“Quick Pick Me Up - Did the Trick - Thanks Miraval Staff”

Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
New York City, New York
“Quick Pick Me Up - Did the Trick - Thanks Miraval Staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2013

I stayed at Miraval for two full days after a business trip to Tuscon. I would have loved to have stayed longer to both really take advantage of all of the classes and activities and have time to relax in different places around this beautiful property. Once oriented to the layout, the expansive grounds are convenient and mostly private.

The food and dining staff are incredible. Most people think spa food = lettuce and no fun. Not true here where there is a variety of tasty creations and no shortage of choice. The juice and coffee bar are open most of the day (service w a smile) and the bar opens around 4 to have a glass of vino - or whatever you'd like, as you relax in conversation or just gazing at the mountains.

I was in the 100s rooms. I spent little time in the actual room. It was functional - no frills - and not so private. My patio was on one of the main walks, couldn't really use it to relax. The room was large, had multiple seating areas and was handicap retrofitted. This was not in my plan - but was the room I was assigned. I was disappointed that housekeeping only visited one time a day and that time was unpredictable. Surprisingly - there is no evening turn down service or small gift/inspirational item left on the bed (as is customary in most spa resorts and world class resorts - in the class of Miraval).

A few notes, I found the welcome tour a bit overwhelming - need to sign up for activities right away or risk not being able to get into them and then need to sign up for dinner. All of this becomes second nature on the second day - but the first intro was fast paced and a ton of info.

I plan to return in the future to enjoy the activities, the spa and the outdoors. One last note, I was fortunate to take the photography skills class with Nancy - who is incredible. In one hour - I learned more about advancing my photog skills - than I head learned in a prior 7 week class. thank you Nancy.

Room Tip: 100s are convenient - some are not private. 600s have a nice view -- but are a haul. You can buy a...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2013

Miraval did exactly what I expected it to – it was wonderful.

When I told my husband I was looking for a wellness spa, he asked me what I wanted to get out of it and I told him I needed the tools to be happier and more peaceful in life – and I got that and a whole lot more.

First, if you are reading this, you already know how expensive these spas are and I was looking for days and couldn’t decide which one I wanted to go to (note, this was about 10 days before I was planning on leaving, so I didn’t have a whole lot of time).

I was reading Trip Advisor and found Donna (my savior) at Mindful Adventures at http://www.mindfuladventures.com/

She was amazing – she is really the travel agent of the wellness spas. She went over what I was looking for, what I needed and guided me to picking Miraval. So if you’re looking and don’t know where to go and what you need, please call Donna – she will not only help you through your journey, but she will get you a great deal and will make sure you have what you want booked (and review what is good and helpful) before you get there. I even called her while I was there and was feeling off and she was able to remind me what I needed to do. Trust me – if you want to book – CALL DONNA!

As for Miraval – the place is amazing – the classes are really exceptional. Yes, there are a lot of different exercise classes and a lot of classes to help you with life. If you review the list of classes, you will see how much they offer and how you can choose whatever is right for you.

There were a lot of people there that have been to several including Canyon Ranch. Some said if they wanted a bootcamp, they would go to Canyon Ranch but if they wanted a mental bootcamp, Miraval was the place.

It was interesting because, when I got back, several people told me I glowed and friends said that I was back to that person they had met years before.

Pros: Beautiful rooms, great options for classes, spa, lectures and personal sessions

Cons:
- Food (I didn’t care for the food – I’m vegetarian, and there weren’t a lot of options and it wasn’t very good, even though it was healthy – I love have they only have healthy food, but then you can have wine at dinner, the wine had more calories than most of the food)
- Service (while overall the service was good, it was a little weird at times, they picked me up at 8am from Tucson airport area but everything was booked for that morning and my room wasn’t ready. I asked for a tour and they said that would happen when I got my room so I sat around for several hours. By the time my room was ready, I was heading to a class so never got the tour – the tour would have been really helpful in the beginning so I could have roamed around myself. Also, when you tried to go to guest services, there was always only 1 person working so you couldn’t get someone to help you and you’d be waiting around.

Overall – I would definitely come here again. I will be bring more snacks but I would definitely come back. Thank you to all of you at Miraval that helped me find my way back to myself.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank ames007VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2013

Miraval is gorgeous -- from the southern Arizona desert mountain setting to the exquisite landscaping, pool, the new award-winning spa, rooms. It could hardly be nicer. The staff are smiling and friendly always. I had been to Tuscon but never Miraval, so thought I'd give it a try with the "Fifth Night Free" promo.

(I booked through www.spa-vacation-experts.com and they were super-helpful and give extra resort credits towards services).

After five nights I was absolutely relaxed and restored -- from warm sun and fresh air, guided hiking, swimming, exquisite spa treatments including a Hammam body scrub and hot stone facial. Also different types of yoga and meditation, healthy, tasty food and great company.

Miraval attracts a a lot of groups getting together for a long weekend of relaxation and fun. The bar serves scrumptious cocktails (additional cost). But all types of travelers were there and having a good time -- singles, couples, groups.

Unfortunately, I have to mention disappointment at not being able to do a number of activities that I was really looking forward to. I booked most services a few weeks before my trip and asked if I'd have any trouble waiting to book certain "energy" services (eg Crystal Bowl sound meditation), and the response was "no you won't." When I called a week or so later with a list of about 10 activities, I wasn't able to reserve any of them because two practitioners on vacation. While at Miraval, I identified a couple of other activities from the guide but was told that a third practitioner was also not there. There were no substitutes - the activities were simply not offered. I did end up booking a Reiki session, which i can do at home, but it was quite good.

Also, I couldn't wait to try the Floating Meditation, which is offered once a week and requires sign-up. At 9am it was full and there was a waiting list. I couldn't get in. The instructor told us we could book a private individual session or round people up for a private group session, but I don't understand why another class couldn't be added if this is supposed to be part of the complementary offerings and there was long waiting list a day and half before. That's more along the lines of what I'd expect at a place like Miraval.

Anyway, if you're looking for a super-relaxing, healthy, rejuvenating getaway, I do highly recommend Miraval as well as another property, Canyon Ranch, which is also in Tuscon, and where I've been a guest a few times. Southern Arizona and both of the properties, while distinct in their own way, have great energy and top experts and offerings that stay with you long after your visit.

As far as the services not being offered, I do think this was shortcoming and not sure what the solution is, but certainly book early and call guest services more than once before you go.

1 Thank suepz
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2013 via mobile

This was my first visit, but it won't be my last. I was apprehensive about a spa vacation. I worried that everyone would be super skinny, super rich, and super snooty. I was pleased to find a variety of people-- all focused on wellness and self care. I made lots of new friends and I am sure we will keep in touch.

The spa services were top notch. My recommendation is that you try something that seems a little out there, but the old faithful treatments like hot stone were amazing too. I liked that the didn't try to force a bunch of expensive products down your throat. I only bought the things that I really wanted.

The food was pretty good. Breakfast is the weak link. But the pastry chef-- wow. Those meringues!! The key lime bars!

I really liked everyone who worked there. Very nice folks. Absolutely kind.

A++

Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 26 April 2013
Hi there - Thank you for writing about your recent stay with us! I'm glad to hear that you found your fellow travelers, our atmosphere, and the Miraval experience down-to-earth and rejuvenating. I'm glad you enjoyed your treatments in the Life in Balance Spa and the food in our Cactus Flower Restaurant. I will certainly pass your kudos on to Pastry Chef Kim Macy - she really is a mastermind of desserts! We look forward to welcoming you back to Miraval in the near future.
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2013

Nestled in the Santa Catalina Mountains is a healing retreat dedicated to creating a new awareness topped with mindfulness. Mindfulness, a state of active and open attention to the present moment and where you will continually find yourself once upon the 400 acres this top rated all inclusive resort is perched.

The weekend I spent there was filled with experiences that incorporate the Miraval Life in Balance philosophy. Offerings included meditation and fitness classes, wellness lectures, workshops and a daily menu of activity options and challenges that guarantee an unforgettable experience. One of the things you will find with the Miraval is that not only do you have your own Aha moments, but you meet other people whose Aha moments create an everlasting impression on your own life.

