If you want to ride faster than a walk, do not choose this guest ranch. I visited TVR on a girls getaway, we chose a guest ranch so that we could all ride together. I ride, lesson and compete on my own horse at home and was looking forward to sharing a riding experience with my girlfriends. We paid for the all inclusive package prior to arriving, and had discussed our riding schedule with the staff. We were not advised about the difficulty of the lope check at any time prior to arrival. I failed the first time and was made to take a lesson, which was ridiculous because I lesson weekly at home with a real trainer and the riding I do is at a much higher level and very fast paced. The reason I failed I was told is that I " don't know their horses." Who does upon arrival? At the lope check there was no warm up and no guidelines as to what they were looking for. My friends took lessons and repeated the experience 3 times. I watched them ride and finally on the last check the wrangler laid out the guidelines on friend passed and the other failed. While my girlfriends were lessoning I did go on a lope ride and it was not a big deal. I observed that there were others on the ride, who were at the same level as my friends who had not passed the lope check. The worst thing that happened, is that on our last day, one of the wranglers refused to let my friend ride the same horse she lessoned on, for the lope check, again she failed and never got to ride outside of the property. Besides the riding, the property is nice. We did enjoy the food, pool and massages. Lisa who bartends at the Saloon was kind and competent. Unfortunately, the poor experience with the riding overshadowed the positive aspects. I have vacationed at other guest ranches and Tanque Verde Ranch fails in comparison, from a horse rider's perspective.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tanque Verde Ranch Resort was named "Best Dude Ranch in Arizona" by Dude Republic in 2012, as well as a "Top Ten Family Resort" by the Travel Channel since 2007, and a "Top Five Ranch" by Conde Nast in 2008. Tanque Verde Ranch is one of America’s old time cattle and guest ranches. Located on 60,000 acres of Tucson’s most breathtaking desert landscapes, nestled amongst the Rincon Mountains and adjacent to Saguaro National Park and Coronado National Forest. Established in 1868, the superb guest ranch is recognized as the last luxurious outpost of the old west providing guests with plush accommodations, unparalleled amenities and a vast array of exciting activities such as horseback riding, mountain biking, fishing and hiking. La Sonora Spa is the perfect place for a bit of quiet relaxation, and the kids will love all the supervised children's programs! Don't hesitate – getaway at one of the premier, all-inclusive dude ranches in the country. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Agoda, Booking.com, Odigeo, Priceline, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Tanque Verde Ranch reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tanque Verde Ranch Hotel Tucson
- Tanque Verde Ranch Tucson, Arizona