“Fantastic again.......A Family holiday to repeat and repeat”
Review of Tanque Verde Ranch

Tanque Verde Ranch
Ranked #29 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Our third visit. My first review. This is an exceptional place for a family interested in a ranch holiday where some are keen riders and some are not. Hiking and mountain biking in the desert or fishing offer distractions for those less interested in horsing around the desert . A pool, gym spa and sports courts fill your time for relaxation. But most will ride....or be coerced by their family to participate !!! and riding lessons are included. American family plan food is good hearty fare without intention to be haute cuisine and if you avoid high season, it is both good value and quiet enough to be a personalised experience. We will be back again next year....and probably year upon year after that.

Room Tip: Hacienda Suites are worth the extra
1  Thank RJaga
There are newer reviews for Tanque Verde Ranch

Reviewed 7 November 2013

We spent three days at the Ranch for our niece's wedding. All I can say was everything was perfect. My brother-in-law arranged for a king suite that we shared. In addition to the king bedroom, the main room had two queen sized Murphy beds, and they were actually comfortable! The bathroom was enormous - I think four people could fit in the shower! We didn't try the jacuzzi tub - although it was tempting. Anyone who has been to Tucson knows that the views, especially when you are in the foothills of any of the mountains, are SPECTACULAR. This ranch did not disappoint. They have everything you need at the ranch, so once you are there you really do not have to leave the property. They have a restaurant which has good, home-cooked food. There is a spa, indoor and outdoor pools, gym and, of course, a host of outdoor activities - like horseback riding, trails, fishing, etc.

Let me tell you about the wedding. It was superb! The ceremony was outside on one of the patios. The cocktail hour was held on the main lawn and the margaritas were just the thing to cool you off! They have an indoor catering room which can hold up to 110 comfortably. I think there were about 140 guests, so the dance floor ended up a little smaller, but we were not uncomfortable in any way. Dinner was buffet-style and there was something for everyone - even the kids.

The wait staff for the wedding - as well as the staff everywhere on the ranch - were cheerful, attentive, and very helpful. I can't say enough about how great the staff is!!!

Our room was booked at the "B&B" (bed and breakfast) rate which entitled us to breakfast in the restaurant. They have an "all inclusive" rate which covers more and, I think, is well worth it. Look into that. Check out their website for the schedule of activities. You can do as much or as little as you please.

We are planning to get the whole family back there again for a reunion. I can't wait!

Room Tip: The rooms are in something like 2-5 room units. All the ones I saw were great.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 November 2013

We have just returned from an unforgettable week at Tanque Verde.

Rooms - Stayed in a Hacienda Suite, room 21 which was spacious and well furnished. If you want a modern luxury type hotel this is not the place to come. It is a ranch, rooms are in the traditional western old fashioned style as they should be. Beds are comfy.

Staff - Friendly helpful staff in every area.

Food - Good and plenty to eat. Loved the breakfast and the bacon was perfect. Breakfast ride with those bluberry pancakes was wonderful.

Riding - You have to pass the lope test before going on the loping rides (cantering for the English). The lope rides were then great fun. Several of the horses are real dobbins for the complete beginner but you soon learnt which ones not to get on and the wranglers soon got to know your riding ability and were able to match you up with a suitable horse. There was 3 hrs in total of lope rides a day when we stayed plus an intermediate trotting ride in the afternoon. Plus several walk rides suitable for all levels of riding ability. Team penning was great fun.
Thanks to the wranglers Maddy, Dave and Andy specially for making sure we got the right horses and making the experience so fab.

Kids Club - My 7 year old loved the kids club and never wanted to be away from it.

Met lots of lovely people and loads of repeat guests who have been coming for years. It is unique and like nowhere we have ever stayed but the whole family loved it, even the non horsey husband.

Other activities included tennis, walking, mountain biking, nature place.

My only tiny suggestions for improvements were that the shower flow was so weak it was hard to wash hair and getting the right temperature was difficult and it was a noisy air conditioning unit. Possibly more variety in the evening menu. Another daily lope ride and an adult funkana would have been brilliant.

Thanks again to everyone at Tanque Verde for making our holiday so great.

1  Thank family70
Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

We just drove out for the brunch and to take pictures and see the ranch. The brunch was very tasty. Being a vegetarian I was afraid I wouldn't find a lot to eat. But no, they had a wonderful salad bar. Tried their Ceasar Salad, loved it. Also the fresh beet salad. There where so many different salads that I fell in love with, all very flavorful with great variety of herbs and dressings. For the main course they had a fresh squash ravioli in a cream sauce with mushrooms. My husband enjoyed the chicken dish and the tri tip. There was also a lovely desert bar. Would love to go back again when in Tucson. The ranch grounds where beautiful and they where preparing for a wedding in the garden. Cute gift shop. Amazing corral of horses and lots of antiques to view all around the grounds. Lunch was a little pricey but we'll worth it. Met guest there from all around the world. I am so glad we went out for the day hope to go back and actually stay at the ranch on our next visit.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank goldrushgal
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Tanque Verde Ranch was a wonderful experience for my business group's annual retreat. I also noticed what a great venue it is for families, considering they have separate and fully supervised chidrens' activities for a good portion of each day. This gave parents an opportunity to ride and experience other activities that their kids might not have been able to keep up with.

Everyone I encountered at TVR was fantastic - professional, kind, friendly - and I was extremely impressed with how many of the wranglers remembered my name after just a day ....

Dean was great at picking out a great horses for me throughout the weekend, and getting me situated. His kind and helpful demeanor was a great start to each ride!

Andy, David, Johnathan and Maddie each led great rides that I participated in (intermediate, sunset, loping, lope test, breakfast, walking), and offered very helpful coaching to help me improve my technique so that I could comfortably participate in the advanced rides. I can pinpoint a tip I received from each of them that enhanced my experience over the weekend, and also my riding technique now that I'm back home. Maddie even removed a Cholla cactus from my shoulder with an expert swipe of her pocket knife - didn't hurt a bit!

The front desk, restaurant, and cleaning staff I encountered were also very pleasant and friendly, and the resort itself didn't lack any elements in my view. The food was good, with healthy options as well for those watching their diet.

I am looking forward to visiting the TVR again in 2014 for a family reunion, and hopefully on a continued basis going forward.

Thank you to everyone at TVR, I miss you guys! Theresa

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Theresa L
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Tanque Verde Ranch is a special place. My family - which includes a 5 year old and 7 year old son - were thrilled with our experience. The staff is exceptional and rather than going to Disney to eat elephant ears and wait in lines we were able to gain life skills and experiences. As an example, my youngest son rode horses for the first time and my oldest son caught his first fish. Since the kids are so happy, the wife and I were able to catch some down time together which is worth its wait in gold. We will be back next year and hope to make this an annual family tradition.

Room Tip: Stay near the main lodge.
1  Thank indyboy6061
Reviewed 25 October 2013

I will be celebrating my 26th year at Tanque Verde this thanksgiving, and I couldn't be more excited!!!! TVR is more than a vacation destination, it's a second home! My whole family has been coming for 25+ years, and it's always a truly special trip. The scenery around the hotel is picture perfect EVERYWHERE you turn, from the tennis courts to the horseback riding. The sunsets still take my breath away even after all of these years. We have gotten to know the staff over the years and adore everyone. There are tons of fun activities for all ages, mostly outdoors which is the best part! Bingo shouldn't be missed, it's a lot of fun. I hope TVR stays around for a long time, I can't wait to bring my kids here!

Room Tip: The Casitas on Road Runner Ridge have an outstanding unobstructed view of the desert. Truly magical...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family