Guest Susan Yarab and myself were able to experience the Swing and a Prayer group centered on the act of letting go and celebrating life. We both found a joyous release as you swing from a height of 35 feet after adressing each of our transitions in life. I was also roped into another personal challenge with an incredible equestrian interaction with the Miraval Equine Experience. This group was given a chance to work with selected horses and learn to perform equestrian ground skills. This Equine Experience empowers you with your own personal strength and intuition further guiding you to work through personal patterns of learned behavior that may be holding you back from the life you want to live.

The Miraval is filled with many activities to choose from as well as the Life in Balance Spa , Photography, Golf, Horseback and delicious foods that are fresh and healthy, aligned with the philosophy of mindful eating. The Miraval also has a team of specialists that are highly educated and innovative committed to helping change your life for the better.

Their team of well-being specialists put David Clark back in the saddle as well. Mr. Clark had been involved in a bad accident late October 2012 when traveling with his best friend in Ennis, Ireland. Despite his efforts once back in the states he was still left with a lot of pain, grief and immobilization until coming to the Miraval earlier this month as well. He was thrilled to be there and to be developing a new sense of self.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank 938StaceyL
Hi Stacey - Thank you so much for your review! It sounds like you fully embraced the Miraval philosophy and had the kind of experience that has made our resort such a beloved destination for so many people over its 18 year history. Your descriptions of Swing and a Prayer and The Miraval Equine Experience are so vivid - thank you for sharing those with us. So glad that you were able to enjoy our Life in Balance Spa and left feeling rejuvenated in mind, body, and spirit.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Miraval soon!
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2013

This was our 5th visit to Miraval. We are a family of 4 adult children and our Mom. Obviously we have had great experiences in the past or we wouldn't go back. This time the experience was a little disappointing. We made our reservations for 3 rooms in January and requested certain rooms. When we arrived the rooms were not available as the resort was full. We could understand that. However the room assigned to my 80 year old mother and one sister had only one bed and a shower in a tub which my mom couldn't use. They did change her room to one with a shower stall but still only one bed. We were there for 5 nights. They said they would do everything they could to change her room. But they didn't do anything. It all worked out ok but it is disappointing to spend that much money and not get the type of room that you reserved many months before. When we checked out they gave her a $300 credit. That didn't seem fair to me.

On the good side. The spa and staff were amazing. Alena is an amazing massage therapist. The dining room staff were always upbeat and helpful. Elizabeth was our favorite server. The food was great. You can eat as much as you want. The morning hikes were wonderful.

Overall, we had a great trip.

Room Tip: I'm not sure it matters what type of room you ask for since they don't feel that they have t...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Hi there - First, thank you for your continued loyalty to Miraval. We love having you and your family here at our resort. And thank you for writing with your feedback about your recent stay. I do sincerely apologize about the room situation - it's certainly a situation that we do our absolute best to avoid and we appreciate you being flexible as we worked through it. With that said, I'm glad to hear that you had a great trip and enjoyed our hiking, spa, and food. We do hope that you'll visit Miraval again in the future and I hope to personally sit down and talk with you upon your return.
Wall Township, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

My friends and I just returned from a fantastic girl's trip . The food is great , the spa relaxing , the location stunning and the beds dream inducing. This place cares about the cliental . I believe that caring attitude starts at the top. Our group was lucky enough to meet Michael , the GM/Pres. I was very impressed with his experience , knowledge and caring. All in all everything was great. The only minor improvements I would make are 1) at the pools ; drinks service and towel/lounge chair set up. 2) dining room; the wait staff does not live up to the rest of the place ( maybe its hard to get experienced staff out here , I don't know ) 3) the coffee and juice bar need longer hours and more staff. The wait for speciality coffees took forever , maybe they need another machine also. 4)turn down service would be nice 5) lastly , and this one is important , we went on the 7am , 2 hour hike everyday ( fantastic ) but breakfast doesn't start until 6:30 . Very rushed , especially with the slow service and baristas . Breakfast should start at 6.
Other than that 5 stars !!

Room Tip: All the rooms are a little different , but you don't spend much time in them .
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Hi Maddie - Thank you for taking the time to write. It was great to meet you too! I'm glad to hear that you and your friends had such a great visit with us. You're right when you say that we do care very much about our guests and are always looking to improve the guest experience at our resort. I appreciate all of the constructive feedback you mention above and we will certainly take it to heart. We look forward to welcoming you back to Miraval on a future visit.