“Wonderful weekday brunch”
Review of Tanque Verde Ranch

Tanque Verde Ranch
Ranked #28 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

We just drove out for the brunch and to take pictures and see the ranch. The brunch was very tasty. Being a vegetarian I was afraid I wouldn't find a lot to eat. But no, they had a wonderful salad bar. Tried their Ceasar Salad, loved it. Also the fresh beet salad. There where so many different salads that I fell in love with, all very flavorful with great variety of herbs and dressings. For the main course they had a fresh squash ravioli in a cream sauce with mushrooms. My husband enjoyed the chicken dish and the tri tip. There was also a lovely desert bar. Would love to go back again when in Tucson. The ranch grounds where beautiful and they where preparing for a wedding in the garden. Cute gift shop. Amazing corral of horses and lots of antiques to view all around the grounds. Lunch was a little pricey but we'll worth it. Met guest there from all around the world. I am so glad we went out for the day hope to go back and actually stay at the ranch on our next visit.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank goldrushgal

Reviewed 31 October 2013

Tanque Verde Ranch was a wonderful experience for my business group's annual retreat. I also noticed what a great venue it is for families, considering they have separate and fully supervised chidrens' activities for a good portion of each day. This gave parents an opportunity to ride and experience other activities that their kids might not have been able to keep up with.

Everyone I encountered at TVR was fantastic - professional, kind, friendly - and I was extremely impressed with how many of the wranglers remembered my name after just a day ....

Dean was great at picking out a great horses for me throughout the weekend, and getting me situated. His kind and helpful demeanor was a great start to each ride!

Andy, David, Johnathan and Maddie each led great rides that I participated in (intermediate, sunset, loping, lope test, breakfast, walking), and offered very helpful coaching to help me improve my technique so that I could comfortably participate in the advanced rides. I can pinpoint a tip I received from each of them that enhanced my experience over the weekend, and also my riding technique now that I'm back home. Maddie even removed a Cholla cactus from my shoulder with an expert swipe of her pocket knife - didn't hurt a bit!

The front desk, restaurant, and cleaning staff I encountered were also very pleasant and friendly, and the resort itself didn't lack any elements in my view. The food was good, with healthy options as well for those watching their diet.

I am looking forward to visiting the TVR again in 2014 for a family reunion, and hopefully on a continued basis going forward.

Thank you to everyone at TVR, I miss you guys! Theresa

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Theresa L
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Tanque Verde Ranch is a special place. My family - which includes a 5 year old and 7 year old son - were thrilled with our experience. The staff is exceptional and rather than going to Disney to eat elephant ears and wait in lines we were able to gain life skills and experiences. As an example, my youngest son rode horses for the first time and my oldest son caught his first fish. Since the kids are so happy, the wife and I were able to catch some down time together which is worth its wait in gold. We will be back next year and hope to make this an annual family tradition.

Room Tip: Stay near the main lodge.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank indyboy6061
Reviewed 25 October 2013

I will be celebrating my 26th year at Tanque Verde this thanksgiving, and I couldn't be more excited!!!! TVR is more than a vacation destination, it's a second home! My whole family has been coming for 25+ years, and it's always a truly special trip. The scenery around the hotel is picture perfect EVERYWHERE you turn, from the tennis courts to the horseback riding. The sunsets still take my breath away even after all of these years. We have gotten to know the staff over the years and adore everyone. There are tons of fun activities for all ages, mostly outdoors which is the best part! Bingo shouldn't be missed, it's a lot of fun. I hope TVR stays around for a long time, I can't wait to bring my kids here!

Room Tip: The Casitas on Road Runner Ridge have an outstanding unobstructed view of the desert. Truly magical...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Claire C
Reviewed 16 October 2013

If you treat TVR as a hotel then the score would be 3 but as a complete experience it will always be a 5, I’ll briefly explain the bad points. The rooms are a bit dated, I know some would call them ’rustic’ but you can be ’rustic’ without being dated. I have no problem with no TV but why leave the aerial points in? Then there is a digital radio thing that doesn’t work and a radio alarm clock which doesn’t get the best reception. The good points is they have fridges and are no effort to get to with good lighting at night.
The food is plentiful and 1st class, however if there is an outside event on the property space gets tight at lunch time and you may have no choice but to share a table whether you want to or not, not a good experience as a paying customer. On plus side if you get peckish in the afternoon there are pastries and cookies available near the dining room along with really nice hot coffee and fruit juice.
The Dogwood Saloon is well run and Lisa is welcoming warm and chatty. What would be great and a good income generator for the ranch would be for a daytime or afternoon bar service for the pool and very welcome for the guests (you could even do ice cream, again at extra cost). It would be nice rather than the jewellery sellers to have a western outfitter visit, however mist evenings something is happening.
Get on a horse as soon as you get there, the wranglers give you basic instruction when you 1st get on and are excellent at matching horses to people, although sometimes it did feel like the last person to be picked for a school sports team! I never had a bad ride and wish we’d had time for the 4 hour mountain ride on the last day. Don’t forget you can get a fridge magnet of your favourite horse from the shop (something we only found out by accident whilst chatting to the sales clerk).
Whatever you do don’t miss the desert hyke on your 1st morning you’ll get a real idea about what you’re riding by and what to look for. Also, do not leave without having a go at the fishing it is brilliant, you don’t have to handle the fish if you don’t want to but the lake is well stocked with blue fin, bass & catfish.
My best piece of advice here is make the most of your time because as you drive out you will want to return.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sjc462
Reviewed 29 September 2013

From the moment we arrived and received our bear hug from the lovely Juan we had an amazing time. Everyone we met was so friendly and we would especially like to mention Jewel, Brianne, Desiree, David, Kelly and easy on the eye Shane for all being helpful and making our holiday truly memorable. Our Casita was breath-taking, the horses incredible and the food good but could be more choice for us vegetarians.
We are two middle-aged sisters who wanted to have a cowgirl experience and we were not disappointed even though the daily riding took its toll on our ageing bodies, many a morning we woke up walking like John Wayne and we desperately needed the fabulous pool, daily, to take away our aches and pains. In the evening after dining we always retired to the 'Doghouse Saloon' to sample the local Margarita's.
Breakfast ride should not be missed and have a go at the fast draw gun shooting down at the Cottonwood Grove (ask for Buckshot!). Twice weekly cook-outs are a must and on Saturdays Jewels line dancing was great fun.
Would love to return in the future and would highly recommend this holiday to everyone.
Debbie & Penny

Room Tip: Casitas are spacious and well worth an upgrade if possible.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I used to visit Tanque Verde Ranch with my family when I was teenager, and only have the best memories of our vacations! Fast-forward 30 years, and I returned to the Ranch with three of my best girlfriends for an extended weekend. Our Casita was perfect, with tons of space to settle in with all of our stuff. We had an incredible time horseback riding, relaxing, mountain biking, eating and hanging out at the fabulous Dog House with Bree, our wonderful bartender! We decided to visit again next year, and to bring all of our kids and significant others along.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends