“Robbed of Deposit”

Ranked #30 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Robbed of Deposit”
Reviewed 15 September 2012

Booked a few weeks in advance, and then tried to cancel just a few days later as my girlfriend wasn't able to get the time off. They refused to give me back my $500 deposit.

I will certainly not recomment this place to my friends as it really appears that they profit from other mis-fortunes that attempt to visit for a short notice weekend get away.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank DinkorSink
GeoffreyFCampbell, Director of Operations at Tanque Verde Ranch, responded to this review, 17 September 2012
We did everything we could to quickly accomodate and satisfy this potential guest including unconditionally refunding his deposit within our cancellation window, which is where the issue stands.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 15 September 2012

We came to TVR for the first time in Nov.'10. Since then we have visited 6 more times. It is the first place we think of for a vacation, and has become our second home. What a pleasure to get picked up at the airport by Steve and his 'stash, arrive to see Juan or Bea, smiling at the front desk, flop down on a comfortable bed, and wake up to a wonderful lope ride at sunrise. LeighAnn and Heather (your first contacts) make planning your vacation painless. ALL the Wranglers will show you a good time AND teach you how to ride a horsie. Ben, the head chef will greet you while you dine (and feed you 'til you pop), and Claire, the baker, will make sure you've eaten enough calories. If Paige, the amazing massage therapist, doesn't make your aches and pains disappear (her treatments are considered "medically necessary") then Lisa, head Bartendress in the Dog House, will fill up your glass with a fine tasting Prickly Pear Margarita, and finish the job.
Our 11 year old daughter is an even bigger fan of the ranch and its kids' program (and summer camp). She leaves the room at 7am, without an alarm, and spends the entire day with other happy children, leaving us parents to have a vacation of our own.
No TV in the rooms is a blessing because after a day in the saddle all you want to do is sleep.
When we came back from our latest trip to TVR our daughter asked, "Exactly how long until we go back?" When I replied, "Ten weeks." she let out a sad sigh. I felt the same way.
But the best part of TVR is the other guests. If you're on vacation and you're in a bad mood then shame on you. With community tables we have met the best people, many of whom we have stayed in touch with and seen outside of Tucson. At TVR, everyone is created equal. Nobody cares what you do for a living or who you are. We are all there to relax, ride, eat, drink lots of water and make life-long friends. So far, all those boxes have been checked off each and every time we've visited.
Shhhhh, don't tell your friends--we don't want it to be too crowded next time we go. ;-D

2 Thank LeisureLisa
GeoffreyFCampbell, Director of Operations at Tanque Verde Ranch, responded to this review, 20 September 2012
Thank you so much for making us your "home away from home!" It was great seeing you and your family again. It is really cool to see the relationships our guests and staff build at the Ranch. This place really is special to all of us. We love providing the experience you have described and always look forward to return visits. Usually the best indicator of maximizing the experience is as you said about no tv in the room, "a blessing." Well, I will see you folks again in 10 weeks or so. Ask Paige about some of the new products we have in the Spa. I think you will love them. I will make sure we have a prickly pear margarita waiting for you when you return! Thanks for writing!
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 September 2012

My wife and I had always fancied staying on a ranch in the USA and decided to take the chance. We researched a number of ranches in the Arizona area and eventually decided to try the Tanque Verde ranch. Within a day if our stay we realised that we had made the right choice!
The Tanque Verde caters for all age groups and has a wide range of activities and areas of interest.

Firstly the horse riding. My wife is an advanced rider and I am at best intermediate. However, we rode at least twice a day out on the many surrounding trails and sometimes into the beautiful national park adjacent to the ranch. We cannot speak highly enough of the wranglers, particularly Mike, Mark and Karen who were both fun and informative. Whilst on each ride we saw beautiful scenery and a whole host of wildlife.

The food at the ranch is both high quality and plentiful. Breakfast and lunch are mainly buffet style and there is such a great choice! Dinner was fantastic every night and Sean was our waiter for every meal. He was friendly and helpful and provided excellent customer service.

The Dog House Saloon is a great place to relax, eat popcorn, play pool and drink produce from local breweries and vineyards either before or after dinner (or both!!) The barmaids are so friendly and attentive. You can even sit on the balcony at the rear of the saloon and watch the sun go down over the ranch.

On our last evening, a Wednesday night, we attended the Cowboy Cookout at the Cottonwood Grove. This was possibly our best experience at the ranch as we sat at picnic tables eating wonderfully prepared food and listened to a local cowboy playing his guitar and singing country and western songs into the night. This was followed by line dancing lessons conducted by Nancy, probably the funniest part of the evening as most people tried and failed to keep up with Nancy, ending up doing 'their own thing' instead of the correct steps!

The rooms at the ranch are exellent and have everything you need for the stay. The beds are comfortable and clean and the bathrooms are spacious with beautiful toiletries provided.It was a bit of a culture shock to find that the rooms do not have TV's but we embraced this and it provided a complete break from the outside world for our five day stay. The views from the rooms are unbelievable and breathtaking across the acres and mountain ranges surrounding the ranch.

We arranged a day trip to Tombstone as part of our stay and we would like to say a big thank you to Steve for taking us to Tombstone and being extremely informative.

Finally, the Tanque Verde has an excellent little gift shop which contains ranch gifts and a selection of gifts made by local people such as soaps and jewellery. Again we found that Nancy (who works in the shop) was a very friendly lady and even helped us to attach straps to our hats before riding so that they wouldn't blow off!

If anybody is debating whether to go to the Tanque Verde ranch our answer is simple - BOOK & GO!! It is one of the best experiences we have ever had and we would love to return to the ranch.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jonathan F
GeoffreyFCampbell, Director of Operations at Tanque Verde Ranch, responded to this review, 13 September 2012
Thank you so much for such a prompt and glowing review! I look forward to sharing your feedback with Mike, Mark, Karen, both Nancy and Nancy, Sean, Steve and our Doghouse Saloon folks! I am very happy that you were able to experience so many of the wonderful experiences we offer. I am sure with such a tight schedule of activities you did not miss the TV one bit when you retired each evening! I hope to see you again soon and thank you for choosing Tanque Verde Ranch!
Liverpool
Reviewed 9 September 2012

what a fantastic holiday , from the moment we got there to the moment we left the staff couldnt have been any friendlier from juan on reception, tims friendly service, lisa at the dog house ,mike, mark and karen (wranglers) they all made the whole holiday a memorable experience my daughter kayleigh rode every day from nice gentle walks in the mountains to going for a lope with mike or mark,we even tried to round up some cattle ,we enjoyed every part of the ranch from the swimming pool to the great food and outdoor barbeque i cant praise the ranch enough very well organised but we felt so at home with the staff and horses , after being at the ranch for a week we then went on to miami for a week but we should have stayed at the ranch for the 2 weeks . we will defenitley go back soon.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
GeoffreyFCampbell, Director of Operations at Tanque Verde Ranch, responded to this review, 10 September 2012
We are happy that we are Kayleigh's favorite place! I will pass your kind comments to Juan, Tim, Mike, Lisa, Mark and Karen. I agree you should have stayed an extra week! We cannot wait to see you again soon. Thank you for staying with us and sharing your feedback with us!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2012

This place offers something for everyone, even those not interested in horse riding. The activities range from sedate fishing, and sunbathing to mountain biking and exhilarating loping rides. The horses are well cared for and in the main very predictable and steady mounts. The casita rooms whilst further away from the dining room and corale are definitely the best choice. Sunrise over the desert is awesome.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
GeoffreyFCampbell, Director of Operations at Tanque Verde Ranch, responded to this review, 27 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review! It sounds like you had ample time to try many of the exciting programs we have to offer. It is one of our goals to ensure EVERYONE has a great time on the Ranch, even those that are not into the riding program. We consider our horses part of the team, so they get great perks! Thank you again for staying with us and I cannot wait to see you again soon.
Lincs
Reviewed 26 August 2012

This was a new type of holiday for my family of 3! Away from the usual sun, sea and sand we wanted something different and special and we got it!!!! August is a hot time of year to go but also a quieter time and that was perfect. What I really appreciated was even thought the ranch wasn't full nothing changed - nothing gets cancelled. We still sat by the pool one evening and watched the Lone Ranger on the big screen - such a funny night :-). Although my 14 year old daughter rides and I had as a child my husband had never been on a horse! This was irrelevent as the wranglers are so used to every type of rider (een very nervous ones) and are amazing. They had a great sense of humour (even understanding our British humour) and showed a deep care and love for the horses. We stayed for 10 days which was perfect as it gave us time to get into the riding and enjoy it. Taking a stunning ride to the outoor breakfast twice a week was wonderful. We also went fishing, mountain bike riding and hiking. The ranch has such a relaxed and friendly atmosphere and there is something for everyone if they want it and a wonderful pool for those times you just want to lay out and bake:-) We had a great room with views overlooking the mountains - blissful! The food was fantastic - my 14 year old daughter still keeps talking about the amazing steaks and desserts and I keep looking at my expanded waist line :-) For the first time ever we found a holiday that suited all 3 of us and for the first time ever have all said we will be back! We met super people at the communal tables which were a great option and had fun in the Saloon with them in the evening. Lisa, who ran the saloon was hilarious! All the staff were friendly, informative and great fun. Sitting outside the nature centre watching those gorgeous little humming birds was beautiful and I started to recognise them on the rides. I laughed so much at the 'baby' rattle snakes in the centre :-) I could go on and on and on about this place as it far exceeded our expectations! We expected to hire a car for a few days once there and go off to places (we did it once and went to Tombstone, which was brilliant) but found we didn't want to miss out by leaving the Ranch. Thank you to all at the ranch for providing my family with such a superb memory :-)

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
GeoffreyFCampbell, Director of Operations at Tanque Verde Ranch, responded to this review, 3 September 2012
It is our pleasure to provide you with such a "superb" memory! Thank you so much for writing about your experience. Lisa is always providing entertainment in the Dog House. I will be sure to pass along your compliments. Our Wranglers are the best in the industry, they have wonderful memories likewise and share their stories about the guests with me. There really is nothing like relaxing and watching nature come at you in all directions. One of my most fond places is sitting in that very bench watching the humming birds gather in numbers and go on and about their business as if you are not even there. In the bird ramada on the nature trail, if you shut down the smart phone, tune out the distractions of the busy world out there, you notice a change. Rattlesnakes slowly inch past you and coil in their "snake puddles" waiting in the pre dusk cool desert air for dinner. Often times on the way to the Cottonwoods BBQ, you can spot them if you know where to look and are patient. The birds forget you are sitting there under the ramada and start communicating as they gather their seeds and prepare for the aromatic nightfall of the beautiful and enchanting Sonoran Desert experience. I am glad you love this place. We love it too. And; we love our horses, just as you mentioned. We enjoy watching the sunsets with them and sharing the guest experience with them too. Thank you for staying with us and we will see you next time!
Matlock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2012

My son and I stayed here for a week in August. We had one of the most enjoyable holidays ever. My son went to the kids club every day and had the same pony to ride every day. The counsellors were excellent and he did a variety of activities including arts and crafts, learning how to lasso and fishing. As a single mum it was nice to have a communal dining table so that I had other people to talk to at meal times. The food was excellent and the staff always helpful.
Our room was spacious and comfortable although the bathroom was a little tired.
The wildlife was a real surprise and the excellent and knowledgeable staff in the nature centre helped immensely with our appreciation. The only thing I would say is there needs to be a larger TV in the nature centre to show the informative videos.
The riding was fantastic and all the wranglers were amazing, they really made the experience more enjoyable if possible. I particularly enjoyed the team penning and seeing coyotes during the ride was a bonus. I have left with memories that will last a lifetime.
We were so sad to leave but will be back for certain next year, I think for longer than a week this time.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
GeoffreyFCampbell, Director of Operations at Tanque Verde Ranch, responded to this review, 23 August 2012
I am so glad you both had a great time! The wildlife is amazing and there is always something new to see everytime. We agree about many of our bathrooms. We are in the process of remodeling them with more modern features and lighting. I am sure you will love them when you visit again. We too are sad to see you go but look forward to seeing you next time! Thank you for staying with us and writing about your experience.