“This place is amazing”

Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Beautiful accommodations, first class facilities, spa, restaurant, it's all good. There is a large variety of classes, interesting lectures, and enough physical actives to suit every lifestyle.
The staff is first rate, the setting beautiful. I am so planning on going back!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 5 January 2014

I had always wanted to go to Miraval, and was lucky enough to spend 3 nights there in November. I was travelling solo, which can sometimes feel uncomfortable, but not at Miraval. Everyone that I met, from staff to other guests, were exceptional. I'm sure that the resort receives kudos all the time for Andrew Wolf, or Sheryl Brooks, who are amazing, but what about the rest of the unsung heroes at Miraval? On day one, while still trying to get my bearings, I decided to pop into a session on skincare (start off easy, right?), well, the speaker, Kim, was fantastic. She's been at Miraval for 16 years, and gets that you don't have to push 'their' products. To her credit, she would say 'we use this cream, it's expensive but worth it.' For another product, she would give comparable choices that were more affordable, very refreshing. I'm anti-facials because I feel that they spend too much time telling you what to buy, and at the end of the treatment, there's a bag of $300 worth of suggested purchases. Not so at Miraval - they get it!

Then there are the amazing folks that lead the hikes, who respect that everyone is at a different fitness level, and they have enough people joining the trip to ensure that you are working out at your potential. Bike riding, yep, they have that down too, I got so overheated on the ride, that the lovely Leslie, hung back with me, while I pulled it together. Making me not feel like a fool, and instead had all the time in the world to make sure that I was okay and we walked our bikes back. This stuff matters.

I've been to many nice places, but Miraval has the magical combination of casual and luxury. No matter what your situation is, you will not feel like an outsider at Miraval. Go to Miraval!

Ahhh, 2 months later and I still carry around The Zen of Miraval.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 January 2014

This was my first visit to Miraval. My overall experience has been excellent. A great way to begin the new year. The spa staff is truly first rate. I did not experience a single mediocre treatment or service. That said, the stand-out service that I received was the 4 hour New UnTHAI'd Thai massage with Bill. Four hours may sound like a long time, but I can tell you that I regretted how quickly it ended and would do it again if I were here on the days when he does it. I had a pulled groin issue that had been with me for 6 years which is now gone. The one low spot was the jackhammering in the pool area. it just seems like if your central theme is tranquility and mindfulness, you can't jackhammer--especially when charging premium rates. But it was still overall a great experience and I will probably come back, if for no other excuse than to do the UnTHAI'd again!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank seattlechickenlady
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We chose to go to Miraval for our vacation in October and it was overall a nice experience.

Pre-arrival
We emailed back and forth with the pre-booking consultants to book our activities beforehand so that we weren't disappointed by full classes. There was only one class that was already full by the time I booked but was able to book everything else we wanted. Make sure to send your flight itinerary at least 1 week beforehand to get your shuttle booked.

Arrival
We were met by the driver at the Airport and began our car ride to Miraval which was uneventful. Upon arrival, we didn't need to worry about our luggage and were escorted to the check-in booths. There isn't a check-in desk but individual seated consultants who you sit with. I'd seen some feedback on this site about avoiding the 100 rooms but it wasn't necessary as we were placed in the 400s. We were then given a tour with three other arriving people around the resort. It was already dark at 6pm so it was really hard to see and remember the routes but after spending a couple days it was easy to get it down. We were shown to our room and our luggage had already arrived.

Room
The room was decent. We overlooked the tennis courts but that was irrelevant to me since the goal was to spend minimal time in the room. However there is one note about the room that should be reviewed. At roughly $600 a night I expected everything in the room to be whisper quiet. The toilet is loud. When I say loud, think the equivalent of the flush of an airport toilet; in fact it is exactly like an airport toilet in noise level and volume of water used for flush. Please note this is you're a light sleeper and the other person uses the bathroom during the night. Also the walls are thin. I heard the the TV in the other room and heard someone having 'fun'. For reference I stayed in a comparatively cheap Fairmont who hosted a cheerleading conference along with two holiday parties and was completely booked and heard nothing during the night...whisper quiet.

