“Great for families”
Review of Tanque Verde Ranch

Tanque Verde Ranch
Ranked #24 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We just returned from a three night stay at Tanque Verde Ranch. As we live in Phoenix it was an easy drive for a short stay. We were first time guests at Tanque Verde so I didn't know what to expect. We had previously spent time at a smaller dude ranch in Arizona and loved it. I enjoy riding but my wife doesn't so the various activities at Tanque Verde appealed to us.

My main issue with Tanque Verde is the number of guests. The ranch holds 250 guests at it's peak. The property is very expansive, with rooms scattered around the property. We stayed in a "salas" room with two queen beds, their lowest priced room (at $595 per night-all inclusive). The room was very clean and comfortable but it was dated, particularly the bathroom and the cabinetry. There is a difference between "rustic" and just old. The beds were comfortable but there was a lot of noise from the courtyard and the kids in the adjoining rooms. Which brings me to my next observation-this place would be terrific for families with kids, even younger kids. they offer a daily "Buckaroo camp" where kids are entertained all day while their parents ride or play tennis or whatever they feel like doing. The kids can join their parents on adult/kid rides and almost always join their parents for lunch. The activities for and attention to the children was impressive. We have no kids but what I observed was excellent care and attention by the kids counselors. Watching the kids learn to ride was fun, too.

The riding program is varied for beginners to experienced riders. There are rides from one hour to all day, walking to loping. This was one area I had a problem with, there are so many people riding it gets very crowded at the barn and on the trails. If you like solitude, this is not the place for you. The horses here are well cared for and healthy and vary in size from small "ponies" to their Percheron draft horses, beautiful, enormous and gentle beasts. I had a different horse for every ride, although you can request a specific horse for a ride, if it hasn't already gone out. The wranglers are very helpful , although sometimes a bit stern in their directions. I understand guest safety is important but a few of them could afford to lighten up a bit.

The ranch also has some very nice tennis courts, pickleball, volleyball, horseshoe and other activities. There are also hiking and mountain biking activities every day. My wife went on a hike and enjoyed it very much. There are also indoor and outdoor pools (both very nice) and a spa on site. I didn't use the spa services so I can't offer any comment on them.

The best part of Tanque Verde was the food . Three meals a day are included in the all inclusive room rate. The offerings at each meal are widely varied and very tasty. Dinner always had a beef, chicken, fish and vegetarian entrée. Even at the cookouts, fish or chicken was offered with the usual hamburgers and hot dogs. I can't say enough positive things about the food and the dining room/catering staff.

When I was checking out I asked about leaving a gratuity for all of the staff. The way it is done here is you can get cash from the front desk (added to your bill, if you like) then you are given envelopes to distribute the cash gratuities as you see fit (housekeeping, dining room staff, wranglers, or a specific employee if you so choose. A bit awkward, but much like some cruise lines.

Overall I recommend Tanque Verde. Although it not an small, intimate setting like some ranches, it is a terrific place for families with kids or groups like family reunions or friends who want to get together.

Room Tip: If you can afford it upgrade to a casita room, about $150 per night more than the basic room.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 April 2014

Tanque Verde ranch was on my friend's bucket list, so we checked it out for lunch. Not only was the lunch buffet very tasty, I would return for a full stay at the ranch with my daughter and anyone else that loves horses. There were more than 150 horses of all sizes and rider levels, with an incredible array of related activities. The setting was incredible, everything was well-maintained.

I'd recommend a reservation for lunch. As of this writing, the lunch buffet ended at 1:30pm (the dessert buffet remained until everyone left the lunch room.

1  Thank Jannaqq
Reviewed 28 March 2014

We spend 4 nights here and we had a great time. The kids program is absolutely fantastic and the adult program is also great. The food they are serving is very healthy and a lot of choice during the whole day. The horses riding trips are worth every second and if you are really lucky your ranger will tell you a lot about the surroundings.
Why not a five star rating because the rooms are a bit tired and they need an upgrade.
We will come back next year.

1  Thank Reeijm
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We just spent three days at the Tanque Verde Ranch. We had never had a ranch experience before and this was a good place to do that. The staff was very nice and helpful. The room was adequate. The food was excellent. The scenery was beautiful. The horse riding experience was better than expected,although a couple of the wranglers need as good people skills as they have horse skills. Overall, it really was a fun experience for something different to do.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We had so much fun at the Tanque Verde Ranch and would recommend it to anyone. We did not get the all-inclusive and ended up using the camp for one day and taking a morning horseback ride. The pool is the perfect size and not crowded, even though the ranch was full. Amazing meals, as well! Our room (34) was set up a bit strangely with a queen and twin in the main sitting room and a double in a separate room. As a result, one kid had to sleep away from everyone else. Would make more sense to have an adult room and a kid room.

Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

My family and friends recently spent spring break at this "dude ranch". There isn't enough space to accurately depict how much fun and excitement we experienced. I am not a horse person, till now ! Absolutely spectacular. Beyond all expectations !! Highly recommend.

Food was awesome and we left there wanting more ! A must for family vacation. No TV in the rooms, but it isn't missed. Way to much to do to even notice.

Staff was very accommodating and eager in every area of the ranch. The rides were awesome, even for a novice like myself.

We are already planning our return !!

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Onewood13
Reviewed 16 March 2014

If you want to ride faster than a walk, do not choose this guest ranch. I visited TVR on a girls getaway, we chose a guest ranch so that we could all ride together. I ride, lesson and compete on my own horse at home and was looking forward to sharing a riding experience with my girlfriends. We paid for the all inclusive package prior to arriving, and had discussed our riding schedule with the staff. We were not advised about the difficulty of the lope check at any time prior to arrival. I failed the first time and was made to take a lesson, which was ridiculous because I lesson weekly at home with a real trainer and the riding I do is at a much higher level and very fast paced. The reason I failed I was told is that I " don't know their horses." Who does upon arrival? At the lope check there was no warm up and no guidelines as to what they were looking for. My friends took lessons and repeated the experience 3 times. I watched them ride and finally on the last check the wrangler laid out the guidelines on friend passed and the other failed. While my girlfriends were lessoning I did go on a lope ride and it was not a big deal. I observed that there were others on the ride, who were at the same level as my friends who had not passed the lope check. The worst thing that happened, is that on our last day, one of the wranglers refused to let my friend ride the same horse she lessoned on, for the lope check, again she failed and never got to ride outside of the property. Besides the riding, the property is nice. We did enjoy the food, pool and massages. Lisa who bartends at the Saloon was kind and competent. Unfortunately, the poor experience with the riding overshadowed the positive aspects. I have vacationed at other guest ranches and Tanque Verde Ranch fails in comparison, from a horse rider's perspective.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends