“Beautiful Resort” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
Los Gatos, California
“Beautiful Resort”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

I reserved a 3-night Miraval stay using a TravelZoo voucher, which cost $1198. The value was shown as $3528. I called Miraval and made a reservation over my birthday, a Friday to Monday schedule. I appreciated that there was no restriction on weekend use. In retrospect, I should have asked a girlfriend to go with me. Even though my husband appreciated the beauty of the desert and the ambiance of the spa, he wasn't interested in taking any of the classes so the resort fee that we paid for him which covers classes was wasted on him. I would have loved to go with a friend who could have enjoyed the classes with me.

When we arrived at the Tucson airport we could have been picked up by a shuttle bus from Miraval, but my husband didn't want to be "stuck" in one place that's nearly an hour from the city, so he rented a car. There was no charge for parking, and I noticed that there were very few cars in the parking lot, so I think most people take the shuttle. Had I come with a friend, that's what I'd do. We were personally escorted to our room, which I noticed is their procedure. As we headed toward the 100's block of rooms I experienced a moment of panic because I had read on TA that people said to avoid it because of problems with plumbing and water. So I asked the rep if the problems had been fixed. She stopped for a moment and said "have you been here before"? She said that the problems had been fixed and that all rooms had been remodeled in that section.

Room 108 was conveniently located close to the restaurant. You couldn't get any closer, in fact it was our view from our patio. It's a pretty building so not offensive, but it would have been nice to be located on a stream or facing the desert. The reason for the close proximity to the restaurant was that this was an "accessible" room, fitted with grab bars in the bathroom and a handicapped shower, which was a problem. Each shower flooded the bathroom floor because it's designed for wheelchair access. So after we realized that on the first day we used the showers in the spa on subsequent days. I didn't complain or ask to be moved because I figured it was only for 3 nights. If it were a longer stay, I would have asked for a relocation. The bedding was heavenly and the temperature control (air/heat) operated without noise. We slept like babies.

Meals. Fabulous. Whoever walks away from a Miraval meal hungry has a problem. There are buffets for breakfast & lunch, with entrees as well. I loved the Maya flavored iced teas served at lunch and immediately Googled to find out where to buy some. Can't wait for my order to arrive. Dinners are somewhat light, but you are allowed to order two starters along with your main entree. If you order a bottle of wine and don't finish it they will re-cork and store it in their wine cooler for the next time you want to drink it. Prices of wine were comparable to restaurants, not overpriced for the quality of the restaurant. There is also a late afternoon appetizer table located in the bar, across from the restaurant. We found prices of drinks to be VERY reasonable, especially considering that the bartender does not accept tips. A generously poured gin & tonic was $10. The appetizers were cheese, crackers, hummus, shrimp, and fruit.

The property itself is gorgeous. Everywhere you look there were beautiful installations and huge crystal minerals that were displayed on pedestals like fine art. Some were for sale and had pricetags attached. The rushing stream through the property past the spa is very restful and pretty. The landscaping couldn't be more beautiful.

I enjoyed going to the pilates Bosu class, circuit, abs/glutes and a water exercise class. I was especially impressed by Randy who did our circuit class. He also teaches TRX. What an inspirational person. He gave us all a pep-talk at the end of class that is still stuck in my head for motivation! These classes are all free. You just show up. Everyone who wanted to go was allowed into the classes, but they weren't overfilled. Plenty of room to move.

I noticed an art class in the outdoor courtyard that I would have liked to try. I don't know if there was a fee. Had I stayed another day I would have planned to do it.

On my birthday I took a private trail ride with a guide who was very sweet. Sorry I don't remember her name -- a young lady who is getting married in the fall. The cost was very reasonable -- 100 minutes for $115, and again, no tipping allowed. My horse, Crackers, was an old love. Very docile and easy to control. I hadn't ridden in about 30 years, so I was happy for the orientation. We walked through cacti, past a curious coyote, and through a herd of red cows. The other activity, of course, was a massage. We had $150 in credit each, so we used that credit toward massages. We both had a great experience with the perfect masseuse for each of our requirements. He likes gentle, I like deep tissue. The spa is beautifully appointed with separate mens and womens sections, each with whirlpool, sauna, steam room, private outdoor sunbathing area, and all the amenities and supplies you need. I liked the sunbathing area where suits are optional. A wonderful place to rest or maybe take a nap after a steam.

All of the service people on the property were so friendly and kind, especially the servers in the restaurant. They made you feel very special. For instance, my husband mentioned on our first meal on Friday evening that my birthday was on Sunday. Upon arrival for dinner on Sunday night the Hostess wished me a happy birthday, and they put a candle on the dessert that my husband and I shared. Very thoughtful.

Tip: Reserve for dinner EARLY. Seating is by reservation only, except at the Miraval Table, which is a community table. That could be fun, but we never tried it. If you wait until even 10:00 am you will find only seating at 5:00 (first seating) or 8:00. Last seating is 8:30. On the day of your arrival you might want to call in your reservation. No reservations for lunch or breakfast.

On the day of our departure we received our final bill and were shocked to see the tally. Be prepared. I knew that taxes and fees were extra, but I didn't expect them to be so high. It was $100 per person, per day. So for 3 nights we had a total bill of $600, plus bar tab, trail ride and some other extras. Even with the discounted rate from TravelZoo, we paid a total of $1800, or $600 per night. Why not be up-front about the actual cost instead of surprising you when you're leaving? It turned a pleasant glow sour. I talked to a woman that was waiting to board the plane whom I recognized from one of my classes. She said she had a similar reaction. So just be prepared for that final bill.

Room Tip: Request a standard room without handicapped access and a view.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Renery
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Hi there - Wow. Thank you for such a thoughtful and thorough review of your recent stay. I'm glad you and your husband had a great stay and I do hope to see you again at Miraval for a girls' getaway on your next visit! I'm glad you enjoyed your trail ride and had a wonderful birthday with us. It is never our intention to be deceitful with the resort fee and taxes. In all our communication, we do our best to make sure our guests are aware of these. We do hope to see you back at Miraval for a future visit!
Michael

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
NJ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

I was surprised with all the changes that have been implemented and as you may have seen, I had previously posted an awesome review of the property

As background, my wife and I just returned from our 6th trip to Miraval - usually joined by another couple. It is a beautiful property, set with the Catalina Mountains in the background serving outstanding food, world class spa services and an outstanding staff. The good news is that the basic elements have remained consistent.

The bad news is that there have been several changes implemented over the last 9 months that have significantly diminished the quality of the experience.

First relates to their approach to pricing. The biggest issue is that Miraval is an expensive property but historically had included almost all of the non-spa activities in your daily fee. The property now charges for many items that were previously included such as all the hikes, many of the lectures, most of the cooking classes and several other activities. Guests were really annoyed that they had come to a high end property and were nickel and dimed. For example, in prior years there used to be 4 to 5 complimentary 1 hour cooking demonstrations and now there is 1 a week and several other $150 cooking classes (which not surprisingly were lightly attended). The lectures in particular should not cost $75.
You see the pricing strategy rear its ugly head if you attempted to order a second entrée at dinner as they now charge you $20. For those who have been to Miraval, the food is outstanding but the portions are small and many healthy, active people who have completed 5 hours of exercise that day can down 2 of their entrees (particularly men). Many Miraval loyalists were upset with this change which is not disclosed anywhere until you attempt it. You can order two appetizers and desserts so personally this one didn't affect me. They used to have a number of complimentary food items at the pool and now they charge for everything but one item

The second big change relates to how they handle scheduling and the impact on the guest experience. Previously they had sign ups for most of the activities that day and you rarely got locked out of something. Now everything must be registered beforehand and while we were there in March, the morning Level A hike (the most popular resort activity) was full every single morning. While they added a later hike a few days, a number of guests were locked out. A high end spa/resort needs to adapt its schedule to accommodate their guests. Likewise, they have significantly reduced their free exercise class schedule during many segments and most of the popular classes like Cardio Drumming were crowded and had 18-20 attendees and the morning of spinning, the 10 bikes were all gone 20 minutes before class. Again, not the "mindful" experience Miraval is supposed to deliver. We don't mind the pre-sign up an can understand why it makes sense in managing the property. Harder to understand why all the free activities are jammed and plenty of room in the more expensive ones

The other scheduling item that has become a nuisance is dinner, which was pretty much a disaster the week we were there. Because they have gotten significantly busier and added rooms, they can no longer accommodate everyone for dinner between 6:15 and 7:45 - the time most people want to eat. People were very unhappy when told they had to eat at 5 or 8:30. They also do some stupid things like only having certain times available for the Miraval table. People were getting up at 6 in the morning to make their dinner reservation - not very spa like. They need to have enough kitchen capacity to serve everyone at their desired time - particularly given they are serving a limited menu

As it relates to the property, they clearly have been heavily promoting it including on RueLaLa, an Ellen Show giveaway and discounting for groups. They have a frequent guest program called Authentic Circles that gives 15% discounts on certain items - only to find out a girls weekend escape group got 25%

To sum it up, my comments are coming from the perspective of a couple who really love the Miraval experience. The spa therapists are second to none (try Naga with Peter or Melanie), the exercise leadership team is excellent and has been there for a number of years (Pam, Melissa and Randy), the rooms are beautiful and the setting is spectacular

The property is owned by Steve Case and its just bizarre to us the approach they have taken in a market where every comparable spa we know takes a largely all-inclusive approach. Hopefully enough feedback from guests will have them make some of the changes to return the Miraval experience to its prior level of excellence. If not, based on the comments from many guests - they will lose their loyal audience to other high end spas like Canyon Ranch

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
20 Thank beatroff
Hi there - First, thank you so much for your continued loyalty to Miraval over the years. I do understand that for guests like you and your wife who have seen the resort evolve, some of the changes might be difficult to understand. I want to take this opportunity to address your comments about the fee-based activities and removing the signup board for these activities. Guest feedback suggested strongly that the signup board was creating stress as they were trying to make sure they got to signup board in time to reserve a space for an activity. Additionally, we found that some guests were signing up for everything and then not showing up creating a situation where guests who wanted to participate were unable to participate in the program because of the “no shows.” With the new process, guests can reserve a space ahead of time during the pre-arrival planning process. Plus, these activities will now show up on your itinerary along with other spa services, private sessions, and workshops you have booked. This will help you manage your time at Miraval to get the most out of your stay. We do appreciate your feedback about the changes in the restaurant and will address them with the team. I hope to see you back at Miraval in the future.
Medford, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

I recently returned from a first-time stay at Miraval, where I met a friend for a girls' 4 night getaway. It was difficult to return to the real world! We had a standard room, which was quite nice, with extremely comfortable beds and luxurious pillow and sheets. The food was excellent and leans more towards healthy (but still delicious) choices. You can do as much or as little as you want at Miraval, with numerous choices for classes and activities. There are plenty of free ones but some do require a fee. We did the Equine Experience, where you complete a couple of tasks with the resort's horses as an exercise where you learn about yourself. Many of the activities are related to mindfulness and mind/body connections. If that's not your thing, then just enjoy the 3 pools, spa and other forms of relaxation. Dress is very casual, you can easily get away with just packing "activewear", as everyone wears yoga/track pants and tops and bathing suits most of the day. Most people dressed up a little more for dinner but we saw a few people come to dinner in their bathrobes (presumably they had spa treatments booked, but who knows, maybe they were just super relaxed!). The spa was fantastic; we had one treatment per day, including the Sonoran mud wrap, facials, hot stone massages and the Ultimate Ayurvedic treatments.
We noticed that almost every staff member was friendly, positive and seemed to truly enjoy their roles at Miraval. There is a no tipping policy that became very easy to get accustomed to, as well as a no cell phone policy (you are allowed to use one in your room or one designated outdoor courtyard). Guests have to sign an agreement when checking in to acknowledge the no cell phone policy and for me it was wonderful to experience the quiet, particularly around the pool areas.
A couple of minor quibbles that other reviewers have noted that I would agree with: the coffee/juice bar should stay open longer (until 3:00 at least); you do need to review your bill carefully, as we were also over-charged. We stayed in room 410, directly next to the room where they hold the drumming classes. VERY loud and a startling experience if you happen to be in your room in the late afternoon. We thought we were put there because we were 1st time guests but I just read a review that a frequent guest was also put in that room. It just shouldn't be allowed or they need to at least tell guests when they check in.
Overall, this was a wonderful experience and I would return again. It was so enjoyable to stay in a place that is geared towards adults where quiet and relaxation are the rules of the day. It wasn't inexpensive but considering that meals and many activities are included and the no tipping policy (which can add up, especially if you book spa treatments), I felt it was worth it.
A travel tip: non-stop flights into Tucson are limited from the East Coast but you can fly into Phoenix and take the Arizona City shuttle from the airport to the Ina Rd. exit for about $70 round trip. Arrange a complimentary hotel pickup from Ina Rd. with Miraval when you book your stay.

Room Tip: If you book a standard room, ask to stay away from rooms 410 or 412 unless you love the sound of dru...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank skoulo
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Hi there - Wow! Thank you for writing such a thorough review of your stay. It sounds like you and your girlfriends were able to experience a wide variety of the activities and spa treatments that we offer. I'm glad to here you enjoyed the no cell phone and no tipping policy and were able to unplug and relax during your stay. Thank you for your feedback about your guestroom location - we will discuss how to reduce any noise in the future. We hope to see you and your friends back on a return visit soon!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

Overall, it was a real pleasure to be at Miraval. The setting is gorgeous, the food is excellent, the staff is friendly and accommodating, the spa is wonderful, the activities/classes are varied. I gave it an excellent rating because it is such a wonderful place to be. I have some small complaints that keep it from being perfect, but I wanted my rating to reflect that I really loved being there.
Some of the smaller gripes were as follows:
I shared a Miraval suite with a friend and would have preferred double sinks in the bathroom. I had to ask for an iron/board. No coffee maker in room. No real room service. As others have mentioned, having to make a dinner reservation at breakfast is annoying especially when it really doesn't matter when you show up, you will be seated. It doesn't make sense to close the smoothie/coffee bar from 2 to 4 when a drink might be nice. That's the extent of my gripes.

Far longer is the list of things I liked. It was my second visit and I like it so much that I plan to return again. Between my friend and me, we tried I Chi Flow, a loving kindness meditation, cardio drumming, dance fusion, the equine experience, water move it and water conditioning, 3 different wonderful massages, a facial, painted with Mike Elsass and went to a lecture with Andrew Wolf. We relaxed, swam, ate well and enjoyed the beautiful Santa Catalina mountains. I enjoyed chatting with other guests. The weather was perfect. There was good wine. Altogether, a wonderful 5 days....Miraval is a happy place!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank scatsm
Hi there - Thank you so much for writing about your recent stay! We appreciate your feedback about the dinner reservations and smoothie bar. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and experienced such a breadth of activities and services. I'm glad to hear that your stay was wonderful and we hope to see you back again soon!
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

I spent 3 days at Miraval after a particularly difficult breakup and it was just what I needed. 3 days, however, wasn't nearly long enough. After discussing it with friends, I'd recommend a minimum of 4 nights. It takes about a day to get oriented and there were so many things to do, I nearly stressed myself out trying to plan a packed schedule.

I traveled solo and found the other guests, many of whom were in couples and larger groups, completely welcoming. I didn't feel awkward at all, particularly at meal time when they made an effort to group "solos" together.

I loved the food, spa services, challenges, and spiritual sessions. And my room was a peaceful sanctuary!

Major gripe:
I have to agree with other reviewers who have warned about reviewing your bill upon checkout. Miraval overcharged me, and then proceeded to argue with me about the charge nearly ruining the positive experience and glow I'd worked so hard to achieve. It left a really bad taste in my mouth.

I'm considering returning in May 2014, but with the recent reviews about nickel-and-diming, overcharging, and the poor new management, I may try elsewhere.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a mountain view.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank travelbee28
Hi there - Thank you so much for your kind words. I'm glad that Miraval was a sanctuary for you when you needed it most and that you enjoyed the food, spa services, activities and your room. I do apologize if there was any misunderstanding about your bill upon checkout - it is always our intention for our guests leave Miraval with only fond memories and more tools to create a life in balance. We do sincerely hope you'll visit Miraval again in the future!
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

I went to this spa with girlfriends thinking this would be a mani pedi spa treatment escapade but when you further investigate and after staying - this is a place for your mind to rejuvenate as well as body and soul! I learned more about myself and other fascinating things in 72 hours than I could have possibly expected plus ate like a queen and stayed in lovely accommodations. Spa treatments were A+, the food was A and the circuses A++. Funny enough when I arrived I saw a lot of brown dried desert terrain. At the end of the journey I saw a medley of colorful earth tones that energized my world. This is not a Canyon Ranch type lounging calorie counting spa- this is a getaway with adventures that are both mindful and healthy. LOVE this place and will go back next year!

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Jennifer M
Hi Jennifer - Thank you so much for writing. I'm thrilled to hear that your first stay at Miraval was such a memorable and rejuvenating experience for you. We pride ourselves on creating a vibrant environment that allows for self-reflection and fun. I look forward to welcoming you back to Miraval again soon!
United States - East Coast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

Miraval is the place to go when you need a break from the world. I will be back many times. Everything is so perfect that you don't have to think about anything except when your next spa service is. The property is beautiful but the staff is what makes this place what it is.

Room Tip: Catalina rooms are the nicest. Definitely worth the difference in price.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank circledarling
Hi There - Thank you so much for your review. I am glad to hear that Miraval was a calming escape for you. It's true what you say that our staff and specialists are what makes Miraval so special. I am so proud to lead our amazing team. We look forward to seeing you again on a future visit to Miraval.