“Resort Fee???”

Ranked #6 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
Vail, Arizona
“Resort Fee???”
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I had a lovely stay at Miraval. The staff is super polite and really work to make your time at the resort a wonderful experience. The rooms are starting to show their age, but they are doing renovations so stay tuned for that. The spa services are wonderful, many of them different than available at local spas. I took several Yoga and mediation classes and they were great. The Yoga room is peaceful and looks shiny new. The restaurant had excellent food and the servers were very professional and accommodating. The also have a smoothie/juice/coffee bar which is free and very tasty.

My only complaint is the extra charge for the resort fee that was tacked on my bill. Miraval IS a resort, not just a hotel so why isn't this included in the fee. It's not as if it's optional and you can skip the resort services. I know many hotels are starting to do this, but I find it deceptive. Be transparent and just tell me the charge up front. As long as you are not surprised by the fees I think you will have a wonderful stay at Miraval.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank traveler1157
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Hi there - Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay! I'm glad to hear that you found the Agave Center a peaceful setting for yoga and meditation. On your next visit, we would love to have you stay in one of our newly renovated rooms/suites. They are beautiful and I'm sure you will be very pleased. I'm sorry to hear that you were unaware of the resort fee prior to arrival. We certainly make every effort to communicate it clearly on our website, confirmation letter, and on the phone; however, if we missed it with your reservation, we genuinely apologize. It is never our intention to be deceptive. We hope to see you at Miraval soon!
Michael

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 20 September 2013

Miraval in Tucson is a fabulous spa with a very special horse program that sets it apart from other spa experiences. The staff at the stables teaches even the biggest coward how to feel comfortable with these powerful creatures and how to find your inner soul when working with these magnificent animals. The rooms are large and beautiful. The food is delicious. Don't really get the need to have a full bar open from 4 PM to midnight while you are at a spa-the noise gets a bit much around later in the evening. On the other hand, people who spend a lot to go to a week of spa experiences may want to have their wine and cocktails. Horse trails are also beautiful. Staff is great .

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lee Ann M
Hi Lee Ann - Thank you so much for writing about your recent stay! I'm glad that you enjoyed working with our horses at the Purple Sage Ranch! We are extremely proud of our Equine program and the team, led by Wyatt Webb, who facilitates the Miraval Equine Experience as well as trail rides and arena lessons. We look forward to welcoming you back to Miraval in the near future!
Virginia
Reviewed 17 September 2013

I just returned from possibly the best vacation EVER - what an experience! The trip from beginning to end was perfection. I travelled with one of my closest girlfriends - and we both were on cloud 9 for the entire duration of the trip. Upon arrival, a Miraval driver was waiting to transport us to the hotel property - check-in was effortless - and our room (Miraval suite) was spacious and luxurious. All the meals were prepared healthfully and deliciously - with a variety of options for anyone that might have food allergies, sensitivites, etc - we never had a bad meal. The spa treatments were amazing - Deep Tissue (Therapist - Manny); Chi Ne Tsang (Wayne); Vibrant Morning (Nicole); Aqua Zen (Amy); Naga Thai (Matthew) - as were the meditations with Alyssa and Catie - of particular note, the Floating Meditation is a "must do" with Alyssa -- what a "zen-like" experience!! Everyone on property treated us with kindness and care. We also registered for the Horse Experience -- Carolyn headed our group and she did a fantastic job as well! The Miraval property boasts incredible views of the mountains -- which we were able to see up-close when we signed up for a Guided Trail Run (Neil) - this was also a "must" -- what an incredible experience. For anyone looking to get away from it all - traffic, stress, pressures of work/life balance - this is the place for you! The entire property is like a sanctuary - peaceful & quiet - with only the sounds of birds and waterfalls. I can't wait to book my next trip!! Thanks to the entire staff -- as well as Dalice (Spa Supervisor), Mary (General Manager), and Michael (Sales) for making this a trip of a lifetime. We REALLY needed it - more than you can imagine.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank pughc
Hi There - Thanks for your thorough review of your recent stay! It sounds like you experienced a wide range of services and activities during your visit - It's wonderful to hear you enjoyed all of them. I will pass along your appreciation to the team! I speak for all of us when I say that we hope you and your friend took some Miraval mindfulness back home with you. We hope to see you both back at Miraval soon.
Centreville, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 13 September 2013

I just returned home from my very first trip to Miraval. Every part of the experience, from booking it and registering for my activities to arrival, room experience, treatments, dining, etc was absolutely perfect. It was hard for me to imagine just how special a place this is, but I'm so incredibly glad that I went. Each and every member of the staff I interacted with was kind, helpful, patient, and generous. They all seem to be very dedicated to the work they do, no matter what their job. I felt well-taken care of and cared-about during my stay. I stayed in a suite (upgraded at no cost because Wyatt's session got cancelled just before our trip) in the 500's, and the room was breathtakingly beautiful and comfortable. I found a sense of peace at Miraval that I didn't know was missing in my life, and I can honestly say that it was a life-changing experience. I was struck by how quiet and serene the entire property is. I am forever grateful to the staff and to this place for providing the experience - I'll return again and again. I highly recommend this as a travel destination. In particular, I found the food to be incredible and I loved the Aqua Zen treatment, the Naga Thai massage, and the Floating Meditation.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Emma R
Hi Emma - Thank you so much for your kind words! It's great to hear that you felt taken care of from the moment you booked your stay to the moment you departed. We work hard each and every day uphold our philosophy of "mindful guest service" so I'm thrilled to hear that you experienced exactly that. I'm also happy that you found the sense of peace you needed during your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Wood River, Illinois
Reviewed 6 September 2013

This is my first trip to a destination spa , so I have nothing to compare Miraval with. That being said , here are my thoughts and observations.
Take advantage of the free shuttle ride from the airport. It takes an hour. Once you get there there is absolutely nowhere to go in your rental car and more importantly , no reason.
Check in was super easy , followed by a tour of the property and help finding your room. I was in the 200 block of rooms. I reserved the second least expensive category of rooms.
My room was just what I expected. It was sparkling clean. It was spacious and nicely appointed. My back deck faced a dirt road that employee driven golf carts went up and down all day long. The TV is older and should be replaced by a high def flat screen. There is no tub in this room. Now , if you don't get anything else from this review , please get this !! The bed is a bag of marshmallows with sheets made out of butter. Never in my life have I been in a bed that made me feel more comfortable , nurtured and yummy . Wow.
The grounds are exquisite . Full of running water features and native plant life. Every place you look it is immaculately cared for.
The staff is , to a person , caring , nurturing , professional , knowledgable and cool ! The classes and lectures that I attended were very well thought out and presented. All of the exercise equipment and gadgets were in perfect shape , showing no wear and tear.
The spa is lovely . Very serene and welcoming. All of my treatments were exceptional. My favorite one was Naga with Matthew.
The food is very, very good. Breakfast offers a small menu with a special that changes every day along with a well stocked buffet. Lunch is buffet with one special offered and dinner is all menu. The plated meals are beautifully presented and oh so delicious . And yes , there is a dessert menu too ! All the food offerings are accompanied by nutritional information. There are take out boxes at the buffet that you can load up and take on out. All that you want ! Be careful !
The pools are warm and clean and never crowded.
You can find whatever you are looking for here. Learn how to meditate , exercise a little or a lot. Challenge your guts on the challenge course ( I didn't do that) , learn how to eat right , how to de stress , how to grow old gracefully. Get some seldom offered spa treatments. Or just eat great healthy food and sit around the pool staring at the mountains. Whatever you are looking for.....
Don't think twice about coming to Miraval.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Quannanana
Hi there - Wow. Thank you for sharing your love for Miraval with this amazing review. We are so grateful that you chose Miraval for your first destination spa experience; and, we are glad that we were able to provide such a great experience for you. I take great pride in our team of staff and specialists - it's wonderful to hear that your experience with the team was so positive. We are also very proud of our culinary team for their gift of creating delicious food that is low-calorie and thoughtfully presented. I hope you were able to pick up a copy of our Mindful Eating cookbook with over 250 Miraval recipes in it. If not, it is available in our Miraval online store. We hope to welcome you back to Miraval on a return visit! Thank you again for writing about your stay.
Wilmette
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Miraval has something for everyone. Delicious, healthy, beautifully presented food; motivating and deeply inspiring lectures; fitness classes for every level; a world-class spa; and a total commitment to mindfulness and finding balance in life. Every instructor, speaker, and guest service representative was friendly, professional and delighted to be of help. As a solo traveller I met some of the most amazing women, and was able to take care of my body as well as my psyche in a beautiful, tranquil and comfortable setting. Worth every penny!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Kathryn B
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

Miraval is an oasis in the desert. You can choose to recharge your batteries through exercise, meditation, self-exploration, nutrition, or just "being quiet."
The options are vast, there are no dress codes and the all-inclusive, no tipping also contributes to the lack of stress.
The service is warm and attentive without being intrusive.
It's a magical place where one can define a personal plan for vacationing. I/we would return in a heartbeat when specials are available.

• Stayed August 2013