“Heaven in Arizona minus a few flaws.”

Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

This was my fourth trip to Miraval in the last 7 years. It is truly a wonderful, beautiful and special place. The spa treatments are incredible and the spa atmosphere is our bliss. There are many great exercise classes and terrific instructors. But compared to years past, the service is not as it used to be and there are many hidden charges for things that did not exist before. The good value comes from special theme priced visits. If you can get one if those then go by all means. But it is hard to justify the "rack" rate, which can be $1000 a day, when the service is not what it used to be.

• Stayed: April 2014
13  Thank Denise R
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Hi Denise! If this past visit was your 4th visit to Miraval then I can officially welcome you into our Authentic Circle loyalty program! Thank you for being such a loyal guest. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the spa and fitness classes during your recent stay. I appreciate your feedback about the pricing model and want to reassure you that we continue to make changes because we want to insure we can continue to offer the wide variety of life-changing activities to our guests. Your feedback is a very important part of this process so again, thank you for sharing with us. Looking forward to seeing you on a future visit!
Michael

Write a ReviewReviews (1,227)

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I had an amazing weekend trip with two of my girlfriends at Miraval. We loved eating dinner in our spa robes! The Equine experience (I lifted the hoof!), Floating Meditation and Thai massage are not to be missed. Also just take a moment and look at the mountains and breathe. There is a specialness to the place itself that vibrates through your body. The beds were heavenly - made up with fluffy feather bed and comforters and plush pillows it was so relaxing to sink into a cloud at the end of the day. I truly think if I spent a week at Miraval I could solve all my life's problems. We will be back!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank shefindsim

Hi there - Thank you so much for writing about your experience at Miraval! It sounds like you were able to try a variety of activities and services from Equine Experience which has been a signature Miraval experience since 1996 to Floating Meditation which is one of our newest and most popular activities. I'm glad to hear you loved the beds and felt comfortable enough here to have dinner in your spa robe! We look forward to welcoming you and your friends back to Miraval soon.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed at Miraval at the end of April as part of a training program. We spent 5 days there and it was magical from start to finish. Our room was enormous and the beds were amazing - I felt like I slept on a cloud all week. No ask of the staff was too big or too small. In particular, our group participated in one of the high ropes activities and the facilitator - Josh - was exceptional. I've worked with many facilitators over the years and I have to say, he is up there with the best of the best. The level of care expressed by all the Miraval staff was exceptional. We really didn't want to leave at the end of the week and we'll be back again soon! Quite simply one of the best places I have ever stayed anywhere in the world.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank MirandaAsh

Hi Miranda - Thank you so much for writing such kind words! I'm glad to hear that your experience at Miraval was top notch. Our staff really is amazing and I'm glad to hear that you felt taken care of from the moment you arrived until the moment you departed. We hope to see you back at Miraval again soon!

Reviewed 26 May 2014

I was a loyal Miraval customer for years. However the changes made over the past years resulted in my decision to "break up" with Miraval and go to Canyon Ranch.
Miraval has lost its focus on service and value. Charging for morning hikes? Charging for extra food? I remember when there used to be a refrigerator next to the pool (under the spa) which always had fresh fruit and small wraps and sunchips.
I miss the people at Miraval (Mona and Mary-Grace) however MIraval is not an all-inclusive resort and it is not what it used to be.
I wrote a review prior that I still stand by - Miraval changed my life - however that MIraval just does not seem to exist anymore.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
16  Thank Valerie-tf

Hi Valerie - I'm so sorry to hear that your recent experience at Miraval was less than exceptional. You are right to say that we have made some changes over the years in terms of our resort processes however through all the years since we opened our doors in 1995, we have maintained the mindfulness philosophy in everything we do. I can say without question that I believe our spa therapists and wellness specialists are truly the best in the world and that we continue to change the lives our guests in a positive manner by promoting life in balance. I do hope someday you'll choose to visit Miraval again but if not, I'm glad to know that Miraval changed your life for the better.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Having visited Miraval several times, we have noticed that is becoming more corporate and less concerned about the individual experience of people. Although the employees do a wonderful job with what they are given from the management, I noticed that the management asks for reviews, but does not respond to negative reviews. They are now charging $15 per hike, which is free at every other resort of this caliber. In addition, they do not offer various hikes at the resort. Frequent guests must suffer through the numerous talks about the environment, when they may be more in the mood for a vigorous hike through the property. The resort also used to give a lunch to departing guests in order for them to continue their healthy eating when they leave the resort environment. This has been discontinued, I assume, as a cost-saving measure. In addition, for a health-oriented resort, they certainly advertise and push the cocktails and $20 glasses of wine. Sadly, this resort is not what it used to be. For dinner, many people must call at 6 a.m. in the morning to reserve a dinner spot, or they are told that the time is taken. There is nowhere else to eat in the area. They also did away with a beautiful entrance room on the property, just off the check-in area, in order to turn it into a corporate meeting room. I don't like what I see regarding the current management of this property.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
16  Thank LJLisa

Hi Lisa - Thank you for writing about your stay. I do appreciate all of your feedback and I assure you that we do respond to negative reviews - oftentimes privately so we can glean more information from the guest and understand the extent of the issues or complaints. It is our goal for each and every guest to have the individual attention and mindful guest service that has made Miraval so special over the years. Thank you again for your feedback - we continue to make changes to enhance the guest experience and I hope that on your next visit to Miraval, we will delight and amaze you.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

I have been to Miraval six times over the past three years and every time I go back I fall in love with it all over again. This is the most tranquil place you will find on earth. It is beautiful everywhere you look. The spa is incredible, the food is exceptional, and the specialists that they have to work with you are amazing and offer a large variety of help. This is my favorite place to go. It is a must.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jen C
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Hi Jen- First of all, thank you for your continued loyalty to Miraval! I'm inspired everyday by the life changing moments that our specialists help to create with each Miraval guest. I know I speak for everyone when I say we all look forward to your 7th visit!

Reviewed 13 May 2014

I stayed at Miraval for 4 days in early May. I had never experienced a true spa resort before and wasn't sure quite what to expect. My first thought was that I should pack some peanut butter because I thought I would starve but the food was off the charts amazing. Portions were smaller but you can order multiple appetizers/salads at dinner and there is a buffet in addition to menu at breakfast and lunch. Everything was so tasty!
I was in a Catalina room which was very large and very comforatable. I had an outdoor shower which was amazing and a very large tub too.
The beds are BY FAR the most comfortable I have experienced and I travel ALOT! The linens are so soft and the comforter is a just one gigantic marshmallow.
Plan your activities - and be sure to schedule some down time. I did the floating meditation class on arrival and that was a great way to get into the Miraval mode. ANother highlight for me was the Himalayan Sound Bath (incredibly relaxing). I also had the Spirit Essence ceremony which was very cool and created a spray from my handpicked floral scents.
You can do group hikes, biking, yoga, hundreds of spa treatements that are unique and unusual, teambuilding, zip lining, tennis, photography, and of course experience the classes that create your mindfulness of your life. Basically the goal is to teach you to live in the moment!
I love the no cell phone policy (cannot talk on your phone except a few designated areas - but you can peak at your messages).
Everyone is super casual and you can even dine in your workout clothes, bath robe for all meals although most people put on something very casual for dinner.
Take advantage of the smoothie bar/coffee/snacks until 2pm and the appetizers in the bar at 5pm
(Yep you can have cocktails at Miraval)
You would be comfortable traveling here alone as everyone is friendly and talks to each other. Great for groups that want a totally unique experience to bond, think creatively and create memories.
Sit out in the Kiva pit at night.......it is like being in a planetarium the stars look so close!
Cannot say enough great things about the staff. They are there for you every step of the way to make sure you have what you need, getting where you need to go, or just letting you stop and savor your moments. Cannot wait to go back!

Room Tip: all rooms have the comfy beds, some have private outdoor showers, some villas have pools and Jacuzzi...