“many troubles, but they tried”

Starr Pass Golf Suites
Ranked #66 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 12 October 2008

This was a challenging vacation at a resort that didn't meet my expectations. I had a confirmed one bedroom exchange through Interval International. When I checked in at Starr Pass, I was given a key to my unit. I went to the unit and couldn't open the door with the key. Had to return to the front desk; was given another key and told an engineer would meet me there. He was able to open the door, but upon entering I realized it was a studio, not a one bedroom. Returned again to the front desk and showed my confirmation for the one bedroom. I was told that Interval International (II) had notified them that I was confirmed for a studio. Next morning after calling II, I was told that Starr Pass WAS notified of my one bedroom confirmation. Calling the front desk once again, I was told they didn't have any one bedrooms available. Then I was told I could be moved to another room, a one bedroom, in a couple days. After the hassle of moving to another room, the toilet in that room was leaking and I woke up to a wet bathroom floor. They opened the door to the attached studio so I could use the bathroom in there while the toilet was being fixed. A couple days later, late in the evening, someone from the resort staff entered unannounced into the attached studio, checking to see if it was occupied. Needless to say, this was a very difficult situation at a resort where I had high expectations. I also had a problem trying to enter the pool my first day there because the key card didn't work. I kept thinking -- what else could possibly go wrong? The resort did attempt a remedy by banking an extra week in my II account. Still, I felt they could have done more given the amount of hassle I suffered.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled solo
2  Thank shrambo

Reviewed 10 October 2008

We normally stay at the JW Marriott at Starr Pass, however, since it was Family Weekend at the University of Arizona, they were completely booked. We loved the area so we decided to try the Starr Pass Golf Suites which is located a mile or so from the JW Marriott.

We reserved a 2 bedroom suite and was pleasantly surprised how spacious and well furnished the rooms were. From our patio we had a wonderful view of the golf course, desert, and mountains.

The pool was not necessarily the "resort" type but served its purpose. The exercise room was fully equipped. The only drawback was that there was not a full service restaurant open for breakfast.

The service was excellent from the time we checked in to the time we checked out.

I would recommend the Starr Pass Golf Suites to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Knobbi
Reviewed 3 September 2008

The hotel is located at the back of a new exclusive, country club community development on the west side of Tucson. Although a little bit distant from most tourist locations and downtown, it felt secluded and relaxing, away from the hustle and bustle of the city.
We purchased two nights at the Starr Pass Golf Suites for $74 per night on Hotwire. I think this was a good deal, considering that TripAdvisor gives an average price of $219 per night—granted, that’s probably for the larger rooms!

We stayed in Casita #39B, just a short drive (or walk) from the main clubhouse—this is their most basic suite setup, and perfect for what we needed.

There were two tempura-pedic double beds, tv, microwave, small refrigerator, closet, table and two chairs in the main room. The bathroom was spacious with a large mirror and long cabinet, perfect for setting out all of our toiletries. The bed linens seemed a bit dated, but were still in nice shape and comforftable. The window in the bedroom overlooked the mountains and the golf course. A small parking lot allowed us to park a few feet from our front door.

The staff was very accommodating, eager to give directions and recommendations. They even left a voicemail on our phone to welcome us to Tucson. The resort also includes a pool, tennis courts, and a restaurant, although we didn’t use any of these amenities on our stay.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
StarrpassAZgsm, Guest Service Manager at Starr Pass Golf Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2008

Thank you so much for your review!
Our staff is very happy that you enjoyed your visit with us.
The pictures you took turned out great, we love to see our guests post pictures.
Again, thank you for staying with us and come back soon!

Reviewed 2 September 2008

Very nice accommodations for the price. The room and the bathroom were both large and clean. Beds were very comfortable. The only down side is that the rooms are not very close to the pool or the lobby and this was also the upside because there was very little traffic so it was very quiet.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank bird15
Reviewed 28 August 2008

I had to go for business to Tucson and all the hotels downtown were full, so we ended up in this resort for a great price (it was low season). We had a wonderful 6 night stay. Very attentive staff (we locked ourselves out and they made no fuss about it and helped us out), clean suites and resort grounds, close to downtown (about 12 minutes) and quiet. We did hear our neighbors thru the connection door, but I feel that is to be expected in any hotel. The room was nice and cool (even too cool for me and we turned it down a bit). Great swimming pool, 2 restaurants to choose from, free shuttle to the bigger resort next door with even more restaurants. I was almost sorry I do not play golf since the grounds looked wonderful. All in all I will request for my next office visit to stay there if possible when it fits within the budget. I am afraid to ask what it will cost in high season :)

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 August 2008

We stayed here while moving our kids back to the U of A. It was a peaceful and scenic location. Room was clean, and had all the ameniites needed. Already booking our next stay for graduation!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 August 2008

We loved our stay here. It was peaceful and quiet and they have a great pool. The staff was very pleasant and helpful. The only issue we had was with the coffee pot in our room. We highly recommend this resort and we will stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family