“Stained Carpets, Unbearably Uncomfortable Couches & Outdated Decor”

Starr Pass Golf Suites
Ranked #66 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersBronze level
Gilbert, Arizona
“Stained Carpets, Unbearably Uncomfortable Couches & Outdated Decor”
Reviewed 8 July 2011

This was our first time staying at Starr Pass. I have played the golf course several times and enjoyed the course. However, the golf suites were a different story. When we entered our suite, there was a massive stain as if a large dog had just relieved itself. The couch in the living area was so uncomfortable that my wife and I decided to watch TV in the bedroom instead of enjoying our suite. Then the air conditioning went. We were told that they knew there was a problem but it was never adressed. We waited 4 hours until they figured out the problem. Normally I would not care, however it was 110 degrees outside and the room temperture went from 78 degrees to 90 degrees in a hurry. Would recommend staying at La Paloma or the Lodge at Ventana Canyon.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank rergood
SPGmanagement, Manager at Starr Pass Golf Suites, responded to this review, 15 July 2011
I appreciate the time you took to notify us of the challenges that you experienced during your stay.
I think you will be pleased to hear that we are in the process of performing some upgrades to our units, including new couches that include a higher back and thicker cushions. Along with these advancements, we are purchasing new carpet. I am very sorry to hear about your negative experience with the air conditioning and would truly appreciate it if you could please contact me at athiem@shellvacationsllc.com so we could discuss further. This is a situation that I would want to have heard was handled differently and I would like to be able to use this as a significant training tool for our staff. Thank you very much, and I hope to hear from you soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 5 July 2011

The suites were nice, the area was nice, the staff was nice... but what is with the bodacious, earsplitting, out of control pool party's and the the blaring bass and music from the pools and parking areas!! Really?????
I guess I was surprised that one guest wrote only saw a few beer bottles the next morning.... Alcohol was free flowing and I have to believe that security gates were opened for anyone that shook them I think.

I also know that one morning a big complaint from the locals that swim there in the morning, was the rude, disrespectful older teens. Like vacation means let your children turn into animals!!! I know for certain that they voiced their concerns to the staff near the pool the next morning. But that afternoon the bodacious, earsplitting, out of control pool party returned .... guess this Resort is just one big out of control party with an accident at the pool just waiting to happen.

Disappointing to say the least. Not sure if we will go back to this this one.

Shell Members.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank bananaamy
I am very sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay with us. I appreciate you bringing your concerns to our attention. These comments have showed us that due to the high demand over holiday weekends, we need to increase our staffing to accommodate our guests as well as the condition of the property. We take safety very seriously and certainly want to communicate that to all of our guests, owners, and members. Our management team and staff will do everything possible to make the necessary changes to improve. Thank you for being a guest with us and we truly hope you will stay with us again.
Central PA
Reviewed 3 July 2011

Nice desert location, power went out 5 min after I checked in, so pool closed 2 hrs early at 8 pm. Power back at 1:15 am.
Used pool at 6 am, very nice, but lots of empty beer bottles around from night before. Rooms are nice, beds very very firm.
Was called by front desk at 10:05, they said check out was at 10 AM, and they are completely booked. They said they could give me until 11 to leave. They were nice, but that kind of spoiled the visit. Not sure if I'd return.

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank Hogandoc1
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 27 June 2011

The ground were great, beautiful Tucson desert. A hiking trail was right behind our condo. Upon arrival, just stepping out of the car we were greeted with a family of desert javelins. It was a sight worth dropping all my luggage and breaking out the camera. 8-12 of them crossed the road into the mountain not more than 5 ft in front of us. BE CAREFUL NOT TO APPROSCH THEM, just look and take pictures. We staying in a studio suite with a king bed. It was nice, but I would ask when the suites were last remodeled. They seemed a bit old. I have no complaints overall, we stayed 2 nights and were happy. The pool is a pool, we had some friends staying in the JW resort just up the hill, so used their pool (would love to go back to the JW, it was a great property and fantastic pool for a 4 year old).
If I were to go to Tucson again I would stay again. The only issue is the location, it is away from any restaurants. If you want to eat out, your options are JW Marriot restaurants, being your own or travel 10 miles (past some real shady parts of town) to the university.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
I am so glad to hear that you were able to experience our fantastic wildlife up close and personal. If you ever want to share your pictures, feel free to E-mail them to me at athiem@shellvacationsllc.com Guests have recently told me they have seen a group as large as 22 roaming around!
I think you will be excited to know that we will soon be undergoing some updates to our units featuring new carpet. We recently placed new flat screen TV’s in all of the units, and also have added all new and energy efficient appliances in our one bedrooms, about to be followed by new couches, and carpet.
I encourage you to come back and stay with us and experience the advancements!
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 21 June 2011

I was in one of the 2 bed with fridge and microwave rooms. The outside temp was in the high 90s and comfortable at night while I was there. Beds were comfortable but the foam type which seem to make them a bit warm. The room could do with a ceiling fan to keep the air circulating. The air conditioner was noisy but I did get used to it. I did end up fighting large cockroaches for the bed. First one appeared on the bed I was not sleeping on. I called the front desk and they sent someone to capture it. About 2 nights later, I found one with me in my bed, in my hair. I took care of it. I took out the garbage daily so I don't know where they were coming from and it made me a bit jumpy. Other than my buggy roommates, I through the setting was great, the room clean, comfortable and staff friendly. The pool was a lap pool so great for the kids and very large. I would go back.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank lreid46
Kokomo
Reviewed 26 April 2011

This resort is in a beautiful desert setting, however, you pay a little for this luxury. We were not allowed access to our three rooms until check in time at 4 PM. We can understand this, however, housekeeping knocked on each of our doors the next morning at 9 AM. Since this was so early, we declined service at the time and lost out on the rooms being cleaned that day. Same thing the next day. Also, the regular rooms share a wall with living rooms of adjacent suites and there are connecting doors. All noise, no matter how low, is transmitted through these doors. Finally, there are frosted windows in the showers. We went by our son's room when he was showering and could clearly see him in the shower! NOT GOOD!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank LyndaF055
Surprise, Arizona
Reviewed 23 April 2011

Mattress has no box springs and sinks when you lie down.The unit we had was a small
one bedroom with a mini-fridge and microwave.Great view of the golf course and high desert.Unit needs updated . Purchased 3 nights for$160 thru priceline.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple