My wife and I had always fancied staying on a ranch in the USA and decided to take the chance. We researched a number of ranches in the Arizona area and eventually decided to try the Tanque Verde ranch. Within a day if our stay we realised that we had made the right choice!
The Tanque Verde caters for all age groups and has a wide range of activities and areas of interest.
Firstly the horse riding. My wife is an advanced rider and I am at best intermediate. However, we rode at least twice a day out on the many surrounding trails and sometimes into the beautiful national park adjacent to the ranch. We cannot speak highly enough of the wranglers, particularly Mike, Mark and Karen who were both fun and informative. Whilst on each ride we saw beautiful scenery and a whole host of wildlife.
The food at the ranch is both high quality and plentiful. Breakfast and lunch are mainly buffet style and there is such a great choice! Dinner was fantastic every night and Sean was our waiter for every meal. He was friendly and helpful and provided excellent customer service.
The Dog House Saloon is a great place to relax, eat popcorn, play pool and drink produce from local breweries and vineyards either before or after dinner (or both!!) The barmaids are so friendly and attentive. You can even sit on the balcony at the rear of the saloon and watch the sun go down over the ranch.
On our last evening, a Wednesday night, we attended the Cowboy Cookout at the Cottonwood Grove. This was possibly our best experience at the ranch as we sat at picnic tables eating wonderfully prepared food and listened to a local cowboy playing his guitar and singing country and western songs into the night. This was followed by line dancing lessons conducted by Nancy, probably the funniest part of the evening as most people tried and failed to keep up with Nancy, ending up doing 'their own thing' instead of the correct steps!
The rooms at the ranch are exellent and have everything you need for the stay. The beds are comfortable and clean and the bathrooms are spacious with beautiful toiletries provided.It was a bit of a culture shock to find that the rooms do not have TV's but we embraced this and it provided a complete break from the outside world for our five day stay. The views from the rooms are unbelievable and breathtaking across the acres and mountain ranges surrounding the ranch.
We arranged a day trip to Tombstone as part of our stay and we would like to say a big thank you to Steve for taking us to Tombstone and being extremely informative.
Finally, the Tanque Verde has an excellent little gift shop which contains ranch gifts and a selection of gifts made by local people such as soaps and jewellery. Again we found that Nancy (who works in the shop) was a very friendly lady and even helped us to attach straps to our hats before riding so that they wouldn't blow off!
If anybody is debating whether to go to the Tanque Verde ranch our answer is simple - BOOK & GO!! It is one of the best experiences we have ever had and we would love to return to the ranch.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tanque Verde Ranch Resort was named "Best Dude Ranch in Arizona" by Dude Republic in 2012, as well as a "Top Ten Family Resort" by the Travel Channel since 2007, and a "Top Five Ranch" by Conde Nast in 2008. Tanque Verde Ranch is one of America’s old time cattle and guest ranches. Located on 60,000 acres of Tucson’s most breathtaking desert landscapes, nestled amongst the Rincon Mountains and adjacent to Saguaro National Park and Coronado National Forest. Established in 1868, the superb guest ranch is recognized as the last luxurious outpost of the old west providing guests with plush accommodations, unparalleled amenities and a vast array of exciting activities such as horseback riding, mountain biking, fishing and hiking. La Sonora Spa is the perfect place for a bit of quiet relaxation, and the kids will love all the supervised children's programs! Don't hesitate – getaway at one of the premier, all-inclusive dude ranches in the country. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, LoveHolidays, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Agoda, Travel Republic (UK), Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Tanque Verde Ranch reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tanque Verde Ranch Hotel Tucson
- Tanque Verde Ranch Tucson, Arizona