both excellent.
For those of you traveling from the Eastern Time Zone, there are no coffee pots in the room and coffee service ( not in room service, but up by the restaurant) does not begin until 530AM ,which in May is 3 hours behind EST. So the first couple of days can be rocky! The overall quality of the food is excellent. An extensive buffet is served at breakfast and lunch and you could order off a menu as well. At dinner there is no buffet, just menu service. Again, as compared to Canyon Ranch, the menu does not have as many choices. However, if you do have a food intolerance and let them know at check in the waitstaff always knows this when you sit down at the restaurant and can help you with your choices.
There are alot of interesting lectures presented, some for free and others that cost. Be sure to check them out.
I took an afternoon Photography class with Nancy which was very informative. She helped us learn how to use the digital cameras we brought with us and how to take many different photos around the property using different exposures, shutter speed etc.
I would return to Miraval in the future. There is a wonderful sense of peace you get there that you will bring home with you!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Hi There - Thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough review of your recent stay. And congratulations on 30 years! It's wonderful to hear that you enjoyed the Catalina Suite - those floor to ceiling windows certainly offer breathtaking mountain views, don't they? I am glad you were able to experience the new Life in Balance Spa during its grand opening month - we truly appreciate all the feedback you provided. In response to your comments about add-on food pricing, I want to emphasize that all three daily meals, snacks, and non-alcoholic beverages are included in each stay - this is something we're happy to offer our guests as it helps to take the stress out of vacation (similar to our no-tipping policy); however, MIraval is all about choice so we offer additional food options (i.e. by the pool) should a guest want to dine there instead. With that said, I'm sincerely glad you enjoyed the food here and yes, our culinary team is more than happy to accommodate any dietary restrictions. We look forward to seeing you back at Miraval again soon!

Reviewed 27 May 2012

I have been to many spas both nationally and internationally and had heard great things about Miraval so I was really looking forward to checking it out with my mother and sister. Within the first couple of hours, we were all complaining to one another about the lack of service. A few examples:

Upon check-in, we were given a cursory tour of the property... "This path goes in a circle so you can't get lost." Would it have killed them to spend an extra 10 minutes to show us everything?

When we arrived at the spa, we got a casual wave as to where the facilities were so we were once again left to our own devices.

I had three services - two 50 minute and one 80 minute. While the services themselves were all fine, they all ended anywhere from 3-5 minutes early since none of them ever started promptly on the hour. In my experience, a service begins when the technician starts the massage/facial/etc, NOT when they come to pick you up from the lobby.

The hostess in the restaurant was completely oblivious, asking us if we'd just arrived when she had seated us only hours before at breakfast (as well as a couple of times the days prior).

While walking around the property and I'd pass a staff member, it was rare that anyone would smile, say good morning or anything else. But I'd see them high-fiving one another - clearly these are nice people, but only to one another.

This is just a sampling of the terrible service we experienced over the 2 nights we spent there. To write more would take too long.

One other complaint (outside of the service) is that everything seems to be for sale at Miraval which I find somewhat distasteful. I'm there to relax not to shop.

The only highlights were the delicious food, the service in the restaurant by the servers (NOT the hostesses) and the service out by the pool. But this is not enough to make up for everything else. In short, I'm never going back.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
12  Thank Jill F

Hi Jill - I'm disheartened to know you found Miraval's customer service to be so dissatisfactory. Our employees take great pride in guest satisfaction and in going the extra mile to make our guests as comfortable as possible. I'm sorry I didn't have the opportunity to speak with you and the other two members of your family, while you were at Miraval, so that I might have been able to correct any inconsistencies you encountered. Nevertheless, I will take your feedback to my management team. Thank you for visiting us.

Reviewed 26 May 2012

I have just returned from yet another amazing, transforming and soulful trip to Miraval. We have been there enough to have experienced nearly every wonderful, challenging and inspiring program they offer. Still, Miraval continues to "wow" us with new and different adventures and experiences including the spectacular new spa and Naga - their unique version of Thai message. However, as someone who has nearly 1,000 employees in a service oriented business, what is truly most incredible to me is the consistent level of warm, caring and personalized service delivered at every level from the Executive Director, Michael Tompkins down to the housekeepers and maintenance men. Just a few examples (sorry if I leave someone out): before,during and even as you depart your trip the hospitality, scheduling and transportation services offered by receptionists and personal schedulers like Carol, Charlie, and Peggy is engaging and flawless. Need a birthday cake, a package sent or something from the local store - just ask. Then there is Matt who knows which message therapists that I like as well as my preferred time of day. Without a prompt, Emilia at the coffee and juice bar knows I like Splenda in my latte and that my girfriend would rather have raw sugar. When we sit down at the bar, Alex has my scotch poured just as one of the restaurant servers (Gil, Bryan, Mollie, Summer, Mona or Kate) knows to have iced tea waiting for me in the dining room. And, best of all, they all know me by name! What more can I say than - INCREDIBLE!!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great. Personally we prefer the Catalina or 600 rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Hi David! We love having you at Miraval! It's amazing to hear how the little things go such a long way in creating the experience you look for during a Miraval stay. I'm so proud of our Miraval team and I look forward to seeing you when you return!

Reviewed 26 May 2012

The customer service there was horrible. I would never go back.

The only saving grace at Miraval was the outstanding food (which is hard to enjoy when they close the buffet on you mid-meal). You turn left, a staff memeber is rude, you turn right, a staff member is thoughtless, you go straight, there is no staff member there to help you, you turn around and the staff member is...sorry to say... a moron.

I've been to Canyon Ranch -- it was awesome. I've been to Mii Amo, it was heaven on earth. I wanted to try something new. Oh well. I learned. Go to Mii Amo or CR instead. You'll thank me.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
12  Thank Joelle M

Hi Joelle - I'm disheartened to know you found MIraval's customer service to be so dissatisfactory. Our employees take great pride in guest satisfaction and in going the extra mile to make our guests as comfortable as possible. I'm sorry I didn't have the opportunity to speak with you and the other two members of your family, while you were at Miraval, so that I might have been able to correct any inconsistencies you encountered. Nevertheless, I will take your feedback to my management team. Thank you for visiting us.