“Wonderful 4 days/3 nights to release and relax”

Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I went to Miraval by myself through a voucher I got on Rue La La. I filled my schedule chock full of activities and treatments and loved every minute. Felt fine being solo, and LOVED the food as well.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Clara O
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Hi Clara - Thank you for sharing your enthusiasm for Miraval! I'm thrilled to hear that you had such a wonderful time here and made the most of your time by keeping busy with activities and spa services. Traveling solo can be difficult for some but we have many guests who come to Miraval solo and come away with new friends. I hope that was the case for you as well! We hope to see you back at Miraval again soon!

Reviewed 21 October 2013

I treated my wife, youngest daughter and mother-in-law to a Miraval long weekend. I was initially skeptical about going to to Miraval for a multi generational vacation, but it turned out to be a wonderful place for the family to renew and reconnect. The activities are manifold and the staff is wonderul. I found it surprisingly friendly; while some people are there to meditate and relax by themselves, there are plenty of those who are looking for friendship and human connection. It was the perfect combination of relaxation, exercise, and social interaction that I needed. The only drawbacks were the food, which I thought was pretty pedestrian for the amount of money you spend, and the intense heat. I knew Arizona summers are hot but it was unbearable in early summer and almost all activities had to be held indoors. All in all, I highly recommend Miraval for a getaway.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Hi There! Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your recent trip. I'm glad you found Miraval to be such a great place for a multi-generational vacation. It sounds like you were all able to find something new to learn and take home with you. We look forward to welcoming you back to Miraval soon!

Reviewed 8 October 2013

My daughter and I went to Miraval for the first time this past week. I read many of the reviews about it on trip advisor that helped me to select our room as well as the various sessions, classes and spa treatments. We requested a room in the 300s. It was the quietest hotel room I've ever experienced. The staff was exceptional. I had trouble turning on the air conditioning system and called for assistance around 9 p.m. Help came quite promptly.
The food was delicious and healthful. There is a buffet for breakfast and lunch as well as daily specials that you can order. There is a three course served dinner during which there is a table for 10 people where you can request seating. It is a good opportunity to meet other guests, especially if you are travelling solo. We both ate heartily and each of us lost about two pounds. As has been mentioned, the grounds are well manicured and the sounds from the streams and various water fountains are soothing. I would highly recommend Wyatt Webb's session Not About the Horse. There are only 11 people in the group, so he can focus on each person. That was definitely an Aha moment for both of us. My daughter had a private with Tejpal for Brennan Energy Healing - another Aha. I had an eventful private with Anne Parker who guided me towards finding balance in my life. Our class with Coach Leigh was great. She speaks with passion about emotional fitness by relating to her experiences as an athlete and coach. We also enjoyed Lovingkindness Meditation. The spa treatments were very good. We both tried craniosacral massage. I was a bit hesitant because it sounds like there is manipulation of the head and neck, but it is a very peaceful and relaxing treatment. There are plenty of exercise classes and challenges. I would have liked a class for women "of a certain age" to include flexibility, balance, posture and exercises to increase bone density. I was fortunate to meet Signe Elwick, a Fitness Instructor who is a personal trainer and a certified posture specialist. I would definitely recommend a private session with her. You are not able to use your cell phones except in your room and some of the common areas. This is a great break from the day to day texts, calls and emails that constantly bombard our space. You definitely need to book Wyatt Webb's session well in advance as well as any of the privates and spa treatments you are interested in. The shuttle service was smooth and everything was extremely well organized. I would definitely recommend taking bug repellent as the mosquitoes come out at dusk. Thank you Miraval - we will return!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank JaniceA885
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2013

Hi Janice - Thank you so much for writing such a thorough review of your recent stay. It seems like you and your daughter were able to experience tons of great activities, private sessions and spa services. I will pass your kudos along to Wyatt, Tejpal, Anne, Leigh and Signe. We look forward to seeing you both back at Miraval soon!

Reviewed 6 October 2013

Staff was exceptional from the moment we arrived. I enjoyed the personal tour. The room was comfortable. No children! The atmosphere was perfect. I highly recommend Miraval. The pool area with the mountain view was amazing.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Karynklw

Hi Karyn - Thank you for your kind words! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and appreciated the serene atmosphere of the resort for your visit. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 2 October 2013

This vacation was supposed to be "mind-changing" and a bit of heaven on earth. I had never been in the desert before, except for Las Vegas and Mexico. The first room I was in had huge, hand-sized, bugs that look a little like a grasshopper. I was told they were mesquite bugs. I am so paranoid of bugs anyway, and when they started collecting on my patio and on the porch just outside my front door, I freaked out. I called the person who handled the guests and I requested another room. Not more than five minutes passed, and an older gentleman arrived to save me! He was so very, very, nice and told me not to worry about making a fuss. He said that he was a little afraid of them when he first encountered them as well. But he said, "honey, you have to admit they are kind of pretty.) They did have various neon colors, so I said they were. Anyway, I was moved to a smaller room but had to fight a little to get my discount. It seems that originally I was in a premium room and was moved to a deluxe? The red ants outside on my patio and the front entrance were just disgusting. They were everywhere! It set the stage for a not so great trip, but I guess it used to be a drug rehab center in previous years. I had a very bad "vibe" from this place the entire time. Most of the staff were very, very, nice and down to earth. The guests, however, were not. I traveled alone, and it is not a welcoming place for solo women. There was no effort by the staff to introduce lone women to each other. Most of the people there had friends or mates traveling with them, so I felt very out of place being alone. Most of the guests were "rich b--------", if you know what I mean. If you have a good buddy to go with, it would be lots more fun. Also, there is a 25.00 room service fee, which is ridiculous. So you end up eating alone and feel very lonely and out of place.

Room Tip: I don't know if there are "good" rooms!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank Laurie1976

Hi Laurie - I'm sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations and that you didn't find Miraval a place welcoming for solo travelers. We have many guests who travel alone and express that Miraval is a wonderful place to connect with new people and come away with new friends. We offer a "Miraval Table" dining experience in our restaurant for dinner each night to encourage solo travelers to sit together and get to know one another. I hope that you will consider this option if you choose to visit Miraval again in the future. I'm glad that we were able to move you to a different room to accommodate your request and so sorry to hear that some of the bugs native to our desert environment had a negative impact on your stay.

Reviewed 21 September 2013

I had a lovely stay at Miraval. The staff is super polite and really work to make your time at the resort a wonderful experience. The rooms are starting to show their age, but they are doing renovations so stay tuned for that. The spa services are wonderful, many of them different than available at local spas. I took several Yoga and mediation classes and they were great. The Yoga room is peaceful and looks shiny new. The restaurant had excellent food and the servers were very professional and accommodating. The also have a smoothie/juice/coffee bar which is free and very tasty.

My only complaint is the extra charge for the resort fee that was tacked on my bill. Miraval IS a resort, not just a hotel so why isn't this included in the fee. It's not as if it's optional and you can skip the resort services. I know many hotels are starting to do this, but I find it deceptive. Be transparent and just tell me the charge up front. As long as you are not surprised by the fees I think you will have a wonderful stay at Miraval.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank traveler1157

Hi there - Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay! I'm glad to hear that you found the Agave Center a peaceful setting for yoga and meditation. On your next visit, we would love to have you stay in one of our newly renovated rooms/suites. They are beautiful and I'm sure you will be very pleased. I'm sorry to hear that you were unaware of the resort fee prior to arrival. We certainly make every effort to communicate it clearly on our website, confirmation letter, and on the phone; however, if we missed it with your reservation, we genuinely apologize. It is never our intention to be deceptive. We hope to see you at Miraval soon!

Reviewed 20 September 2013

Miraval in Tucson is a fabulous spa with a very special horse program that sets it apart from other spa experiences. The staff at the stables teaches even the biggest coward how to feel comfortable with these powerful creatures and how to find your inner soul when working with these magnificent animals. The rooms are large and beautiful. The food is delicious. Don't really get the need to have a full bar open from 4 PM to midnight while you are at a spa-the noise gets a bit much around later in the evening. On the other hand, people who spend a lot to go to a week of spa experiences may want to have their wine and cocktails. Horse trails are also beautiful. Staff is great .

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lee Ann M

Hi Lee Ann - Thank you so much for writing about your recent stay! I'm glad that you enjoyed working with our horses at the Purple Sage Ranch! We are extremely proud of our Equine program and the team, led by Wyatt Webb, who facilitates the Miraval Equine Experience as well as trail rides and arena lessons. We look forward to welcoming you back to Miraval in the near future!