“exceptional stay!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
Tucson, Arizona
“exceptional stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

The Miraval spa and resort exceeded my expectations once again! My all inclusive stay included exceptional services such as complimentary valet, unlimited access to the juice, coffee, and tea bar, exceptional dining services, a no tipping policy, and a plethora of spa and wellness amenities. I slept in the most luxurious bedding imaginable, and the food was uniquely exquisite tapered for the health conscious soul. The spa has been remodeled since my last trip (to the tune of 8 million) and I was pampered by Ella with the Ayurvedic body balancing and detox treatment. Mckinlay was our gracious host who helped us feel at home upon our arrival, and pampered us like royalty the entire trip. Her enthusiasm and knowledge for the property was very impressive. I began my morning with Yoga in the scenic Agave room surrounded by the captivating Catalina Mountains, and my day ended in a tantalizing steam room and whirlpool. I am a seasoned spa and resort traveler and this is definitely one of my favorite spas.

Room Tip: rooms have been recently remodeled
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
spacificallyspas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

This was my second visit to Miraval and it exceeded my first stay - leaps and bounds.

My visit this time was with intention. Whether you are looking for a little adventure, r&r or deep soul searching there is something for everyone.

I love "It's Not About The Horse", Wyatt Webb leads this and he also is the founding father of this experience/therapy - because for alot of people it winds up being very emotional.

The resort offers 3 meals a day, snacks, juice, tea, water. Bar is cash. You get a certain amount of money / credit toward some services others are additional money. It's not about the horse", is additional money.

My first trip was a girl getaway, this trip was a couple getaway and business.

Resort/Destination Spa great for Corporate retreat, team building, friends. Minimum age I think 16. Really not a place for families with young children.

Room Tip: I would get a room with a patio that overlooks the mountains.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Hi Eileen - Thank you so much for writing about your recent stay. I'm glad that you enjoyed It's Not About the Horse with Wyatt Webb. He's been working with our guests for 18 years! We look forward to welcoming you back on a future visit.
Oro Valley
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

This was the second year in a row I spent Thanksgiving week or weekend at Miraval and will not be returning for a third. There have been changes resulting in a significant decline in the overall experience.

It is interesting to note that Miraval promotes their packages as being all inclusive. What they fail to mention is the "amenity charge" that I believe was approximately an additional 25% per day. Many of the exercise classes, lecture classes and personal challenge experiences that were included last year now cost upwards to $150 per session. Even the easy morning hike now costs $15. The offerings of included exercise classes are limited and the free lecture classes were taught by personal with other facility jobs and limited knowledge.

I also did not find the previous focus on Intergrated Wellness and learned that Dr. Jim Nicolai left four or five months ago and there was no longer a medical director. Dr. Jim Nicolai worked closely with Dr. Andrew Weil. Now the pieces fell into place and I understood why it no longer felt like a top-notch program.

Next year I'm going to Canyon Ranch.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
6 Thank CafeFan
Hi there - I'm so sorry to hear that you were not aware of our resort fee. We certainly have no intention to miscommunicate and our packages are quoted inclusive of taxes and resort fees at the time of booking. If there was a misunderstanding at the time of your reservation, we do apologize. We wish you all the best on your future travels.
Dallas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013 via mobile

I was huge fan of Miraval and have visited many times. I'm not sure I will be returning after my last trip. The resort has gotten a lot more crowded, and the management just hasn't found a great way to handle the added guests.

I have never minded cost of the resort, but the new policy of charging for everything, including once free hikes on property, give you the feeling of being nickel and dimed during your stay. The classes (even with my early sign up) have gotten impossible to get in. They really need to add more classes rather than charge for the few they have.

Getting dinner reservations is difficult as well. On more than one occasion, I had limited time in which to eat due to my treatment schedule, and I almost went without dinner one night.

The authentic circle benefits change literally every time I visit. Some of the benefits are better, but most are not.

I recognize they are going through some growing pains, but it's clear that management is not on top of the issues or talking to the staff about their added stresses. The staff, as usual, were lovely. The people at Miraval are fabulous, and the treatments at the spa are amazing.

That said, I miss the resort I fell in love with years ago. It's not the same, and I don't think I will risk another disappointing trip. Incidentally, I overheard two other women discussing some of my same frustrations so it's clear the "regulars" are not happy with the changes.

Stayed September 2013
10 Thank ccg36
Hi there - I'm sorry that your recent stay with us did not meet your expectations. We have made some changes to our signup process and Authentic Circle loyalty program based on our guests' feedback. We appreciate you sharing your feelings with us as we continue to evolve. Should you choose to return to Miraval on a future visit, we would love to help plan your itinerary in advance to insure that your experience is all that you wish it to be.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

I went to Miraval by myself through a voucher I got on Rue La La. I filled my schedule chock full of activities and treatments and loved every minute. Felt fine being solo, and LOVED the food as well.

Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Clara O
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Hi Clara - Thank you for sharing your enthusiasm for Miraval! I'm thrilled to hear that you had such a wonderful time here and made the most of your time by keeping busy with activities and spa services. Traveling solo can be difficult for some but we have many guests who come to Miraval solo and come away with new friends. I hope that was the case for you as well! We hope to see you back at Miraval again soon!
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

I treated my wife, youngest daughter and mother-in-law to a Miraval long weekend. I was initially skeptical about going to to Miraval for a multi generational vacation, but it turned out to be a wonderful place for the family to renew and reconnect. The activities are manifold and the staff is wonderul. I found it surprisingly friendly; while some people are there to meditate and relax by themselves, there are plenty of those who are looking for friendship and human connection. It was the perfect combination of relaxation, exercise, and social interaction that I needed. The only drawbacks were the food, which I thought was pretty pedestrian for the amount of money you spend, and the intense heat. I knew Arizona summers are hot but it was unbearable in early summer and almost all activities had to be held indoors. All in all, I highly recommend Miraval for a getaway.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hi There! Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your recent trip. I'm glad you found Miraval to be such a great place for a multi-generational vacation. It sounds like you were all able to find something new to learn and take home with you. We look forward to welcoming you back to Miraval soon!
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

My daughter and I went to Miraval for the first time this past week. I read many of the reviews about it on trip advisor that helped me to select our room as well as the various sessions, classes and spa treatments. We requested a room in the 300s. It was the quietest hotel room I've ever experienced. The staff was exceptional. I had trouble turning on the air conditioning system and called for assistance around 9 p.m. Help came quite promptly.
The food was delicious and healthful. There is a buffet for breakfast and lunch as well as daily specials that you can order. There is a three course served dinner during which there is a table for 10 people where you can request seating. It is a good opportunity to meet other guests, especially if you are travelling solo. We both ate heartily and each of us lost about two pounds. As has been mentioned, the grounds are well manicured and the sounds from the streams and various water fountains are soothing. I would highly recommend Wyatt Webb's session Not About the Horse. There are only 11 people in the group, so he can focus on each person. That was definitely an Aha moment for both of us. My daughter had a private with Tejpal for Brennan Energy Healing - another Aha. I had an eventful private with Anne Parker who guided me towards finding balance in my life. Our class with Coach Leigh was great. She speaks with passion about emotional fitness by relating to her experiences as an athlete and coach. We also enjoyed Lovingkindness Meditation. The spa treatments were very good. We both tried craniosacral massage. I was a bit hesitant because it sounds like there is manipulation of the head and neck, but it is a very peaceful and relaxing treatment. There are plenty of exercise classes and challenges. I would have liked a class for women "of a certain age" to include flexibility, balance, posture and exercises to increase bone density. I was fortunate to meet Signe Elwick, a Fitness Instructor who is a personal trainer and a certified posture specialist. I would definitely recommend a private session with her. You are not able to use your cell phones except in your room and some of the common areas. This is a great break from the day to day texts, calls and emails that constantly bombard our space. You definitely need to book Wyatt Webb's session well in advance as well as any of the privates and spa treatments you are interested in. The shuttle service was smooth and everything was extremely well organized. I would definitely recommend taking bug repellent as the mosquitoes come out at dusk. Thank you Miraval - we will return!!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Janice A
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Hi Janice - Thank you so much for writing such a thorough review of your recent stay. It seems like you and your daughter were able to experience tons of great activities, private sessions and spa services. I will pass your kudos along to Wyatt, Tejpal, Anne, Leigh and Signe. We look forward to seeing you both back at Miraval soon!