“Outstanding!”

Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed at Miraval at the end of April as part of a training program. We spent 5 days there and it was magical from start to finish. Our room was enormous and the beds were amazing - I felt like I slept on a cloud all week. No ask of the staff was too big or too small. In particular, our group participated in one of the high ropes activities and the facilitator - Josh - was exceptional. I've worked with many facilitators over the years and I have to say, he is up there with the best of the best. The level of care expressed by all the Miraval staff was exceptional. We really didn't want to leave at the end of the week and we'll be back again soon! Quite simply one of the best places I have ever stayed anywhere in the world.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank MirandaAsh
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Hi Miranda - Thank you so much for writing such kind words! I'm glad to hear that your experience at Miraval was top notch. Our staff really is amazing and I'm glad to hear that you felt taken care of from the moment you arrived until the moment you departed. We hope to see you back at Miraval again soon!

Reviewed 26 May 2014

I was a loyal Miraval customer for years. However the changes made over the past years resulted in my decision to "break up" with Miraval and go to Canyon Ranch.
Miraval has lost its focus on service and value. Charging for morning hikes? Charging for extra food? I remember when there used to be a refrigerator next to the pool (under the spa) which always had fresh fruit and small wraps and sunchips.
I miss the people at Miraval (Mona and Mary-Grace) however MIraval is not an all-inclusive resort and it is not what it used to be.
I wrote a review prior that I still stand by - Miraval changed my life - however that MIraval just does not seem to exist anymore.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
16  Thank Valerie-tf

Hi Valerie - I'm so sorry to hear that your recent experience at Miraval was less than exceptional. You are right to say that we have made some changes over the years in terms of our resort processes however through all the years since we opened our doors in 1995, we have maintained the mindfulness philosophy in everything we do. I can say without question that I believe our spa therapists and wellness specialists are truly the best in the world and that we continue to change the lives our guests in a positive manner by promoting life in balance. I do hope someday you'll choose to visit Miraval again but if not, I'm glad to know that Miraval changed your life for the better.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Having visited Miraval several times, we have noticed that is becoming more corporate and less concerned about the individual experience of people. Although the employees do a wonderful job with what they are given from the management, I noticed that the management asks for reviews, but does not respond to negative reviews. They are now charging $15 per hike, which is free at every other resort of this caliber. In addition, they do not offer various hikes at the resort. Frequent guests must suffer through the numerous talks about the environment, when they may be more in the mood for a vigorous hike through the property. The resort also used to give a lunch to departing guests in order for them to continue their healthy eating when they leave the resort environment. This has been discontinued, I assume, as a cost-saving measure. In addition, for a health-oriented resort, they certainly advertise and push the cocktails and $20 glasses of wine. Sadly, this resort is not what it used to be. For dinner, many people must call at 6 a.m. in the morning to reserve a dinner spot, or they are told that the time is taken. There is nowhere else to eat in the area. They also did away with a beautiful entrance room on the property, just off the check-in area, in order to turn it into a corporate meeting room. I don't like what I see regarding the current management of this property.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
16  Thank LJLisa

Hi Lisa - Thank you for writing about your stay. I do appreciate all of your feedback and I assure you that we do respond to negative reviews - oftentimes privately so we can glean more information from the guest and understand the extent of the issues or complaints. It is our goal for each and every guest to have the individual attention and mindful guest service that has made Miraval so special over the years. Thank you again for your feedback - we continue to make changes to enhance the guest experience and I hope that on your next visit to Miraval, we will delight and amaze you.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

I have been to Miraval six times over the past three years and every time I go back I fall in love with it all over again. This is the most tranquil place you will find on earth. It is beautiful everywhere you look. The spa is incredible, the food is exceptional, and the specialists that they have to work with you are amazing and offer a large variety of help. This is my favorite place to go. It is a must.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jen C
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Hi Jen- First of all, thank you for your continued loyalty to Miraval! I'm inspired everyday by the life changing moments that our specialists help to create with each Miraval guest. I know I speak for everyone when I say we all look forward to your 7th visit!

Reviewed 13 May 2014

I stayed at Miraval for 4 days in early May. I had never experienced a true spa resort before and wasn't sure quite what to expect. My first thought was that I should pack some peanut butter because I thought I would starve but the food was off the charts amazing. Portions were smaller but you can order multiple appetizers/salads at dinner and there is a buffet in addition to menu at breakfast and lunch. Everything was so tasty!
I was in a Catalina room which was very large and very comforatable. I had an outdoor shower which was amazing and a very large tub too.
The beds are BY FAR the most comfortable I have experienced and I travel ALOT! The linens are so soft and the comforter is a just one gigantic marshmallow.
Plan your activities - and be sure to schedule some down time. I did the floating meditation class on arrival and that was a great way to get into the Miraval mode. ANother highlight for me was the Himalayan Sound Bath (incredibly relaxing). I also had the Spirit Essence ceremony which was very cool and created a spray from my handpicked floral scents.
You can do group hikes, biking, yoga, hundreds of spa treatements that are unique and unusual, teambuilding, zip lining, tennis, photography, and of course experience the classes that create your mindfulness of your life. Basically the goal is to teach you to live in the moment!
I love the no cell phone policy (cannot talk on your phone except a few designated areas - but you can peak at your messages).
Everyone is super casual and you can even dine in your workout clothes, bath robe for all meals although most people put on something very casual for dinner.
Take advantage of the smoothie bar/coffee/snacks until 2pm and the appetizers in the bar at 5pm
(Yep you can have cocktails at Miraval)
You would be comfortable traveling here alone as everyone is friendly and talks to each other. Great for groups that want a totally unique experience to bond, think creatively and create memories.
Sit out in the Kiva pit at night.......it is like being in a planetarium the stars look so close!
Cannot say enough great things about the staff. They are there for you every step of the way to make sure you have what you need, getting where you need to go, or just letting you stop and savor your moments. Cannot wait to go back!

Room Tip: all rooms have the comfy beds, some have private outdoor showers, some villas have pools and Jacuzzi...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank KathiKSL

Hi Kathi- Thank you for writing such a thorough review of your stay. It sounds like you had a great Miraval experience! I can hear your enthusiasm through your words. I am glad to hear you were able to do the Himalayan Sound Bath during your stay - that's one of our newest offerings! Also glad to hear how much you enjoyed your accommodations and the food. Thank you again for sharing about your visit with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to Miraval again soon. Regards,

Reviewed 7 May 2014

I have been a long time guest of Miraval and I have visited Miraval at least 12 times. However, I have watched Miraval deteriorate. This will be my last year as a Miraval guest. Other reviewers have described the "nickel and diming" of Miraval. Sadly, that is true. The "all-inclusive rate" does not include some of the fundamental Miraval activities which were included last year: basic hiking activities, challenge activites, Equine Experience, yoga activies, photography class, etc. These are all classic Miraval activies which are no longer included in the rate. Want to try a cooking class? That will cost you extra. Would you like an extra entree at dinner? That will cost you $20. Want a snack at the pool? That will cost you. Miraval is all about choices. You can still have those choices, it will just cost you extra. The most unfortunate thing is the discontent of the staff. They are also not happy with these changes and will say so. Staff is leaving. Service is still good, it is just not at the level of what it used to be. Be sure to check your bill carefully, as all these extra charges resulted in errors. R.I.P. Miraval. It's time to go somewhere else.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
19  Thank Arnito R

Hi there - I'm deeply saddened to hear that you will not be returning to Miraval after being such a long-time guest of ours. In order to continue to offer the life-changing experiences that we offer each day, we have made changes over the years such as charging fees for particular activities. With that said, we are always open to guest feedback (especially a long-time guest such as yourself) and continually strive to create the most meaningful experience for our guests. We wish you all the best in your future travels but please know you always have a home away from home at Miraval should you choose to return in the future.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

Just back from 5 nights at Miraval—a wonderful, dreamy first-time stay with my husband. The property, the scenery, and the food can’t be beat. As far as services and activities go, here’s a review from a complete Northwest yoga-snob/massage junkie. We enjoyed the yoga classes. The “Agave Center” is a lovely studio and the yoga instructors taught solid basic yoga and meditation. Classes taught in the “BMC” center were not a good fit for us—If you liked Jazzercise back in the day, you might like these classes. But they felt a bit gimmicky (Yogilates) and often seemed like a great way to potentially get injured. (That said, I am fairly certain the women on my Miraval shuttle would have a very different point of view.)

As far as massage goes, the very best massage therapists are Ella and Noella. Hands down. :) We saw five different practitioners who came highly recommended by Miraval. They were all kind and likable people, but coming from a metropolis saturated with world-class massage therapists we are very spoiled in this way. Ella and Noella have strong intuitive hands and they understand the fine art of peeling away the onion, one layer at a time.

We dined inside and out, in a beautiful setting. There was always more than enough to eat--even for my husband who has a huge appetite. Sam, the Restaurant Manager was very sweet and helpful, as was Cinnie in Guest Services. Our favorite activity (besides gorging on the most amazing fresh and healthy meals) was hiking the gorgeous desert in the early morning. Be sure to book most, if not all of your activities before arrival. It is disappointing to go all that way and spend all that money and not able to do the things you might envision doing. Also, don’t get too overwhelmed by the choices for spa services. It’s the general type of service and time-slot you need to book. Don’t get caught up deliberating whether to have the “Prickly Pear Scrub” or the “Desert Rain Scrub”. You can change your mind once you’re there. Also, be sure to review your bill. Other reviewers have said this and our bill had several errors that needed to be corrected.

Overall a very very positive experience. I would definitely come back again and stay a minimum of 3 nights and maximum of 5.

Room Tip: We liked being far away from the center of Miraval. It's a hike to and from restaurant, but we l...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank opalsunshine
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Hi there - I am happy to hear how much you enjoyed your first stay at Miraval! We look forward to having you and your husband back again. I'm sorry that the fitness classes you experienced didn't meet your expectations. On your next visit, I would recommend trying some of our more innovative fitness classes like TRX Endurance Circuit and Core Glide Extreme. These classes really focus on core fitness and building lean muscle. Thank you again for visiting us and we hope to see you and your husband again soon!