“8th visit”

Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed 13 March 2014

I miss the good old days. They changed ownership and so much has changed and not for the better. As Miraval gets more and more known, less and less is offer.
It was once about: MIND, BODY & SOUL. Now it's more like MONEY, MONEY & MONEY.
The acitivcties were once free, last year. It was a complete no money or charge resort. Now, everything has a cost.
It's the simple stuff too. Turn down service was included and they left youa gradituted card on your pillow each night.
I miss the good old days, before it became well known for the famous.
once, you could order anything on the menu if you wanted, now you can only have one protein per person. One was fine for me (a women) but for my husband one protein was not enough. If you choice to try more than one item there was "guess" A FEE!!!!

Room Tip: choice to upgrade to have a moutain view. You will be so happy to have wine and watch the sun go dow...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Kymm I
Write a ReviewReviews (1,283)

Reviewed 5 March 2014

Arrived to Miraval on January 1st only to find myself in the middle of a construction site in a swimming pool area with excruciating jack hammering all day long. The noise made it absolutely impossible to use the Body Mindfulness Center next door or enjoy the outdoor pools and treatment area. It took quite a bit on pushing to get some truthful information about the duration of and hours of construction works from the management. Many guests were upset to the point that a group of us wrote a letter to Steve Case. I decided to switch to Canyon Ranch - the best decision ever. There were a number of guests who escaped Miraval due to the construction noise and overall disappointment with nickel and diming, poor service, disappointing level of activities offered and obnoxious attitude. The management tried to inflate my bill in the most brazen way and kept arguing even after being caught red-handed with their number not adding up. Miraval used to be one my favourite places in the world and to see its level coming down so drastically is very disappointing.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
12  Thank lanushka
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I had heard about Miraval for a few years, but finally went two years ago November with a girlfriend and really enjoyed everything - the spa, the food, the landscape, the service providers, the staff - everything. It was expensive, but it was wonderful. When my son wanted to try it I decided to take him (and then my daughter - will be there on Thursday) in December for 3 nights as well. We had a wonderful time, really tried all kinds of services, attended some interesting lectures, and spent a lot of time just talking and laughing. He always makes me laugh but we had a great time - I am so looking forward to this stay with my daughter. Love the massages and the other treatments too - sadly Tim Frank and Pam Lancaster won't be there this weekend :( but I have no doubts this won't be my last visit.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Miraval, you hold a special place in my heart. I am lucky enough to be a return guest and although there are a lot of changes, I believe some of them are great.
You used to have to sign up on a piece of paper the night before to get into the activities, but not anymore. When the schedule comes out (a month or two before), you may sign up with guest relations. This made me feel so much more relaxed and prepared before coming. However, as many regular visitors may be shocked by, you now have to pay for many of the activities that were once complimentary. This means, the hikes, mountain biking, challenges, aerial yoga, floating meditation, etc.
Now, we went during a time where there was a bonus resort credit. Had this not been the case, I would have been truly upset to have to pay for anything extra that was once included with your stay.
Vladamir is still by far the best massage therapist and he has been there for a long time. If I go there again and he is booked because I said his name, I'll be upset. Really. The new spa is gorgeous, especially the fire pit in the back. Finding a robe or sandals in the locker room was almost impossible, so I think they should do a better job at keeping the lockers organized, but I can't complain too much, the place is so great!
The highlights:
Any Challenge (you have to try one!!!)
Level D hike (legs still hurt)
Mountain biking
Zen Boot Camp, Chi Gong, Roll With it
Morning Meditations

The minor gripes:
Juice Bar needs to be open until 4 or 5, especially with the fitness classes all day, it would have been nice to have access to a protein shake
Not having a more casual dinner option or a "take-out"
Rooms not having a coffee maker
The beds being too comfortable and having too many great things on the schedule, that I couldn't lay in it enough.

But, nothing will take away from the 5 star review. There is something for everyone here, whether you are a couple, alone, girls trip, relaxing, adventurous, to find yourself, to find peace, to revive your soul, whatever your scenario, GO, It is heaven.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I was expecting wonderful but the experience was over the top. Everyone was helpful and kind. The food is fresh, healthy and delicious and includes a calorie count. The spa is wonderful! Again, everyone is knowledgeable and kind. The hydro facial is out of this world. Steam room, showers and whirl pool are not to miss. The sheets and pillows are some of the best I've every slept on. The classes are encouraging and helpful - you always leave feeling great. If there is one spa to visit, this one should be it.

Room Tip: Ask for one which doesn't have a patio facing the mail lodge.
1  Thank 1234Sunflower
Reviewed 25 February 2014

This is one of the worlds gems. What a beautiful place! The service in none other than perfect! Every staff member was amazing. The beauty is not only did they accommodate but they were genuinely nice.
I am not the outdoorsy type but I LOVE this small slice of heaven. The spas were fantastic. Web Wyatt is worth every penny. This man has an amazing gift. The seminars/classes also worth attending. If you are looking for a crazy get away this is not your spa. If you are looking to relax, meditate and just beauty surrounding you. Pack your bags!

Room Tip: You truly cannot go wrong in any room. I stayed in the 600 and 100's both beautiful!
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I joined my girlfriend for 4 days at Miraval hoping, like most who come, to escape the everyday grind of the daily stresses in life. Upon arrival, I was most impressed with the location, the hotel room, the spa...everything about the grounds of this resort is exactly what you would hope.

Other pros: the fitness/yoga staff as well as the spa services. I came to work out hard in the morning and relax in the afternoon - I got exactly that. The floating meditation, Zen bootcamp, and Cardio Dance, morning hike were all highlights of the fitness classes/yoga classes I took. Additionally, I could not say more great things about the spa - the deep tissue was one of, if not the best deep tissue massage I've ever received.

It would have been a perfect trip...if it wasn't for the lack of SERVICE which has already been referenced in previous reviews. From the start of our trip, there was a tremendous amount of miscommunication about scheduling - and nobody on the client service side wanted to have accountability of seeing that the mis-scheduled events would be changed for me. There were numerous times when the staff at the front desk said they would get back to me, or "take care of it", and I woke up the next day only to find that nothing had been fixed. Additionally, it seems as though every individual on the waitstaff was either young (read: green) or quite nervous/inexperienced. At an amazing place like Miraval, guest-facing staff are THE most important aspect of the resort, I felt as though they were mismanaged.

Great location, overall good experience, terrible client service. Likely not coming back (will be seeking out other spa experiences that value "the experience", but will fondly remember my time here.

10  Thank CristinaBehrens