“Girlfriends Retreat”

Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
“Girlfriends Retreat”
Reviewed 7 May 2013 via mobile

Miraval is an excellent spot to go for a girlfriends trip. The spa is beautiful as its been newly renovated. The assortment of treatments range from the Ultimate Package to a 20 minute head massage. The highlight that set this resort apart from the others is the Outdoor Adventure Program! The ultimate was Quantum Leap II where you and a partner climb up a 35 foot telephone pole and you both stand on a plank 2'x1' wide and jump. Of course you're harnessed in! It was an amazing mental and physical challenge not to mention a bonding time!

• Stayed May 2013
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 7 June 2013
Hi Kimberly - Thank you so much for writing! I'm glad that you enjoyed our new Life in Balance Spa and challenged yourself in Quantum Leap II. Our guests always say that the mindfulness practices they learn about in lectures and workshops suddenly come into practice on the challenge course - I hope that was true for you too! We look forward to welcoming you back to Miraval on a future visit.
Michael

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
Santa Rosa, Ca
Reviewed 7 May 2013

The staff and the classes that are offered are excellent. You have the opportunity to nourish your body, mind and spirit. The food was excellent with so many choices. Our suite was beautifully decorated and spacious. The spa and the services were outstanding.. Enjoyed the natural beauty and all of the art throughout the property.
I was surprised by the number of couples but that said...would love if my husband would join me the next time. I spent 4 nights and would have enjoyed staying a little longer.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Hi there - Thank you for writing about your recent stay with us! I'm glad to hear that you loved your suite, spa services, and all the classes you attended. We hope to see you (and your husband!) on a future visit.
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Just returned from a mother daughter three day escape to Miraval! Inspiring, fantastic and wonderful place to stay! The beds are like sleeping on a cloud, the food was so wonderful and all the classes were presented in a very unique and mindfully way. The spa treatments that are in included were amazing! I love love the fact that is it all included. It was the best trip for two bestt friends and our daughters....we all came away with new inspirations for healthy living. I think this is a very special place to take your daugher! Everything was wonderful.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the desert
Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Bakecz
Hi there - Wow. Thank you so much for writing about your recent mother-daughter trip to Miraval! I'm glad to hear that you loved the bed in your room and embraced the mindfulness philosophy that inspires everything we do at Miraval. We hope you and your daughter take some of the healthy living ideas you got here at Miraval and incorporate them into your daily life at home. We look forward to welcoming you back to Miraval on a return visit!
Reviewed 4 May 2013

I stayed at Miraval for two full days after a business trip to Tuscon. I would have loved to have stayed longer to both really take advantage of all of the classes and activities and have time to relax in different places around this beautiful property. Once oriented to the layout, the expansive grounds are convenient and mostly private.

The food and dining staff are incredible. Most people think spa food = lettuce and no fun. Not true here where there is a variety of tasty creations and no shortage of choice. The juice and coffee bar are open most of the day (service w a smile) and the bar opens around 4 to have a glass of vino - or whatever you'd like, as you relax in conversation or just gazing at the mountains.

I was in the 100s rooms. I spent little time in the actual room. It was functional - no frills - and not so private. My patio was on one of the main walks, couldn't really use it to relax. The room was large, had multiple seating areas and was handicap retrofitted. This was not in my plan - but was the room I was assigned. I was disappointed that housekeeping only visited one time a day and that time was unpredictable. Surprisingly - there is no evening turn down service or small gift/inspirational item left on the bed (as is customary in most spa resorts and world class resorts - in the class of Miraval).

A few notes, I found the welcome tour a bit overwhelming - need to sign up for activities right away or risk not being able to get into them and then need to sign up for dinner. All of this becomes second nature on the second day - but the first intro was fast paced and a ton of info.

I plan to return in the future to enjoy the activities, the spa and the outdoors. One last note, I was fortunate to take the photography skills class with Nancy - who is incredible. In one hour - I learned more about advancing my photog skills - than I head learned in a prior 7 week class. thank you Nancy.

Room Tip: 100s are convenient - some are not private. 600s have a nice view -- but are a haul. You can buy a...
Virginia
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Miraval did exactly what I expected it to – it was wonderful.

When I told my husband I was looking for a wellness spa, he asked me what I wanted to get out of it and I told him I needed the tools to be happier and more peaceful in life – and I got that and a whole lot more.

First, if you are reading this, you already know how expensive these spas are and I was looking for days and couldn’t decide which one I wanted to go to (note, this was about 10 days before I was planning on leaving, so I didn’t have a whole lot of time).

I was reading Trip Advisor and found Donna (my savior) at Mindful Adventures at http://www.mindfuladventures.com/

She was amazing – she is really the travel agent of the wellness spas. She went over what I was looking for, what I needed and guided me to picking Miraval. So if you’re looking and don’t know where to go and what you need, please call Donna – she will not only help you through your journey, but she will get you a great deal and will make sure you have what you want booked (and review what is good and helpful) before you get there. I even called her while I was there and was feeling off and she was able to remind me what I needed to do. Trust me – if you want to book – CALL DONNA!

As for Miraval – the place is amazing – the classes are really exceptional. Yes, there are a lot of different exercise classes and a lot of classes to help you with life. If you review the list of classes, you will see how much they offer and how you can choose whatever is right for you.

There were a lot of people there that have been to several including Canyon Ranch. Some said if they wanted a bootcamp, they would go to Canyon Ranch but if they wanted a mental bootcamp, Miraval was the place.

It was interesting because, when I got back, several people told me I glowed and friends said that I was back to that person they had met years before.

Pros: Beautiful rooms, great options for classes, spa, lectures and personal sessions

Cons:
- Food (I didn’t care for the food – I’m vegetarian, and there weren’t a lot of options and it wasn’t very good, even though it was healthy – I love have they only have healthy food, but then you can have wine at dinner, the wine had more calories than most of the food)
- Service (while overall the service was good, it was a little weird at times, they picked me up at 8am from Tucson airport area but everything was booked for that morning and my room wasn’t ready. I asked for a tour and they said that would happen when I got my room so I sat around for several hours. By the time my room was ready, I was heading to a class so never got the tour – the tour would have been really helpful in the beginning so I could have roamed around myself. Also, when you tried to go to guest services, there was always only 1 person working so you couldn’t get someone to help you and you’d be waiting around.

Overall – I would definitely come here again. I will be bring more snacks but I would definitely come back. Thank you to all of you at Miraval that helped me find my way back to myself.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank ames007VA
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Miraval is gorgeous -- from the southern Arizona desert mountain setting to the exquisite landscaping, pool, the new award-winning spa, rooms. It could hardly be nicer. The staff are smiling and friendly always. I had been to Tuscon but never Miraval, so thought I'd give it a try with the "Fifth Night Free" promo.

(I booked through www.spa-vacation-experts.com and they were super-helpful and give extra resort credits towards services).

After five nights I was absolutely relaxed and restored -- from warm sun and fresh air, guided hiking, swimming, exquisite spa treatments including a Hammam body scrub and hot stone facial. Also different types of yoga and meditation, healthy, tasty food and great company.

Miraval attracts a a lot of groups getting together for a long weekend of relaxation and fun. The bar serves scrumptious cocktails (additional cost). But all types of travelers were there and having a good time -- singles, couples, groups.

Unfortunately, I have to mention disappointment at not being able to do a number of activities that I was really looking forward to. I booked most services a few weeks before my trip and asked if I'd have any trouble waiting to book certain "energy" services (eg Crystal Bowl sound meditation), and the response was "no you won't." When I called a week or so later with a list of about 10 activities, I wasn't able to reserve any of them because two practitioners on vacation. While at Miraval, I identified a couple of other activities from the guide but was told that a third practitioner was also not there. There were no substitutes - the activities were simply not offered. I did end up booking a Reiki session, which i can do at home, but it was quite good.

Also, I couldn't wait to try the Floating Meditation, which is offered once a week and requires sign-up. At 9am it was full and there was a waiting list. I couldn't get in. The instructor told us we could book a private individual session or round people up for a private group session, but I don't understand why another class couldn't be added if this is supposed to be part of the complementary offerings and there was long waiting list a day and half before. That's more along the lines of what I'd expect at a place like Miraval.

Anyway, if you're looking for a super-relaxing, healthy, rejuvenating getaway, I do highly recommend Miraval as well as another property, Canyon Ranch, which is also in Tuscon, and where I've been a guest a few times. Southern Arizona and both of the properties, while distinct in their own way, have great energy and top experts and offerings that stay with you long after your visit.

As far as the services not being offered, I do think this was shortcoming and not sure what the solution is, but certainly book early and call guest services more than once before you go.

1 Thank suepz
Reviewed 24 April 2013 via mobile

This was my first visit, but it won't be my last. I was apprehensive about a spa vacation. I worried that everyone would be super skinny, super rich, and super snooty. I was pleased to find a variety of people-- all focused on wellness and self care. I made lots of new friends and I am sure we will keep in touch.

The spa services were top notch. My recommendation is that you try something that seems a little out there, but the old faithful treatments like hot stone were amazing too. I liked that the didn't try to force a bunch of expensive products down your throat. I only bought the things that I really wanted.

The food was pretty good. Breakfast is the weak link. But the pastry chef-- wow. Those meringues!! The key lime bars!

I really liked everyone who worked there. Very nice folks. Absolutely kind.

A++

Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 26 April 2013
Hi there - Thank you for writing about your recent stay with us! I'm glad to hear that you found your fellow travelers, our atmosphere, and the Miraval experience down-to-earth and rejuvenating. I'm glad you enjoyed your treatments in the Life in Balance Spa and the food in our Cactus Flower Restaurant. I will certainly pass your kudos on to Pastry Chef Kim Macy - she really is a mastermind of desserts! We look forward to welcoming you back to Miraval in the near future.