“Worst Hotel Experience short of the Bates Motel”

Starr Pass Golf Suites
Ranked #67 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 30 December 2013

The Good: the View is nice. Mattresses were okay. Rooms are more or less clean if worn. Carpet is neutral. The gym is good, but dated. I would guess the equipment is a few years behind, but its functional and a decent gym, but if you get there too early say, 6 am, the key card may not work and you will need to get someone at the front desk to let you in.
The Bad: the hotel hasn't been updated since I'd guess 1992. The rooms are poorly laid out with the internet wired line (yes they do NOT have wireless internet in the rooms) on the bedstand rather than being on a desk where oh that might make sense. Oh did I mention they don't have wireless internet in the rooms? They only clean the rooms after the 3rd day you stay there which isn't awful if you are alone in the room but if you have family or something you'd might have issues with this "green" policy. They don't stock any teabags in the room and the coffee for the 4 cup pot is not good. The TV is a poor Visio, not a particularly good one and the channels are limited. The VCR/DVD player in the room I would guess is from the 1990s since not many people use those anymore nor can I find them easily for sale. the bathroom shower tiles are missing grout all over and seem a bit dirty, the floors are also missing grout in the bathroom. The countertops are a brown vinyl circa late 1980s early 1990s. The bedding is not good, thin flimsy sheets and a thing top blanket that I wonder whose used lately, not ugly, I just wonder about bedding in hotel rooms as being sanitary. Also if arriving at night, the signs to everything are not lit so it's difficult to see anything. Drive very slowly to read things. Really badly done as far as the signage and zero lighting.
The truly UGLY: Customer service is exceptionally poor at this hotel. The person who checked us in registered us to the wrong rooms. I was registered to one room and given the key to the other room as was my friend and her spouse. They were registered to one room and given the key to my room. this was sorted out only because another issue occurred and it got sorted then. So on my 2nd day in they cleaned my room which I didn't realize was wrong since they don't do that until the 3rd day, well so I went in and discovered they had thrown away all my diet food including protein powder, peanut butter supplement, powerade drinks, bottled water and my coffee and tea that I'd brought with me. they had also pulled out my cooler bag from the refrigerator full of my protein bars and left it on the desk, though luckily they didn't throw it away. As it turns out they had been misinformed that I was checking out and after tossing much stuff noticed I still had clothes in the closet and my luggage amongst other things so they contact management because it appeared to be an error about me checking out. They were told, oh no she isn't checked out, stop. During the final clean out of a room of course they throw stuff away so that's why my stuff got thrown out. Okay I could've accepted this had they made any decent attempt to compensate. What I got instead was a gift basket with nasty hard candies and cookies, high calorie Arizona ice tea, full fat microwave popcorn and oh yes a coupon for a free appetizer at their restaurant. I am sure that appetizer will come in handy since I won't be here all day and it's sure to fit in with my diet. The cost of the food they tossed if I guessed would be around $75, the basket of nonsense they left not anywhere reasonably in that area and in fact completely counter to what I need to have in my room. I've advised my parents who used their time share points to book this for us to stay in for the Christmas break to not use this resort again and in fact please request this "resort" be removed from their listing of places. It really was just an awful experience. I moved my stuff to my parents house in part to prep to take home, but also because I don't trust they won't steal stuff next. Overall a bad place to stay. I highly recommend staying anywhere else but here. There is a nice Marriott in the area, that would probably be better plus being Marriott they tend to have better customer service then whoever it is that owns this, I believe it is part of Shellvacacations.

Room Tip: rooms at another hotel would be best. but if your are a glutton for punishment at least try to get...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank DenverBroncofan1
Shell W, Social Media Team at Starr Pass Golf Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Thank you for the review. We are sorry to hear you were unsatisfied with the room and resort accommodations. Please know we are always working to continue improving our resort features and your feedback will help us to do so. Our goal is to make each guest feel at home when staying with us. Because we have condo-style resorts, certain hotel amenities such as daily housekeeping do not exist. We strive to provide this information to the guest through our website, pre-arrival letter and confirmation letter. We are disappointed to hear of the confusion with the housekeeping staff, as this is not part of the Count On Me service we take pride in. Please rest assured that we will be taking action to ensure that this is not an issue for future guests. We also apologize that your internet needs were not met. We are working to improve this feature; however this may take some time. We are sorry for your experience and greatly value your feedback.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

We return here almost every year before Christmas to unwind and enjoy the huge blue skies and moderate temperatures. It is located on the western edge of Tucson, and each room we have stayed in has had a fine view of either the lights of Tucson or the hills. We feed the quail, cardinals and other desert birds and are amused by the javelinas that patrol before sunset. It is quiet here. The rooms are slightly dated but very well maintained, very clean, and extremely comfortable. Our room had 2 DVD players, one for each TV. It is delightful to have 2 TVs, so we can each watch what we enjoy without bothering the other. The kitchen is adequately equipped and functional. The onsite restaurant is good, and the resort is very close to many excellent places to dine in town. We will return.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nancy L
Reviewed 11 December 2013

The place is nice and a retreat in the mountains. Desk clerks all above average!!!
The bad is I am used to a pillow-top King and the double hard bed was not what I am used to.
My shower door would not close and the poor poinsettias are all dying for lack of water I imagine.
The T.V is nice but slow to change the channels.

Room Tip: Ask for a king bed
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 November 2013

This facility is part of our Shell Vacations Club Time Share. It was the first time we stayed there and arrived in the dark. It is very dark, would not have been able to find it without GPS. We stayed in a one bedroom Casita and it was very nice. The beds all have tempurpedic mattresses. Full kitchen with everything you need to prepare a meal. The restaurant on the property, Catalina BBQ was very good. Happy Hour 4-6 PM. The Sheraton is up the hill approx. 1 mile.

Room Tip: Great for the golfer, hiker, biker.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank MandDOnTheRoad
Reviewed 19 September 2013

This hotel was a pleasant surprise. We were in the standard room with a king bed. There was no DVD player or CD player as stated in the description and the TV was only 19 inches. However, those are not the amenities we were seeking. The room was clean and very comfortable. We chose this hotel because of the tempurpedic bed and single level casita style room. If you want the complimentary daily newspaper, you have to pick it up at the front desk. We had one problem with power going out in half the room when using the blow dryer. We called the front desk and the maintenance man appeared literally within seconds of the call. Great maintenance service, problem was fixed immediately. Absolutely beautiful area and very quiet environment. If you're seeking a peaceful night sleep and comfort, this is the place. We will go back.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jandyrone
Reviewed 18 September 2013

We arrived at the resort at night, and I was glad to have directions to it, for it is in the suburbs of Tucson. The landmark to look for when driving on Starr Pass Road is a sign that says "Catalina Barbeque". It is on the left hand side of the road, shortly after a pedestrian crossing sign. When you enter, take a left. When you get to the stop sign, there is a large building in front of you. That's it! There is someone there until midnight. The staff is wonderful, always friendly and helpful. A special thanks to Roxi and Mary.

After we checked in, we drove to Albertsons to get breakfast items. The receptionist gave us a list of places (and directions) which we might need. Albertsons was the closest grocery store, and it was a good ten minutes away. The prices there were good, as well as the selection. We bought a Marketside Southwest chopped salad with a cilantro sauce that we ate for dinner one night. It was delicious. We ate Mexican food for lunch every day and then had a light dinner. Our favorite place was "On the Border" on E Broadway Blvd in Tucson. Yummy food with terrific lunch prices. It is a chain, but the food was exactly what we wanted.

We had a one-bedroom suite. As mentioned before, the king bed had a comfortable Tempurpedic mattress and plenty of closet space and storage. The bathroom had two sinks, a tub, shower, and separate toilet area. The kitchen was well-stocked, although fewer kitchen items than in some we've stayed in. The pantry off the kitchen contained a fell-size washer and dryer, but there was no complimentary soap or fabric softener. Under the kitchen sink was dishwasher powder, a sponge, paper towels, and dishwater soap. Shampoo, conditioner, and soap were in the bathroom.

Pros: Clean, spacious suite with a wonderful view of the city at night. A hiking trail was close to our unit, #62A. Scenic view of golf course and nearby hills. Lots of nature--saw a coyote, quail, rabbits, javelinas, and a roadrunner! Close to the city, yet you have a feel of being in the country. Amenities included a lap pool and hot tub, tennis court, golf course, and restaurant. Upon demand, a shuttle will come to take you up to the nearby Marriott, where you can use the business center but not the pool or lazy river. Easy to get into city and other tourist areas. Great staff!

Cons: There were few organized activities, but we were there in September. Perhaps there are more when children are not in school. No adult only pool. No business center in the main building and no wi fi in the rooms. (Mary was very accommodating and printed up boarding passes for us.) Air conditioning unit is rather loud. Difficult to find entrance to the resort and our casita at night because of low-lighting. (Low-lighting is actually nice once you know where everything is located.)

Favorite things to see/do: Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, Mission an Xavier del Bac, Arizona State Museum, drive to top of Mt. Lemmon. If you go to see the Presidio, try to go on a Saturday. There is little traffic, and you can park in the library parking lot for free.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank schneewitchen
Reviewed 3 September 2013

When I called to book this property I specifically requested a totally accessible suite. When we got there the only thing accessible in the bathroom was the bar around the toilet. Bathtub had a stool but no bars. Shower was not accessible at all. Furniture had to be moved to get around.

The bathroom in the lobby was not wheelchair accessible. Yet the pool had a lift which was a pleasant surprise.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Sandi S
Shell W, Shell Social Media Team at Starr Pass Golf Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2013

Hi Sandi,

We are so sorry to hear that the unit you were placed in was not handicapped accessible. We know this situation provided unexpected challenges during your stay. Please know we will do our best to prevent these types of situations from occurring in the future. Thanks for providing this feedback.