“Thank you for an amazingly indulgent and mindful adventure”

Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
Dorset
“Thank you for an amazingly indulgent and mindful adventure”
Reviewed 30 August 2014

I came as a sceptic and left completely converted to the Miraval Experience. From the moment I arrived I was enchanted with everything – the room, the food, the spa, the pools, the grounds, the challenges, the lectures, the activities, the staff and the other guests. Don’t be put off by celebrity endorsements and “characters” from reality TV shows instead focus on your own wellbeing, find that genuine Miraval Moment and you won’t be disappointed. Remember to pack plenty of bug spray as the mosquitoes are vicious! Thank you for an amazingly indulgent and mindful adventure.

Room Tip: You get what you pay for - make sure you understand the different grades and locations of rooms - pa...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
MiravalManager, Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 2 September 2014
Hello! We love receiving notes like yours and knowing that the former skeptic in you has now become a great friend of ours. Indeed, Miraval is all about the finding “the moment” that genuinely speaks to you. Thank you for your visit and we will be looking forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 27 August 2014

I went on a mother daughter vacation to Miraval and was delighted by the experience. The resort is located in a spectacular setting with exceptional staff, activities, food, accommodations and customer service. It is a very special place that I would highly recommend

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
MiravalManager, Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Hello!
Thank you so much for your kind words! We agree that Mother Nature has provided us with a spectacular backdrop to enjoy a vacation that is full of meaning. We are thrilled that the mother-daughter time you sought worked out so perfectly and we are proud to be part of a memory that will last a long, long time. Come and see us again soon!
Connecticut
Reviewed 22 August 2014

I felt so blessed to have the experience I did at Miraval. This was my first trip and it was fabulous. It was the perfect way to spend a long weekend with my best friend. The staff were so attentive and thoughtful. The food was delicious and there were so many options. I particularly enjoyed the mindful eating workshop and have been able to continue using what I learned. It is so nice to watch the sun set on the mountains while eating dinner. The Equine Experience is a must! Hiking is my favorite form of exercise and the morning hikes were challenging enough (there are different options) and the scenery is just beautiful. Of course, the spa was fabulous. The treatments I enjoyed were Shamana Karma, the Calming Hot Stone Massage, and Pickly Pear Body Scrub. I will definitely do them all again. I (Be sure to spend time in the Relaxation Room before and after treatments.) I was able to do it all - relax by the pool and read a book, exercise, increase my knowledge in the classes. I left feeling rejuvenated and ready to return to life. I cannot wait to return. It was magical.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
MiravalManager, Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear Annie!
We are so delighted to receive your kind words and are thrilled you enjoyed your time here with your best friend. It is descriptions like yours that express the true spirit and feeling of the Miraval Experience, and we are delighted your stay was as magical as you described. Please come and see us again soon.
California
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We came here to celebrate my wife's 40th birthday. She love's yoga, massages, and fitness classes. I came along not knowing what to expect and thinking I would probably just sit by the pool all week, maybe even get a little bored. Man, was I wrong. Even though I did end up sitting by the pool a bit, I also took yoga classes, took a couples thai massage class, had my first facial, had a few pedicures, got a ton of massages, did a cardio drumming class, and went on morning desert hikes every other day. Miraval is paradise! I definitely enjoyed our stay here as much as my wife did. The staff is super friendly, attentive, and accommodating. The grounds are lush and very well maintained. The rooms are very comfortable and clean. The views of the Santa Catalina mountains are gorgeous (especially at sunrise and sunset). The food was delicious, fresh, and healthy (impressive breakfast and lunch buffet, and a great dinner menu). The Sommelier was very knowledgable and gave us great recommendations for wine pairing at dinner. We can't wait to come back here again!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
MiravalManager, Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Hello!
We love receiving reviews just like yours -- from the unsuspecting husbands who wind up being delighted by the assortment of "guy" things to do at Miraval -- your words sum it up perfectly! We believe our property is a perfect couples' retreat that lends itself to a natural relationship re-connection and rejuvenation. So glad you enjoyed Elizabeth's sommelier knowledge as this is a lovely way to relax and enjoy your evening meals. Aren't you glad you agreed to come along?
Please come and see us again soon.
Princeton, NJ
Reviewed 12 August 2014

This was my first trip to Miraval which I can't help but compare to Canyon Ranch. Miraval is significantly less expensive, the rooms are nicer, and the food is better. The spa services and morning hikes were excellent. I felt the staff at Miraval was not very friendly, or informed. The check-in staff did not have answers to some very elementary questions and was not very welcoming. If you're going to relax, have a fun weekend with your girlfriends, get some exercise, and take some classes - Miraval is a good option. If you want more medical/athletic help (weight loss, grief counseling, physical/nutrition counseling), Canyon Ranch is a much better option.

Room Tip: The 100's are closest to everything and yet still quiet. Ask for a room facing the mountains...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
6 Thank susannTheGo
MiravalManager, Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Susan,

Thank you for staying with us. We appreciate all of your kind compliments and have noted your comment that some of our staff were distracted or not on point when speaking with you.

It is often the kudos OF the warm, friendly and welcoming staff at Miraval of which we are most proud; I'm sorry we fell down in your eyes in this area. Please accept this sincere apology.

We know you have many options to select from when choosing a weekend retreat; it is our hope that you will remember Miraval when making your get-away plans again. Come and see us again soon.

Tucson, Arizona, United States
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Lucky Lucky me... I got to travel to Miraval again with my sister. Its an amazing place to go and relax, share experiences and visit with each other. We had a wonderful room with a great view of the mountains, and each evening we enjoyed sitting on our patio together watching the mountains turn pink as the sun set. (and Oh, those fabulous beds) We shared some classes (Yoga and Meditation) and we each had individual experiences so when we got together again we had stories to tell. I enjoyed my Pilates For Equestrians ... Pam, who is a favorite, was able to explain some new techniques, which I put to immediate use on my next ride. Another favorite is Ella who does one of the best massages I've ever had. We both enjoyed Lunch With Andrew, the exercise physiologist, who is both totally entertaining and extremely knowledgeable. The last day I had a wonderful facial with Victoria and left Miraval totally relaxed. It was so much fun sharing our experiences over our meals... and such great meals they are... I have been to Miraval before, and the healthy eating that I do there is another thing that I take home, to incorporate into my life. We took advantage of the quiet beauty to walk, talk, just be together and make more memories
The other class I especially enjoyed was a new one by Pam Lancaster Ceremonies for the Soul. She showed new ways to make that deeper connection with the soul. I always leave Miraval deeply satisfied.

Room Tip: I love the patios.... Arizona is such an outdoor place
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
MiravalManager, Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Robin,
When the sister connection is emotionally deep, it's nice to know there is a place where you can both be safe on a physical, emotional, and spiritual level. Sharing a new story/experience with the other is certainly one of the most memorable parts of any sisters' vacation. We are delighted you find such deep satisfaction here and that we could be a part of a lovely memory that will make you both smile deeply whenever you think of Miraval.
West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I just got back from a 4 day stay at Miraval with 8 girlfriends. This was the most fantastic girls getaway I have experienced! Incredible from beginning to end. I will try to do it justice with this review.
First, if coming from a different time zone, I would recommend flying in the night before and staying at a hotel near the airport (not the Fairfield Inn...It was terrible). The Miraval van picked us up at 9:00 AM Sunday morning and we were at the resort by 10:00 so that we could enjoy a full day.
We were handed fresh fruit smoothies when we arrived and were checked in. We took the tour of the property (I highly recommend this as the property is large with lots of amenities) including the tour of the spa.
There is so much too do that it is tempting to go all day but I recommend planning in some down time. Good places to relax are the reflexology pool which is shaded all day and has these rocks that you can walk on to massage your feet. Another great location for some down time is the relaxation room at the spa. It is a quiet zone so no talking, music, distractions.
Every activity I participated in was first class. The first day I lazed around and had a 50 minute relaxation massage with Chrystal. She was wonderful. She customized my massage based on what I told her I liked. We made a 7:00 PM reservation for dinner each night and ate outside 3 of 4 nights and it was cool enough even in August. The last night we all came in our robes and ate inside. The food was soooo good! We started each night with a few flat breads to share and then had an appetizer and main course. The filet was perfect, the quail I would pass on.
The second day, I had a private "Optimal Fitness Diagnostic" session with Andrew Wolf. He ran some tests and then build a 12 week heart rate work out for me based on my heart rates and body fat. It was well worth the fee.
Cardio Drumming was an absolute blast! I did it twice and it was a great workout and loads of fun!
I attended the cooking demonstration at lunch. Get there early if you want a seat. It was wonderful!
On Tues and Wed I did the 6:00 AM Outback Hike. It was a very good 2 hour workout and the sights were breathtaking. The guides pointed out wildlife (we saw a jackrabbit, snakes and heard coyotes) and explained the plants and plains.
The floating Meditation was peaceful and lovely. We were instructed how to climb into silk type hammocks hanging from the ceiling. We were only about 3 feet from the floor. Once in our silk sheets, the instructor gently swung us and then hit different hollow bowls that vibrated and soothed us while we meditated.
I had a neck, shoulder and foot massage with Rick who was also a wonderful therapist, able to go quite deep if you want.
I attended a balance workshop and found out I have no balance! I will now introduce balance exercises into my daily routine.
The menopause workshop I attended with on RN who specialized in menopause. Only 2 of us attended so it was a private session. She answered all of my questions and provided some very good recommendations.
One of my friends did "Swing and a Prayer" and really got a lot out of it. Another friend did the Equine Experience and was very moved by it.
My last massage was with Tama. She was the only therapist that I did not enjoy. She just could not go deep enough. I asked 3 times and finally just counted down the minutes until it was over.
Don't use her!
On the last morning, we had breakfast and asked for to go boxes that we filled and took with us to the airport so we had lunch on the plane.
We are already planning our next trip to Miaval!

Room Tip: Fly in the night before and stay near the airport so you can have a full first day. Take the tour s...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Emma H
MiravalManager, Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Emma,
Thank you for your terrific and very thorough posting! It's true Miraval is a fantastic getaway -- because of exactly what you said . . . the diverse selection of different things to do allows everyone to find something that speaks to them perfectly. While that is true, it's also very important to allow yourself some quiet here so that you can digest it all. The Quiet Room in the Spa is one of our guests' most favorite spots to unwind and enjoy the mountain views. Many of our East Coast visitors often travel the day before check-in and stay at an airport hotel--as you did. Great idea, as it allows you to get to us early and starting enjoying the entire day.
All of us are so delighted you and your eight girlfriends enjoyed your getaway together with us.
Please come and visit us again soon!