“Beyond expectations”

Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Finally made it to Miraval in October after hearing about it for years. It exceeded my every expectation. The service from start to finish was outstanding - bus pick-up from the airport, check in, instructors, wait staff, and guides...every interaction was exceptional. The level of service consistently put the experience of guests first.

Food: abundant, fresh, healthy, tasty, and with a varied selection. Portion sizes were such that you could indulge in three courses without feeling stuffed. Snacks and smoothies/juices were available when the restaurant was closed, so you had food options all day.

Rooms: I opted for a larger room with sitting area, patio, mountain view, and large tub...definitely worth it. The bed is probably the most comfortable I have slept in, which made it hard to get out of.

Activities: something for everyone. Try to check the schedule ahead of time so you visit on days when courses of interest are offered. While tempting to race from activity-to-activity, do leave time to relax. The morning hike is a must along with at least one challenge course!

Cons: none...even the guests were friendly and you may find yourself making friends along the way.

Looking forward to returning with my husband for a couples weekend.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank monicam570
There are newer reviews for Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa

Reviewed 25 December 2013

Here's the summary: Incredible, wonderful place living off its former glory.

I've been coming to Miraval for 12 years (I'm here right now :). It certainly crested in terms of quality and experience about 5 years ago and has been trending steadily downhill since. It's a shame. It's a wonderful place.

First, what I love:
The food. To die for. Who would have thought you could get this kind of food at a spa?
The facility. Beautiful, serene. A wonderful, tranquil setting. They've put a lot of $ into this place since Steve Case bought it.
The service. In general, service is great. The services at the spa are more of a mixed bag. You really really want to request people at the spa that you've heard or know are good. On average, it's better than anywhere, but there always seem to be some who slip through.

Next, what I hate:
The nickel & diming. Over the last few years, fees have appeared for all kinds of things. It's like flying Ryanair. Not a luxury experience. Not just a nuisance either, the fees are steep. Welcome to Miraval! Want to take a class - that's extra. Eat in you room? Extra. I bought a bottle of wine and got charged $25 for someone to bring it to my room. Ouch
The crowds. Occupancy has gone up. Way up. The resort feels a lot more like a cruise line now. Pack 'em in. Lots of specials to bring in more heads. Want to take that class? Forget it, it's full.
The dumbing down. There used to be a good mix of easy, medium, and advanced activity. Slowly, that mix has turned more and more to the beginner activities with less and less for people who are fit before they arrive to do.

All that and I'm still here giving in four stars. Maybe next year I'll try Canyon Ranch but I wish they would fix this place instead. I love it here.

Update: since we've been here a few days, we've heard an avalanche of sentiments just like ours. The changes seem to have massively accelerated over the last year or so.

Thee seems to be a increasing focus on squeezing as much $ out of the he resort as possible. From little things like no more Wall Street a journal/New York Times at breakfast to issues concerning the employees. For example, I found out that where employees used to eat the same food as guests - or close to it - as a benefit, they've now totally shut it down. I would also note that the free snacks have disappeared from my villa - as did the barbecue? Was my barbecue a major cost?

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
17  Thank David J
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Miraval is a spa that goes way beyond the "knocked out & pretty" nourishing all aspects of the mind, body & soul. I always come away with new friends met during classes, etc. Be brave and try something new.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Barbara Y
Reviewed 17 December 2013

I must say, Miraval is one the truly special places I have been! The food is so fresh, healthy and delicious. If you go to Miraval be sure to ask for Nick Thomas and Rebecca Krug as massage therapists in the spa. Their healing hands and energy made all of the difference in the world for me.

Every little detail is taken care of at Miraval! All you need to do is show up and relax in such a healthy and healing environment.

I recently had foot surgery. Upon arrival, my foot was swollen and very painful. After two extended massages with Nick and one with Rebecca, my swelling around the incision was gone, my hip was back where it needed to be after compensating due to the orthopedic boot! They cared so much and worked so hard! I truly feel like a new person.

The juice bar is spectacular and all fresh as is all of the food in the dining room. Great wine selection! Truly a desert oasis. I will be back soon!

Thank you so much for the experience at a time when I needed the healing energy the most.

Room Tip: Something in the 100's to be close to spa and dining. Room walls are thin. Can hear people in ot...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Traveler_200950
Reviewed 15 December 2013

My best friend and I researched a lot of different properties to take a much needed vacation. We chose this Spa and Resort for several reasons. I cannot say just how amazing and how it surpassed both of our expectations on all levels. The staff was extremely kind and displayed the up most professionalism. The Spa was so beautiful and every service was an escape of its own. I have traveled all over the world visiting destination resorts and Miraval, hands down was a life changing experience..I highly recommend anyone searching for a time to quiet their mind and enjoy wonderful food, atmosphere and non traditional spa services to book now!!!!!!

Room Tip: Any room in the 600, wonderful view of the mountains and very private!!!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jennifer H
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Stayed at Miraval recently and had such a wonderful time. Best place to nourish your mind body and spirit. I was surprised how many things they had to offer for all interests. The staff was wonderful and the food is the best! My favorite was the spa they were very accommodating and knowledgeable. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Hcthockeymom
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I consider myself a mindful person; I work in specialized healthcare; encourage healthy living and living in the moment. When I arrived at Miraval for my 3 days " retreat"; I received paper and an envelope to write myself a letter at the end of my visit... what my Miraval stay had meant to me, and honestly I did not take it too seriously...I was looking forward to relaxing, great food, and a great spa....but I had no real expectations for life changing moments. I have had a lot of those in my life already...
However, I have to say that my experience at Miraval did change my life. It was a combination of several things; my loves...amazing yoga and fitness classes; that are somehow still about being in the moment; really in the moment. My first Qi Gong class...ahhaaaaa. And of course amazing beauty in the desert. I did three spa treatments; I have never felt so pampered. I also did a private session of tibetan bowl sound therapy and healing. I cannot express the amazing experience of being rested and "in the moment" to experience self awareness and healing.
I left there feeling like a new woman; but also wondering " can I maintain this new me?" ...3 months later; the answer is yes...it was that profound an experience...it has changed my sense of self; my relationships both personal and occupational. I WILL return!

Room Tip: The rooms are amazing; exquisite amenities, quiet of course, etc...the bed was so wonderful....I act...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends