“Exceeded our Expectations”
Review of Tanque Verde Ranch

Tanque Verde Ranch
Ranked #25 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed 15 March 2014

We visited Tanque Verde ranch with our thirteen year old son and another couple who had a thirteen year old daughter. It was spring break and we wanted to do something different. None of us had recent horseback riding experience but we were attracted by the variety of activities. After a colder than normal winter, we also looked forward to warmer weather. The ranch was at capacity and we had the smaller rooms. The room had two queen beds, table, comfortable chair, walk-in closet with small refrigerator and small bath. The room was in the Quail Hollow section which was a u shaped cluster of rooms with a lovely courtyard, fountain and lounge chairs which was unique among the other units. With no televisions and all the things to do don't get more room than you need because you won't be spending a lot of time there.

The food was wonderful. Well prepared and a nice variety. The Sunday lunch was exceptional with oysters on the half shell, shrimp and salmon along with hot entrees. The outdoor cookouts at the cottonwood were lots of fun and don't miss the breakfast ride even if you walk to the serving area.

I must commend the ranch on the quality of horses and the care taken to assess skill levels before permitting you to participate in trotting and loping. Even walking rides travelled rough trails that provided beautiful scenery and thrills. Each day you could choose a variety of riding activities, hiking, mountain biking or tennis. A nice pool, spa and fitness center were also available. Many learning opportunities about the area and wildlife were also offered. The wranglers and staff were friendly and helpful. We shared a special bond with Jake and Kathy as she was from Tennessee. Jake led several of our rides and was a great guide. Juan, the dining room supervisor, was pressed into transportation the day we arrived and his pleasant welcome set the tone for the entire stay. Our children loved the place and never missed television or video games. We can see why many guests are return customers.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Frank A

Reviewed 8 March 2014

Do not be fooled: this is not a ranch, this is a hotel and spa for people who want the illusion they went on a ranch. In other words there's horse back riding and they call it a 'ranch', They treat people like they're 6 year olds that need to be corralled. I really have a hard time being patronized sorry. If you are a rider you are going to hate this. If you know nothing about horses or riding or the cow-boy life you're going to love it and be lulled into thinking you were 'on a ranch'... it's perfect for people who just don't want the workout, just the impression of it.

Watered down experience ruined it. Sad. There's NOTHING genuine about this place.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank veroniquebb9
Reviewed 6 March 2014

We left in the snow and arrived to gorgeous 80 degree sunshine. Don picked us up at the airport and showed us the highlights of the Tucson area on the way to the ranch. Check in at the front desk provided us with everything we needed to know about the ranch. We were driven to our beautiful casita with a fireplace and a view of the Saguro National forest. That night there was a BBQ in the Cottonwood Grove. I was told the ribs were excellent but there were plenty of vegetarian choices too. Had my first prickly pear margarita, many more as the week progressed. There was a Western singer who took requests. As darkness fell the javelinas gathered, ready to clean up the area after all the people departed. We lit a fire and relaxed in two comfy leather chairs until we went to bed.

The next morning we rode to a pancake breakfast. Lunch was a buffet in the dining room. The choices changed daily, everything was fresh and there are plenty of healthy options. We took our first riding lesson that afternoon to get ready for our walk/trot ride the next day. Dinner is order off the menu, you can sit family style or have your own table. I was amazed to see mussels and clams as an entree; they were delicious. It was like a cruise, in a good way, the wonderful meals were the one constant in our day. We spent the evening with Lisa, the wonderful bartendar at the Dog Hose Saloon.

The next day we took a three hour hike with Janice through the desert. She kept a good pace, reminded us to stay hydrate, informed us about the flora and fauna and suggested the best angle to shoot our pictures. We ate a picnic lunch in the Cottonwood Grove, we rode, we ate (yellow fin tuna), we went to the bar. The previous evening I told Lisa that I enjoyed chasing my tequila with sangrita and to my amazement she had made some for me. Every evening she had a different version of sangrita for me to try. We were looking for the perfect recipe to add to the menu.

Even a rainy day is fun when you are at TVGR. I was able to take another lesson and another ride. By this time I was getting to know the wranglers and the horses. The wranglers are very hard working and really helped me improve my riding skills. I learned to lope, much more comfortable than trotting. My friend had a horse she really liked the previous day and was able to request it for her ride. Since the rain was coming down harder, my friend went to the spa( she said it was nice) while I sat in from of the fire and read a book. Great dinner, off to the bar. we have to leave tomorrow.

Phone call at 5 am, Dallas is iced-in, our connecting flight is cancelled. What to do? Call the front desk, can we stay another night? Of course, no problem- extraordinary customer service! Best ride of the trip through the gulleys that were swollen by the rains. Ate, rode, ate, bar; am I bored? No way, I'm ready to move there.

There are other things you could have done- tennis, pickle ball, volleyball, pools, hot tubs, photography hikes, bird watching hikes, lectures about the history of the ranch... but I was there to ride. And ride I did.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank 0106
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Let me start by saying that my wife and I LOVED the ranch very much. Everything was wonderful. Our Casita was nice, the staff were excellent and the food was tasty and plentiful.

I am not a horse rider, but my wife is. For our 27th wedding anniversary we spent 5 nights at Tanque Verde. Even though riding is not my thing, the lessons were useful, the rides were enjoyable and exciting. The mountain ride was especially challenging and you finish with a sense of accomplishment. We cannot think of a single thing we didn't like. The fellow guests were wonderful and came from many walks of life. We spent many hours telling stories with our new friends. Of course, you will find the occasional poser, with the fancy outfits and designer western wear, but they were few and far between.

Before going to the ranch and again before writing this, I reviewed all the negative reviews. It's funny how people can view the same place differently. If you do your research ahead of time, then most of the bad reviews could have been avoided.

First of all, this is a RANCH. Not so much a resort or hotel. If no one in your group like horses, don't go there. The scenery is Arizona. Desert like with hills, sand and cacti. Very different from Ohio, with gorgeous sunrises and sunsets. There is no TV in the rooms. GOOD. Getting away from the screaming commercials for a few days is a good thing. If you MUST sit brain dead in front of the TV, there is one in the main lodge. I saw it on a couple times, but no one was watching it. If you do half the activities they offer here, you will be asleep by 10pm anyway. We didn't try the spa, but it looked nice. All the facilities we used were great. Pool, hot tub, Tennis, Pickleball, Volleyball and Horse Shoes.
The food way very good. The BBQ was great, and the picnic style breakfast and lunch were also excellent. If you don't like eating great food outside in gorgeous weather with nice people, maybe you should stick to the happy meal in front of your tv.

Tanque Verde is not for everyone. Read the reviews. Get a feel for what they have there. Call them and ask questions.

We had a wonderful time, and no matter how tired and sore I was every night, I looked forward to the next days activities. We hope to return to Tanque Verde next year.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Zebedee-Original
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

Tanque Verde Guest Ranch (TVGR) Is a place out of a John Wayne movie. The grounds are well kept and the staff is exceptionally friendly. We arrived not knowing what to expect and were pleasantly surprised. Whether horse back riding or hiking is your pleasure, TVGR will not disappoint! Oh...did I mention great food... In selection, taste and quantity. We will visit again- next time longer

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I hate to give this ranch a 4 star rating when I had a 5 star stay but I have to drop it down a star for the horses. I am a veterinarian and addressed some issues with the ranch staff and they did seem genuinely concerned. They are in the process of making some improvements soon and I hope next year I can give them the 5 star rating they deserve. Don't get me wrong, the horses are well taken care of but some situations need to be be improved to get us to 2014 standards.
I stayed for 4 days in late Jan with 4 friends and the ranch was at low capacity yet all activities were still available. The food was magnificent and there were many healthy options available at every meal.
The riding is varied and despite the lope test requirement, I felt this was a necessary evil for everyones safety. If you do not pass, then a lesson is the best bargain at the ranch and the wranglers were very knowledgeable about western riding. Everyone should do some of the horsemanship lessons that are all included in the price of your stay. I went on a different horse almost every ride and they were all very well trained.
I can not comment on the spa but heard it is very good.
Lisa makes some great drinks at the saloon every night.
Overall this is an excellent ranch with friendly staff, excellent food,clean rooms and a fantastic setting. I have been to many ranches so I can make a fair comparison. I was here years ago with my family and 4 kids and we all had great time then too.
I am looking forward to seeing the improvements for the horses next year.

Room Tip: We stayed in a Hacienda and the Murphy beds are great as they can be folded up in the day leaving yo...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Andrew_F_TVGR, General Manager at Tanque Verde Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Thanks for posting to Tripadvisor and for your related email regarding your stay and our horses. We are in the process of implementing some of your suggestions under the guidance of our vet that does a monthly check of the horses. Our horses are the tools of our trade so our goal is to continue to keep them happy and healthy.

Happy Trails and we look forward to seeing you next year.

Jim Bankson
GM

Reviewed 28 January 2014

My first trip to a dude ranch, had a great time.
Beautiful site with lots of activities, very goody food, super nice staff, great accommodations.

Have not been on a horse in 35 years but but the 3 rd day very comfortable and able to participate in all the horse activities.

Plenty to do all day long.
Variety of horses assures you will find your right ride.

Way too much food. Very tasty.

Cannot say enough about how helpful the staff are.

Big rooms, very nice

I

Room Tip: Make sure to get a room with a fireplace. Perfect on cool winter nights.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple