“It's a ranch, Dude!”
Review of Tanque Verde Ranch

Tanque Verde Ranch
Ranked #29 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Let me start by saying that my wife and I LOVED the ranch very much. Everything was wonderful. Our Casita was nice, the staff were excellent and the food was tasty and plentiful.

I am not a horse rider, but my wife is. For our 27th wedding anniversary we spent 5 nights at Tanque Verde. Even though riding is not my thing, the lessons were useful, the rides were enjoyable and exciting. The mountain ride was especially challenging and you finish with a sense of accomplishment. We cannot think of a single thing we didn't like. The fellow guests were wonderful and came from many walks of life. We spent many hours telling stories with our new friends. Of course, you will find the occasional poser, with the fancy outfits and designer western wear, but they were few and far between.

Before going to the ranch and again before writing this, I reviewed all the negative reviews. It's funny how people can view the same place differently. If you do your research ahead of time, then most of the bad reviews could have been avoided.

First of all, this is a RANCH. Not so much a resort or hotel. If no one in your group like horses, don't go there. The scenery is Arizona. Desert like with hills, sand and cacti. Very different from Ohio, with gorgeous sunrises and sunsets. There is no TV in the rooms. GOOD. Getting away from the screaming commercials for a few days is a good thing. If you MUST sit brain dead in front of the TV, there is one in the main lodge. I saw it on a couple times, but no one was watching it. If you do half the activities they offer here, you will be asleep by 10pm anyway. We didn't try the spa, but it looked nice. All the facilities we used were great. Pool, hot tub, Tennis, Pickleball, Volleyball and Horse Shoes.
The food way very good. The BBQ was great, and the picnic style breakfast and lunch were also excellent. If you don't like eating great food outside in gorgeous weather with nice people, maybe you should stick to the happy meal in front of your tv.

Tanque Verde is not for everyone. Read the reviews. Get a feel for what they have there. Call them and ask questions.

We had a wonderful time, and no matter how tired and sore I was every night, I looked forward to the next days activities. We hope to return to Tanque Verde next year.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Zebedee-Original
There are newer reviews for Tanque Verde Ranch

Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

Tanque Verde Guest Ranch (TVGR) Is a place out of a John Wayne movie. The grounds are well kept and the staff is exceptionally friendly. We arrived not knowing what to expect and were pleasantly surprised. Whether horse back riding or hiking is your pleasure, TVGR will not disappoint! Oh...did I mention great food... In selection, taste and quantity. We will visit again- next time longer

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I hate to give this ranch a 4 star rating when I had a 5 star stay but I have to drop it down a star for the horses. I am a veterinarian and addressed some issues with the ranch staff and they did seem genuinely concerned. They are in the process of making some improvements soon and I hope next year I can give them the 5 star rating they deserve. Don't get me wrong, the horses are well taken care of but some situations need to be be improved to get us to 2014 standards.
I stayed for 4 days in late Jan with 4 friends and the ranch was at low capacity yet all activities were still available. The food was magnificent and there were many healthy options available at every meal.
The riding is varied and despite the lope test requirement, I felt this was a necessary evil for everyones safety. If you do not pass, then a lesson is the best bargain at the ranch and the wranglers were very knowledgeable about western riding. Everyone should do some of the horsemanship lessons that are all included in the price of your stay. I went on a different horse almost every ride and they were all very well trained.
I can not comment on the spa but heard it is very good.
Lisa makes some great drinks at the saloon every night.
Overall this is an excellent ranch with friendly staff, excellent food,clean rooms and a fantastic setting. I have been to many ranches so I can make a fair comparison. I was here years ago with my family and 4 kids and we all had great time then too.
I am looking forward to seeing the improvements for the horses next year.

Room Tip: We stayed in a Hacienda and the Murphy beds are great as they can be folded up in the day leaving yo...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Andrew_F_TVGR, General Manager at Tanque Verde Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Thanks for posting to Tripadvisor and for your related email regarding your stay and our horses. We are in the process of implementing some of your suggestions under the guidance of our vet that does a monthly check of the horses. Our horses are the tools of our trade so our goal is to continue to keep them happy and healthy.

Happy Trails and we look forward to seeing you next year.

Jim Bankson
GM

Reviewed 28 January 2014

My first trip to a dude ranch, had a great time.
Beautiful site with lots of activities, very goody food, super nice staff, great accommodations.

Have not been on a horse in 35 years but but the 3 rd day very comfortable and able to participate in all the horse activities.

Plenty to do all day long.
Variety of horses assures you will find your right ride.

Way too much food. Very tasty.

Cannot say enough about how helpful the staff are.

Big rooms, very nice

I

Room Tip: Make sure to get a room with a fireplace. Perfect on cool winter nights.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mike H
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Very pretty location on the edge of the national park. Horse riding available. Pretty, but fairly small poor. A real southwest ranch feel. Extremely overpriced lunch buffet. We didn't stay, but stopped in for lunch.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank SeamasterPro
Reviewed 13 January 2014

This Ranch has everything one would want ....Southwest ambience, great weather and fine food. After visiting there on a number occasions, it is one place I will always return to. Try it you'll like it. John 'd'

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank LeRoy9728
Reviewed 6 January 2014

This was our first vacation to a dude-ranch and although we already live in the Sonoran desert of Phoenix, we enjoyed the beautiful hills of Tucson and the property of Tanque Verde Ranch. The ranch offers many types of horse-back riding lessons and rides for all levels and ages, but also has an extensive amount of other activities you can participate in. Even though we only stayed for the weekend, we enjoyed mountain biking, hiking, tennis, sand volleyball, a night time family BBQ, and of course horse-back riding through the beautiful desert. Our highlights included a morning ride to breakfast out in the hills of the desert and the team penning challenge! No experience with horses is necessary for this family fun vacation. If you want a vacation that includes a fun and memorable cowboy experience , then dust off your boots and go enjoy Tanque Verde Ranch!

Room Tip: The hacienda's have incredible views of the valley and fireplaces in the rooms which is nice for...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family