“Outstanding!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
California
“Outstanding!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

We came here to celebrate my wife's 40th birthday. She love's yoga, massages, and fitness classes. I came along not knowing what to expect and thinking I would probably just sit by the pool all week, maybe even get a little bored. Man, was I wrong. Even though I did end up sitting by the pool a bit, I also took yoga classes, took a couples thai massage class, had my first facial, had a few pedicures, got a ton of massages, did a cardio drumming class, and went on morning desert hikes every other day. Miraval is paradise! I definitely enjoyed our stay here as much as my wife did. The staff is super friendly, attentive, and accommodating. The grounds are lush and very well maintained. The rooms are very comfortable and clean. The views of the Santa Catalina mountains are gorgeous (especially at sunrise and sunset). The food was delicious, fresh, and healthy (impressive breakfast and lunch buffet, and a great dinner menu). The Sommelier was very knowledgable and gave us great recommendations for wine pairing at dinner. We can't wait to come back here again!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MiravalManager, Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Hello!
We love receiving reviews just like yours -- from the unsuspecting husbands who wind up being delighted by the assortment of "guy" things to do at Miraval -- your words sum it up perfectly! We believe our property is a perfect couples' retreat that lends itself to a natural relationship re-connection and rejuvenation. So glad you enjoyed Elizabeth's sommelier knowledge as this is a lovely way to relax and enjoy your evening meals. Aren't you glad you agreed to come along?
Please come and see us again soon.
Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
Princeton, NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

This was my first trip to Miraval which I can't help but compare to Canyon Ranch. Miraval is significantly less expensive, the rooms are nicer, and the food is better. The spa services and morning hikes were excellent. I felt the staff at Miraval was not very friendly, or informed. The check-in staff did not have answers to some very elementary questions and was not very welcoming. If you're going to relax, have a fun weekend with your girlfriends, get some exercise, and take some classes - Miraval is a good option. If you want more medical/athletic help (weight loss, grief counseling, physical/nutrition counseling), Canyon Ranch is a much better option.

Room Tip: The 100's are closest to everything and yet still quiet. Ask for a room facing the mountains...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank susannTheGo
MiravalManager, Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Susan,

Thank you for staying with us. We appreciate all of your kind compliments and have noted your comment that some of our staff were distracted or not on point when speaking with you.

It is often the kudos OF the warm, friendly and welcoming staff at Miraval of which we are most proud; I'm sorry we fell down in your eyes in this area. Please accept this sincere apology.

We know you have many options to select from when choosing a weekend retreat; it is our hope that you will remember Miraval when making your get-away plans again. Come and see us again soon.

Tucson, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Lucky Lucky me... I got to travel to Miraval again with my sister. Its an amazing place to go and relax, share experiences and visit with each other. We had a wonderful room with a great view of the mountains, and each evening we enjoyed sitting on our patio together watching the mountains turn pink as the sun set. (and Oh, those fabulous beds) We shared some classes (Yoga and Meditation) and we each had individual experiences so when we got together again we had stories to tell. I enjoyed my Pilates For Equestrians ... Pam, who is a favorite, was able to explain some new techniques, which I put to immediate use on my next ride. Another favorite is Ella who does one of the best massages I've ever had. We both enjoyed Lunch With Andrew, the exercise physiologist, who is both totally entertaining and extremely knowledgeable. The last day I had a wonderful facial with Victoria and left Miraval totally relaxed. It was so much fun sharing our experiences over our meals... and such great meals they are... I have been to Miraval before, and the healthy eating that I do there is another thing that I take home, to incorporate into my life. We took advantage of the quiet beauty to walk, talk, just be together and make more memories
The other class I especially enjoyed was a new one by Pam Lancaster Ceremonies for the Soul. She showed new ways to make that deeper connection with the soul. I always leave Miraval deeply satisfied.

Room Tip: I love the patios.... Arizona is such an outdoor place
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MiravalManager, Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Robin,
When the sister connection is emotionally deep, it's nice to know there is a place where you can both be safe on a physical, emotional, and spiritual level. Sharing a new story/experience with the other is certainly one of the most memorable parts of any sisters' vacation. We are delighted you find such deep satisfaction here and that we could be a part of a lovely memory that will make you both smile deeply whenever you think of Miraval.
West Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

I just got back from a 4 day stay at Miraval with 8 girlfriends. This was the most fantastic girls getaway I have experienced! Incredible from beginning to end. I will try to do it justice with this review.
First, if coming from a different time zone, I would recommend flying in the night before and staying at a hotel near the airport (not the Fairfield Inn...It was terrible). The Miraval van picked us up at 9:00 AM Sunday morning and we were at the resort by 10:00 so that we could enjoy a full day.
We were handed fresh fruit smoothies when we arrived and were checked in. We took the tour of the property (I highly recommend this as the property is large with lots of amenities) including the tour of the spa.
There is so much too do that it is tempting to go all day but I recommend planning in some down time. Good places to relax are the reflexology pool which is shaded all day and has these rocks that you can walk on to massage your feet. Another great location for some down time is the relaxation room at the spa. It is a quiet zone so no talking, music, distractions.
Every activity I participated in was first class. The first day I lazed around and had a 50 minute relaxation massage with Chrystal. She was wonderful. She customized my massage based on what I told her I liked. We made a 7:00 PM reservation for dinner each night and ate outside 3 of 4 nights and it was cool enough even in August. The last night we all came in our robes and ate inside. The food was soooo good! We started each night with a few flat breads to share and then had an appetizer and main course. The filet was perfect, the quail I would pass on.
The second day, I had a private "Optimal Fitness Diagnostic" session with Andrew Wolf. He ran some tests and then build a 12 week heart rate work out for me based on my heart rates and body fat. It was well worth the fee.
Cardio Drumming was an absolute blast! I did it twice and it was a great workout and loads of fun!
I attended the cooking demonstration at lunch. Get there early if you want a seat. It was wonderful!
On Tues and Wed I did the 6:00 AM Outback Hike. It was a very good 2 hour workout and the sights were breathtaking. The guides pointed out wildlife (we saw a jackrabbit, snakes and heard coyotes) and explained the plants and plains.
The floating Meditation was peaceful and lovely. We were instructed how to climb into silk type hammocks hanging from the ceiling. We were only about 3 feet from the floor. Once in our silk sheets, the instructor gently swung us and then hit different hollow bowls that vibrated and soothed us while we meditated.
I had a neck, shoulder and foot massage with Rick who was also a wonderful therapist, able to go quite deep if you want.
I attended a balance workshop and found out I have no balance! I will now introduce balance exercises into my daily routine.
The menopause workshop I attended with on RN who specialized in menopause. Only 2 of us attended so it was a private session. She answered all of my questions and provided some very good recommendations.
One of my friends did "Swing and a Prayer" and really got a lot out of it. Another friend did the Equine Experience and was very moved by it.
My last massage was with Tama. She was the only therapist that I did not enjoy. She just could not go deep enough. I asked 3 times and finally just counted down the minutes until it was over.
Don't use her!
On the last morning, we had breakfast and asked for to go boxes that we filled and took with us to the airport so we had lunch on the plane.
We are already planning our next trip to Miaval!

Room Tip: Fly in the night before and stay near the airport so you can have a full first day. Take the tour s...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Emma H
MiravalManager, Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Emma,
Thank you for your terrific and very thorough posting! It's true Miraval is a fantastic getaway -- because of exactly what you said . . . the diverse selection of different things to do allows everyone to find something that speaks to them perfectly. While that is true, it's also very important to allow yourself some quiet here so that you can digest it all. The Quiet Room in the Spa is one of our guests' most favorite spots to unwind and enjoy the mountain views. Many of our East Coast visitors often travel the day before check-in and stay at an airport hotel--as you did. Great idea, as it allows you to get to us early and starting enjoying the entire day.
All of us are so delighted you and your eight girlfriends enjoyed your getaway together with us.
Please come and visit us again soon!
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

This hotel is unbelievable, the service could not be better, the energy is completely serene and the spa is first class! If you want to unplug and get away this is the best option I have experienced on the planet!

• Stayed August 2014
Dear Matt,

Thank you for your wonderful review! To be considered your best get-away option on the planet is a remarkable compliment. All of us are delighted we exceeded your expectations! Please come and visit us again soon. We will be here to help you unplug again!
Brea, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

My husband and I came for 3 days / 2 nights in August...First, I was expecting a much CLEANER room than we had. This place was hyped up by so many celebs and really was expecting it to be remarkable. But let me break it down from the fist moment we arrived.

When we pulled up to the grounds, you have to drive up to a gate and buzz in. The person in the speaker will then ask who you are and if you are checking in. We told them, we then drove in the gates once they opened it. As we drove up to the area they told us to get to, there was a lady standing outside waiting for us. She asked for the keys to car and tagged all our luggage in the trunk. She then said they will take the luggage to our rooms and they will park the car. By the time we arrived, it was the end of lunch time. So instead of checking us in, she quickly took us to the restaurant and sat us so we can eat some lung. (keep in mind this resort is all inclusive for Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and some snacks like juice between CERTAIN TIMES... NOT ALCOHOL). After we ate lunch (pretty decent) we then went and checked in. So far everyone seemed nice.

Then we walked to the room... (this place is pretty big so take a small tour when ever you are ready to once checked in). Once we got our room, I can INSTANTLY SMELL THE MOLD! My nose is so sensitive, I can smell anything... ESPECIALLY MOLD! When we entered our room, the SMELL OF MOLD GOT EVEN STRONGER!!!!! This place was so dusty, bug and moths and creatures ALL OVER... INSIDE AND OUT! I The room felt so OUTDATED... so dirty. The AC is ridiculously loud! Kept me up! I even heard other customers complaining about their AC as well.

This place is FILLED WITH THE BIGGEST BUGS THAT WE HAVE EVER SEEN! I WOULD THING THEY WOULD CONTROL THE BUGS AT THE RESTAURANT AND ROOMS AT LEAST! ANTS WERE BIGGER THAN MY HUSBANDS FINGER NAILS! THEY WOULD TRY TO ATTACK OUR FOOD AT THE RESTAURANT.

Now the FOOD is what this place has! THE FOOD IS DELICIOUS! But be careful if you don't eat PORK or SEAFOOD... there's lots of it mixed in the choices they give you. But they do their best to make you something a la carte I guess you can say. They have SODA... But like everyone complained about, NO FRIES. But you don't really need fries with all the yummy food they give you.

The spa treatments are okay. We each did two treatments. My husband and I both did a Hammam treatment. It was REALLY GOOD! I got Leah, she is amazing... made me feel really comfortable. The second service I got was a "relaxation" massage.... NOT WORTH THE MONEY!! I got SO TICKED OFF! The female I got literally made me feel like I was a burden and HALF ASSED THE ENTIRE THING!! I don't even remember her name... NOT WORTH IT. My husband did a Deep Tissue massage... he said it was good, but not great. Not like the Korean Massages he is used to.

The Younger staff seemed nicer than the older staff. BUT ONE THING I DID NOTICE... ONLY on the first day that we arrived they all seemed super friendly. But then after that day was over they seemed rude and grouchy. I would NOT pay the price they charge to stay again honestly, UNLESS they gave me a NEWER CLEANER ROOM!

As I type this review, I feel like I can not describe everything in this one review.... I just really WISHED we had a clean room WITHOUT MOLD!

Room Tip: Try to get a newer clean room! Be sure to ask the location of the rooms as well!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank LuckyMommy143
Dear Asil and Christopher,
Congratulations on winning your complimentary trip to Miraval from the Ellen Show! To date we have never experienced mold problems in the room you stayed in; perhaps its location right on the water feature is what you sensed. Also, we regularly treat our restaurant areas to keep the desert's natural guests from getting too near, especially this time of year with the monsoon season. We apologize that one of them got too close to you. We are sorry you did not enjoy your one of your spa treatments, but are delighted you both enjoyed the Hammam offering. Chef Justin and his team are thrilled your enjoyed his food, and when you return, he would be happy to make you the best homemade French fries you've ever had, while our Executive Housekeeper will be sure to inspect your room to exceed the highest standards of cleanliness.
Kennewick, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

I've been o Miraval numerous times and it is always a wonderful experience. The lectures are always extremely informative, spa treatments are exquisite and the fitness classes are fun and challenging. I go as often as possible and always leave feeling energized and recharged.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MiravalManager, Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear Tana,
You are very kind to return to us over and over, and it delights us to know we deliver to you the perfect Miraval vacation you seek each time. There is always something new to do at Miraval and we promise to keep it the exquisite experience you described. Thank you for your friendship with us!