“Amazing!”

Ranked #7 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
drgoldin90
“Amazing!”
Reviewed 25 April 2014

The women in my family are on a yearly quest to try all the quality wellness spas around the country and this year we selected Miraval. We were blown away by the lovely grounds, the yummy food, the terrific lectures and the exercise classes. The photos on the website do not do the facility justice. The emphasis on mindfulness is so powerful it is almost like it is oozing out of the ground and calmness is everywhere. All of us were motivated to try new things and we were delighted with the zip line experience, the aerial yoga, floating meditation and the cardio drumming just to name a few. We also tried several different spa treatments and were especially pleased with the avayanga massages. My only minor criticism relates to the transportation. There is a complimentary shuttle to and from the airport but the last one of the day departs at 2:00 PM. As we had to spend the night at an airport hotel to get flights back to the east coast we would have preferred the ability to leave later without incurring the expense of a car service.

Room Tip: If you want to be close to the spa and the food request a room in the 100 series buildings. The roo...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Hi there - Wow. Thank you for writing about your recent stay! I'm glad to hear that you reveled in the mindfulness philosophy that permeates everything we do. It sounds like you were able to try many of our newest experiences like floating meditation and aerial yoga - I'm glad you enjoyed them. We hope to see you back at Miraval soon!
Michael

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

This was out second visit to Mireval. An amazing experience for our health, fitness, and couple binding. You truly get away from it all!! The beds are the softest fluffier things ever. Rooms are comfy. The grounds are impeccable and infused with tranquility. The spa services - everything we tried and I think we tried it all, fabulous.

The sessions with Coach Lee were mind opening, full if soul searching, and very beneficial to our marriage.

The food is carried, colorful, super healthy and very delicious.

My only request is for more couple oriented talks. The fitness classes from hikes to yoga to boot camp have always been challenging ( my husband and I are avid athletic conditioning goers and we workout at intense levels). We were not disappointed by the variety and the level of fitness in the classes . There is something for every level.

If course you can just sit by the pool in your robe and relax between your spa treatments. No need to kill yourself with workouts if you don't want to.

Another bonus- you walk around in workout clothes for the entire time. No jewlery or make up needed.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi Ana - Thank you for your kind words! I'm so pleased to hear that you and your husband had a wonderful stay with us! I'm glad that you were able to reconnect and find some of the activities and wellness lectures applicable to strengthening your marriage. We look forward to welcoming you back to Miraval again soon!
New York
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Mirival is a phenomenal wellness facility. This is an ideal place to come to get grounding, perspective and rest. The programming of the resort is TOP notch! Food quality and presentation is AMAZING. Service aims to please and generally is very consistent. The staff are genuine and truly want to make sure you have a great experience. The only negative I noticed is that there seemed to be a lack of empowerment within the staff. There seemed to always be a need to "check with a supervisor"- at this caliber of hotel, empower your staff, they are great! I also found it difficult to find the supervisors when needed...
The Spa facilities were superb and the quality of massages was some of the best I have ever experienced. I will definitely be returning.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
nyc
Reviewed 23 April 2014

My college buddy and I go to a spa every spring. This was our first time at Miraval. The location is lovely. It is a good haul from the airport. Our flight arrived a good hour before others, so we had to wait to be shuttled to the property. The room was lovely. The pools were delightful. No one was ever in the lap pool, which was great fro me. The classes were fine, nothing out of the ordinary. This place really emphasizes the mind/body experience. Other spas have more classes on the hour, this has athletic classes as well as many lectures. There is something for everyone. I did not partake in the "risky" stuff, like jumping off high poles. The hikes were nice. The tennis teacher is excellent, but tennis here is clearly an afterthought. I didn't bring my racket and the rackets they had were disgusting, almost unusable. The balls were flat. I told the gm (or an assistant gm) at the beginning of my visit. I said he could go down the street to the Sports Authority and at least regrip the rackets and get new balls....this did not occur. I think for a 5 star resort, which costss top dollar, this is a big red mark.

the food was great, although, no one explained to us the menu until the last night in terms of what we could order, but we were never hungry!

while the spa itself is lovely, the treatments are nothing to write home about. in fact, they were often misrepresented in the brochure. I pointed this out to the manager on duty. she said the person giving the treatments did it wrong. I said I asked him and he said in his many years at the spa, he had never done what was listed in the book for this specific treatment.

the person I went with tried to sign up for horseback riding month before we went and never got in. she was quite disappointed. They never reached out to her when people cancelled.

There is an upcharge for almost everything....they give you a resort credit. My understanding from people who have been going for years is that this is a new policy. I think that some of the lectures should be free, although I get that if they didn't charge, maybe people wouldn't show.

Lastly...YOU MUST GET A NAGA massage. It really isn't a massage, it is more Thai body work. Either person is excellent.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank acetravel
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Hi there - Thank you for writing about your recent stay. I'm glad you enjoyed the food during your stay and found the NAGA Thai treatment so therapeutic. Thank you for the feedback about the tennis equipment and waiting list management. I will follow up with the team on both accounts. We hope to see you back at Miraval on a future visit.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Just returned from Miraval. It is a gorgeous spot about 45 minutes from the Tucson airport. I had pre-signed up for many activities. The variety is endless. Some are better than others. Try Chi Gong (Chinese version of Tai Chi) with Melissa. She is a bundle of energy! She also helped me develop some water exercises for my aching bones. Hugs to her! Glen gave me my first golf lesson ever and he was wonderful. Even sent me a follow-up e-mail with instructions so I can feel good about going again. The food was wonderful - I was never hungry. Kudos to the chef and wonderful wait staff. Outside patio eating is the way to go. My gorgeous room was in the 600 series - the farthest away from everything. Quite a hike in the 90 degree heat. Next time I'll book a closer room.

Room Tip: 600 series are the most gorgeous, but are farthest away from all the spa, restaurant and activities.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Hi there - Thank you so much for writing about your recent stay with us. I'm glad that you enjoyed Chi Gong and learned from Glen on the golf course. We look forward to having you back to Miraval on a future visit.
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Miraval is in a great desert location that includes an awesome assortment of cacti. We are here in April and many cacti are in bloom. This and the desert environment is very special. Since this is a spa, my wife and I have had two terrific massages, a lovely hike through the desert (the only detraction is that it was with 59 other people) and a couple of other excellent exercise and mindfulness classes.
The problem starts with the kitchen. The breakfast and lunch is a buffet, which seems to work well. The dinner is sit down, by reservations, which must be made on that day. They encourage reservations be made that morning at breakfast. This morning, we had to wait 15 minutes to make the reservation. That was annoying, but tonight we arrived and were seated at 7:58. It is amazing that our appetizers didn't arrive until 8:58. That's right. ONE HOUR! The problem wasn't with the wait staff. They were as frustrated as we were. This is a serious management problem. This resort simply can't handle the 225+ capacity crowd that it has. Not enough folks in the kitchen, not enough tables... I can't believe that they are trying to create stress so that we'd buy another massage, but this experience was happening all around us. It became a conversation amongst guests in the restaurant. Seriously, when you are spending $1200+ per day, you shouldn't be waiting an hour for dinner after you have been seated.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
12 Thank Coastman3
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 16 April 2014

My sisters and I went to Miraval for our mom's 70th birthday. We spent a 4 day weekend and 2 months later are still glowing from the experience. We all have different interests and could choose activities to our liking (from yoga, tennis, swimming and horseback riding to photography, hiking, meditation, pottery and cardio drumming and zip-lining!). We loved the atmosphere, the knowledgeable instructors, the healthy food (with a range of choices), and the positively happy and healthy environment there. Our challenge now will to figure out how to take what we learned and create more mindful, balanced everyday lives. And of course we all look forward to making this a regular annual retreat. It was not only relaxing but truly inspiring.

Room Tip: The Miraval experience is less about the rooms and more about getting out and doing the activities...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Hi there - Thank you for sharing such kind words! I speak for everyone here when I say I'm thrilled to hear that your mom's 70th birthday trip was such a wonderful retreat for all of you. We look forward to welcoming you back on a future visit to Miraval.