“First rate resort”

Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed 6 April 2013

If you read a negative review of Miraval - it's posted by someone who can't be pleased or is an unhappy person. Miraval is a delightful place, with good food, friendly guides and a very laid-back and heathy vibe. There is a no cell phone policy, which means no self important types typically go to the resort. The yoga instructors are wonderful as well.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2013

Hi There - Thank you for writing about your recent stay! I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed our healthy philosophy and laid back atmosphere. We look forward to welcoming you back on a future visit for more good food and yoga!

There are newer reviews for Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa

Reviewed 2 April 2013

Fabulous, recently renovated spa. Services were great but not the place you want to go to if you're looking to work out. Miraval is the resort if you want to transform your mind, not your body. As my daughter and I had no desire to transform our minds, we prefer Canyon Ranch. The food is clearly prepared ahead of time and then heated up. Breakfast and lunch are a buffet with a rotating menu to order off of for dinner. Service was very varied, as was the food. It seemed they served a lot of pork. The portion size was extremely small and it seemed there was never enough protein. Dinners ranged from 200-400 calories, with 2 scallops being a complete meal. This was a destination I always wanted to try and got a great rate through Rue LaLa. Although it was not what I expected, for the rate paid it was reasonable. Personally wouldn't return, but for the right person looking to make a change it would be the right place.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2013

Hi There - I'm happy to hear you loved our new Life in Balance Spa. I'd like to respond to your comment about Miraval and fitness. Miraval is not simply a "weight loss" destination although guests often lose weight and adopt healthy habits during their stay. We do incorporate mindfulness and whole-body wellness into everything we do because we believe that changing your mind is the first step to changing your body. Miraval is all about choice - and for those looking to stay active throughout the day, we offer activities and classes from morning until night including hiking, TRX Endurance Circuit, Zumba, Water Conditioning, Abs & Glutes, BoCircuit, etc. I am shocked to hear that our food did not live up to your expectations as we are constantly receiving positive feedback about our culinary team's ability to create healthy dishes that are full of flavor. I'd also like to note that our all-inclusive model means that you can choose to order as much or as little as you like.

I do appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback about your stay and we wish you the best on your future travels!

Reviewed 31 March 2013

Miraval- you are the boyfriend, best friend and husband I never had! Would that I could move into your cozy bosom of love, fun and sanctuary forever. In 3 short days I felt fear, exhilaration, triumph, relaxation, contentment and so much insight it made my head spin.
I'm an individual who can't have expectations. I'm usually bitterly disappointed (eg. I didn't enjoy the broadway show "Book of Mormon" as expectations were too high). I had expectations for Miraval and they were met- which, quite frankly, shocked me.
Things to do while there:
Get a crush on Jeremy. Ask him to take you mountain biking and look at the wildflowers (to be clear -he was never anything but completely profesh with us but he can't help his adorable deep knowledge & passion of flora and fauna).
Go hiking- it will kick your butt and make you realize that you aren't quite the rock star hiker you thought you were but the views and feeling when you make it to the top are incredible.
Leap from tall buildings in a single bound- or in the absence of tall buildings how about a 25ft pole or a 35ft tightrope. But they aren't really physical challenges more than they are deep insightful activities that Lewis will help you peel back, revealing answers and questions and more answers.
Speaking of peels- Go. To. The. Spa. Ask for Amy or Vlad and fall into the deepest relaxed state you have been in since the womb.

Other things to note: the food was DELISH. There was a minor hiccup with our room that Rachel and Chris handled wonderfully- assuring there be no blemish on my overall experience of this slice o' heaven. Unexpectedly I really enjoyed the lectures by Mark (skillfully aware) and Tejpal (soul mission) and learned things I will carry into my everyday.

Just make sure (as others have noted) that you plan in advance and sign up for things. Sign up for stuff you didn't think you'd want to do. Participate in things you might think are cray cray and while you're in it realize that you're also a little bit crazy which is why its awesome. Talk to people, embrace them knowing you have shared something profound with these strangers you will never see again.
Embrace the "mindful" mindset of Miraval and soak up and enjoy!!!

Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank Sarah K
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2013

Hi Sarah - Thank you so much for sharing your enthusiasm and love for Miraval. I'm thrilled to hear that our staff, spa, activities, and food exceeded your expectations and left you feeling rejuvenated and excited to return to your life at home. We look forward to welcoming you back to Miraval on a future visit!

Reviewed 30 March 2013

I'd heard a lot of hype about Miraval from PR people and a friend who'd gone several times. So I was expecting a lot ... and it exceeded my expectations. It's pricey, but SO worth the cost, which can't be said for a lot of 5-star resorts. There is something special about this place--the landscape, the people, the spa treatments, the activities. Everyone I encountered who worked there had this really relaxed and happy/chill vibe. And I had the BEST MASSAGE OF MY LIFE here--Manny. I've never felt that loose after a treatment, and I've been getting massages for 20 years. The Shuniya Sound Therapy with Pamela Lancaster was a bit kooky, but she is such an extraordinary individual that I gave myself over to it and emerged more relaxed, optimistic and lighter in spirit. I'd recommend going in March or April when the weather there is warm during the day but not too warm. The hikes are gorgeous, the food is delicious, it's a magical place that I wish everyone could experience at least once in their life.

Room Tip: All their rooms are great, but you could ask for a view of the Catalina mountains for an extra speci...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends

Hi Margaret - I'm thrilled to hear that you loved your experience at Miraval. I truly believe we have the best team of spa therapists in the world and I love hearing that you feel the same. Thank you for being open-minded and willing to appreciate the wonderful work that Pam Lancaster brings to our guests. We hope to see you back at Miraval soon!

Reviewed 30 March 2013

My wife and I just spent 3 nights at Miraval and this was our first visit. The place is beautiful, great surroundings and a fabulous staff. Our room was nice, comfortable and terrific bedding. The staff was knowledgeable and very friendly. Cell phones are prohibited across most of the resort (except in guest rooms) which contributes to the peaceful atmosphere.

We planned ahead and booked several group and individual activities and treatments. I strongly suggest booking spa treatments and activities ahead of time as things book up. There are sign ups every morning for certain group activities and they do fill up, although we were able to do everything we wanted to do and more.

The spa is really nice and super clean. Treatments were very good. The mind in balance theme is present everywhere. All of the specialty classes and speakers we experienced were terrific.

I did a private mountain bike ride for 2 hours one morning with Neil - it was the highlight of my trip (along with the Naga Thai massage). The area around the resort is spectacular and very accessible.

We were pretty busy most of the time, having booked spa treatments, activities and classes each day.

The food was terrific and healthy. Plenty of options and no restrictions on how much one can order. Dinner reservations are required each night and I recommend doing that earlier in the day so you can get the time you want. The pools are nice and well maintained. The spa pool is staffed.

This was a great, mind expanding get away. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in real get away.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tom F

Hi Tom - Thank you for writing such a thorough review of your stay. I'm glad to hear that you and your wife had a lovely visit and were able to experience such a variety of activities and spa services. We hope to see you both back at Miraval on a future visit when you need some R&R!

Reviewed 23 March 2013

A resort Spa that truly lets you relax without being forced to make your vacation a "health event". Don't get me wrong, there are healthy, fit people everywhere and the resort will make sure to have plenty of programs to keep it that way. I, on the other hand, prefer to breathe, spa, pool and eat. I have been four times now and still can't get enough. Sure, I have tried a class or two, but only at my leisure.
This all inclusive, no gratuity allowed resort is small, and even when busy, it's hard to tell. The pools can fill up rather quickly in the afternoon when it's peak season. The rooms are nothing special, but it doesn't matter, your usually only there to sleep. favorite things about this particular resort:
1. Eat in your Spa Robe or exercise attire, YES, even at dinner.
2. No make-up or jewelry required or ever necessary! (makes packing simple) Sure you can "dress" if you would like, but don't be surprised if I'm sitting next to you in my robe and spa hair.
3. FOOD.... WOW!! I miss the food so much when I leave. Yes it is healthy, spa food like I would never prepare nor could I find where I live, but it is amazing! and... you can have chips and guacamole if you want, with an agave margarita and it's OK!
4. The staff - it surprises me every time how friendly and not fake friendly this young staff can be. I have seen a lot of peoples faces I remember from trips before. They deal with a lot of "well-to-do" customers and you will never see a scowl from any staff here.
5. The Spa - ahhhh, not to big, which is perfect in my opinion. I don't feel rushed around like a lab rat. Staff does not push the "buy this product" sales pitch. They are by far the best spa staff I've ever run across. Very knowledgable reception attendants. There are a lot of treatments that you've never heard of, tell the front desk, they will find a treatment for you.
6. No tipping! As much as you will want to, you can't and it's so nice to not have to worry with having money on you.
7. The wildlife... Bobcats (keep your distance, they keep theirs) BIRDS, lots of birds. It sounds like a tropical rain forest if you just close your eyes and listen.

I could go on and on about this resort, but instead, I will plan my next visit. Sure, it's expensive if you first look at the prices, but factor in all that you get with it, even it's just peace and quiet, totally worth the money!

Room Tip: Mountain View rooms are worth the extra. Sitting there drinking coffee watching the wildlife run aro...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2013

Hi there - Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent visit! I can hear your enthusiasm for Miraval through your words and we are so happy to have provided you with the peace and quiet you were looking for. I'm glad to hear that you were "wowed" by our spa staff. I feel honored to be surrounded by some of the absolute best massage therapists and estheticians in the world. We look forward to welcoming you back to Miraval on a future visit!

Reviewed 23 March 2013

Miraval is really one of those amazing experiences that I feel lucky to have had. The grounds are stunning and we had perfect weather everyday. The food is healthy, delicious, and I never felt hungry as there were so many different options to suite a variety of tastes. The juice bar was terrific and they had ingredients to pretty make any fresh juice or smoothie you could possibly think of. Our room was spacious and beautifully appointed with an extremely comfortable bed. The staff were incredibly friendly and all of our spa treatments were wonderful.

My first complaint is that all the unique experiences at Miraval require advance sign up once you are on property and each activity generally has a limit of just 8 people. Upon arrival, we found most of what we wanted to do had already been filled up. The staff claimed that it was an incredibly busy time for them, but I feel that they should have added additional activities if that was the case. They also claim that they can accommodate private activities if you aren't able to go to the scheduled ones, but we asked to have a private scheduled for three different things, and were told they couldn't accommodate any of our requests.

My second complaint was that the afternoons lacked interesting activities or classes (generally just yoga/meditation), and there were several times during the day where there was only one class/activity, so if you weren't interested in it, you were out of luck. On the plus side, this made it so we relaxed at the pool/hot tub more than we would have, but I would have preferred it if we were there because we wanted to be, not because there was nothing else to do.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this resort as it really is a unique experience that I will remember for a long time to come.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Catalina mountains.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends

Hi There - Thank you for sharing about your recent stay with us. I'm glad that you enjoyed our beautiful desert weather, food, spa treatments and your guest room. I do apologize that you were unable to participate in some of the activities you had wanted to do while you were here. During our busiest season, we try our absolute best to add on classes and staff to accommodate all our guests' requests. I hope you''ll have a chance to visit Miraval again and experience those items on a future visit.