“Poor handicapped accessibility.” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #70 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Poor handicapped accessibility.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

When I called to book this property I specifically requested a totally accessible suite. When we got there the only thing accessible in the bathroom was the bar around the toilet. Bathtub had a stool but no bars. Shower was not accessible at all. Furniture had to be moved to get around.

The bathroom in the lobby was not wheelchair accessible. Yet the pool had a lift which was a pleasant surprise.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Sandi S
Shell W, Shell Social Media Team at Starr Pass Golf Suites, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
Hi Sandi,

We are so sorry to hear that the unit you were placed in was not handicapped accessible. We know this situation provided unexpected challenges during your stay. Please know we will do our best to prevent these types of situations from occurring in the future. Thanks for providing this feedback.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Wenatchee, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

We weren't sure what to expect as we stayed there on a timeshare exchange and it was our trip to AZ. We are a family of 4 which includes a 17 and 19 year old boy and girl. The boy, a 10 handicapper, golfed the Coyote and Roadrunner [great rate from EZLinks on-line] and said the courses compared with Kaanapali Kai in Hawaii. In other words the courses were outstanding. The lodging units were pleasant and fairly spacious. They are NOT close to the pro shop, office/restaurant or pool. With that said we asked for a unit close to the pool and it was about a 6 to 7 min walk to get there. Along the way you see a variety of cool cacti and javalinas which were cute but can be threatening when little ones are present. The pool is very nice...there is no shade at the pool and no umbrellas. There is shade and grass nearby however.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank suntracker09
SPGmanagement, Guest Relations Manager at Starr Pass Golf Suites, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
Thank you for providing us with feedback from your stay.. I am truly glad to hear that your family enjoyed their time here at our beautiful resort and that your child enjoyed the golf course. We do have alot of beautiful views including the wonderful wildlife that we have here. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon!
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013 via mobile

I stayed in the two bedroom suite with three friends, so we had plenty of room. I wouldn't want to stay in the small studio one bedroom that some people are complaining about, this is a timeshare property meant to accommodate families for long stays. We loved the place! Quiet, dark, full kitchen, lots of space, two bathrooms for all us girls. We really liked the staff, they were so kind and catered to anything we needed. They knew us by name and what room we were staying in. Now before you start thinking we were obnoxious, we asked for two things in four days: a toothbrush and a parking pass. They were always ready to help with a smile.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay here at our lovely resort. I am so glad to hear that the staff was more than happy to accommodate you and your needs. We strive for the best and want our guests to feel like this is their home away from home. We hope to see you back in the future. Thank you!!!
Las Cruces, NM
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

I wanted to stay in the Starr Pass Resort but it was booked and I opted for the Golf Suites instead. The Golf Suites are conveniently located to the resort, you can easily walk there if you wish to get a coffee from Starbucks or go to one of the restaurants. The Golf Suites aren't super fancy, but they are clean and comfortable, and the king-sized bed had a very good mattress that made for a good nights' sleep. They also provided a great selection of pillows, always a plus so you can pick which you like best. The rooms make you feel like you've gotten away from it all and are out in the quiet desert with no civilization around. However, there's not a spooky or scared feeling about staying here at all, it seems very secure and safe. The only thing I'd forewarn you about it, is that this is pretty off-the-beaten track for some of the tourist attractions in Tucson. If you want to golf, it's great; but if you want to go to some of Tucson's attractions, you'll have a bit of a drive to get there.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wendy L
Wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay here at the Golf Suites. The seclusion that we have here at the Golf Suites is such a wonderful feeling, making our guests feel that they can just get away from it all. I am truly glad that you enjoyed that we were able to make your stay with us comfortable. We look forward to having you stay here with us again.
Thank you!!
Victoria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013

My husband and I just keep coming back. This time we added another night. Then another! The one bedroom condos are very comfortable (especially the wonderful king size bed!!) and well appointed. We always have everything we need and then some - full kitchen, living / dining room, laundry room, outside patio, etc. The location is great - close to town but also out in the "wilderness". Very peaceful (except for the A/C which is extremely noisy) and lots of birds and wildlife (although less than there was before it got as built up as it is now...). Close to the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum - a "must see"!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MMC990
Thank you for your kind review. I am glad that we were able to accommodate all your needs.It is always nice to hear that our rentals have everything that is needed to help out guests feel right at home. It is also very lovely all the wildlife that we have out here in the desert. We look forward to having you as guests again. Thank you.
Chalfont St Peter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

We stayed here for a week last week. Having read reviews of other travelers, the Resort was just as we expected. Staff are very friendly and helpful. The apartments are beautifully situated but do look a little tired although some have been refurbished.
Not so good points are: air-con noisiest ever!
No safe in the room and the safe boxes kept at reception are tiny and will not hold a Tablet. So although you are told not to leave valuables in the room you have no choice.
The pool was great but sun umbrellas are desperately needed.
The good points : Jodie Jennings offers great activities. Go with her on the early morning walks she offers and see the surrounding community. She will also do her very best for you if you have any problems as she is in charge of Housekeeping.
The beds are AMAZING- I have a really bad back and slept very comfortably here.
There is lots to do:
As well as walking with Jodie, we joined with the guests of the JW Marriott and went trekking early in the morning.
The Desert Museum is a great place to visit, as is The Mission and Old Tucson.
We started off in an apartment facing the mountains and saw snakes , birds and other small animals as we ate our dinner.
We then moved apartment (as this one had a few problems) and this time had a city view which we also loved .
Both offer amazing sunset views.

We thoroughly enjoyed our week here- it's so peaceful. I came away feeling unaccustomedly(for me) relaxed !!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Peykake
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

I stayed in the 2 bedroom suite in 2011. I really enjoyed having a king sized bed; and a bathroom with a separate shower and tub. My children had two beds and an en suite bathroom, which was smaller than my bathroom. There was also a sleeper couch, AKA sofa bed, in the living room. There was a kitchen, a laundry room, and a small patio. The appliances worked. The room was close to a hiking trail and to many places we wanted to visit in Tucson. It was quiet at night.

My only complaints were that my room key failed to work at one point and the bar closed early. I didn't feel like taking a cab into town for just one drink. I would never advise anyone unfamiliar with the area to drive around at night. It's remote and dark. My children loved golfing during our stay, so we decided to return summer 2013.

This time the 2 bedroom suites were fully booked, so I booked a 1 bedroom suite and my sister booked a studio for herself and her son. The maximum capacity for a 1 bedroom suite is 4 people. The maximum capacity for a studio is 2 people. Use these guidelines, especially when booking the studio. The studio has two beds, but reasonably only fits one adult and one child.

The studio was dismal. It was the second, smaller bedroom from my previous 2 bedroom suite rental, with the shared access door locked. It had two beds, a useless kitchenette, and the smaller en suite bathroom. (One sink, tub/shower combo.) The kitchenette area has utensils, a microwave, toaster, and a mini fridge.

Underneath the bathroom sink you will find a plastic bin and dish soap. (Which I found out after I washed my fork with body soap.) You can attempt washing your dishes in the bathroom sink, but it doesn't drain like a kitchen sink, so you have to diligently scrape all food into the tiny bathroom trash can, which you get to smell for the rest of your stay because housekeeping only comes twice per week. There are only two tiny trash cans in the studio and nothing on the grounds for recycling whatsoever. Bring your own plastic trash bags to dispose of your daily trash because the tiny trash cans will fill up quickly, especially without any recycling options.

I can't imagine staying in this room more than 1 night and only if you had all of your meals elsewhere. There is a restaurant on-site with a somewhat boring menu. There is an Albertsons and some fast food places nearby, if you are willing to drive in the dark.

When booking the 1 bedroom, you will be given the part of the 2 bedroom suite that includes the king sized bed, larger en suite (2 sinks, separate tub and shower), and the kitchen/living/patio areas. This is adequate for four people, assuming two don't mind sharing the sofa bed, and two share the king bed. However, we booked for four people and were only given three towels upon arrival, so we immediately had to call and ask for more. Our dishwasher didn't work and we were only provided with one pot and one pan. In my previous stay, we had ample pots and pans, as well as working appliances.

The pool is small. The gym is small. They both get the job done. The pool isn't crowded. The other guests are very friendly.

We did not eat any meals in the on-site restaurant. We only went for desserts and drinks. Both were good. I especially enjoyed a drink called El Diablo. I will make sure to have one every time I stay at this resort, although I really do hope they start upgrading the rooms in general, so that it is possible for me to continue staying here.

It is in close proximity to many attractions in Tucson, as well as the golf course next door.

I'm giving this resort 4 stars instead of 3 because the staff was incredible. This includes reservations, front desk, maintenance, housekeeping and the golf course staff. For the entire week, they jumped to accommodate every request that I had. They worked fast and were polite the entire time, without fail.

In addition, I liked that it was dark and quiet because I slept really well during my stay. I enjoyed the wildlife that I saw on my patio (javelinas, quail, etc.); and my entire family enjoyed the golf course. Although the kitchen needed to be better equipped, (no ice cube trays during 100 degree weather!), I enjoyed having the option to make meals when I wanted.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family