Activities
These were stellar. I went primarily for the classes and spa and have no complaints. These were 5 star and I'm not going to belabor them here as anything you take will be great. Every day they left you with your schedule at your door to remind you of bookings, cancellations etc. it was pretty seamless

Restaurant
Food was great. Don't be scared by the small quantities for dinner. You can choose two appetizers if you like and then you have entree and dessert. I mean this isn't a Chinese buffet or Cheesecake Factory with large amounts of sub-standard food....small amounts of very high-quality food.my husband was hoping for more vegetarian selections for dinner so that's a note hopefully they can take back.

Departure
As seamless as the arrival.
My husband who's hard to please with our vacations said he'd definitely like to return. We might try late September as we like warmth, it was a little chilly in December.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kay H
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Spent 5 days at the beautiful Miraval property. Let's start with the positive. The Spa is simply outstanding. Very tranquil and with an abundance of services available, it is definitely a must do.

The food quality is incredible. I enjoyed every meal and it was great to be able to monitor the nutritional info. All meals were right portion sized, which I appreciated. The staff always went out of their way to provide a high level of service.

The rooms and other facilities were in excellent shape. Most comfortable bed I ever slept on.

The only concern I had with my visit was the lack of availability for activities. My friend and I made the mistake of not signing up beforehand. When we got there, many of the activities we wanted to do were already booked.

It felt like the time period we were there, they were understaffed. In fact, many return guests and some of their staffed talked about how busy it was.

I would suggest that Management be better prepared for these busy periods, as it created a negative vibe for us. I would also suggest for first time guests, that the emails that were sent, be more specific as to why its important to sign up ahead of your visit. That would have helped make a good visit, a great visit. Oh yes, and bathroom slippers, please. Floors are cold.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sharon R
Reviewed 31 December 2013

I just returned from a 5 night trip to Miraval....eventhough I read many reviews, I never expected what I encountered! Gorgeous rooms (mine was 118) - no problem with plumbing! Every need was met as soon as I spoke it...my highlights of incredible journeys...the spa (Paula, thank you! you gave me the best arm and hand massage and manicure!) Caroline, my first horse journey teacher, your gentleness and intelligence will guide me with my own horse at home...Reanne, thank you! You gave me the courage that I can do this!, Maggie, you gave me the beginnings of peace I have never felt, Wyatt, you are brilliant and your eyes let me feel all your brilliance and a window into my own work that I will continue to do, and Lolita, thank you for an experience that I will never forget, you allowed me to connect in ways with just what I needed to, your magical hands are a gift that I wish everyone could experience...get ready for an experience of a lifetime, new friends that you will meet who will give you courage to do the work you want to do, a lovely atmosphere, food beyond compare, and the staff and management who knew just the right things to do when they needed to do them...Thank you Miraval, I will most definitely be back! Please, if you have a chance, go, there is more to do there than you can ever have time for, but whatever your pleasure, it is there! The best place on earth...

Room Tip: I'm not sure about other sections, but I loved my room..it was in the 100's, brand new, love...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank doggieworshiper5
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Finally made it to Miraval in October after hearing about it for years. It exceeded my every expectation. The service from start to finish was outstanding - bus pick-up from the airport, check in, instructors, wait staff, and guides...every interaction was exceptional. The level of service consistently put the experience of guests first.

Food: abundant, fresh, healthy, tasty, and with a varied selection. Portion sizes were such that you could indulge in three courses without feeling stuffed. Snacks and smoothies/juices were available when the restaurant was closed, so you had food options all day.

Rooms: I opted for a larger room with sitting area, patio, mountain view, and large tub...definitely worth it. The bed is probably the most comfortable I have slept in, which made it hard to get out of.

Activities: something for everyone. Try to check the schedule ahead of time so you visit on days when courses of interest are offered. While tempting to race from activity-to-activity, do leave time to relax. The morning hike is a must along with at least one challenge course!

Cons: none...even the guests were friendly and you may find yourself making friends along the way.

Looking forward to returning with my husband for a couples weekend.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends