“Hotel Stay for Wedding Celebration”
Review of Tanque Verde Ranch

Tanque Verde Ranch
Ranked #30 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
Chandler, Arizona
“Hotel Stay for Wedding Celebration”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Stayed here two nights for our friends daughter wedding ceremony. I am a 30 year desert dweller and the location, next to Saguaro National Park at the base of the Rincon Mountains, is nothing short of spectacular. Room 25 on top of hill had incredible views, wildlife abounds, birds, wild turkeys, etc.

Check in for us was major problem as reservation was inexplicably changed to a lesser room. Took over two hours to sort this all out. Andrew Fine, Operation Mgr. got it all resolved but took alot of negotiating on my part.

This is not a luxe resort and food was mediocre. You are isolated from any other places to try as ranch is over 10 miles from anything else. This is a dude ranch of sorts. Meaning horses rule. I am not a horse person. Kids will love this place and is geared for families too. I would not consider this an adult romantic getaway type of place.

Also this is a small resort. Only 65 rooms. That is neither bad nor good. Crowds are not a problem here.

Room Tip: Ask for room 25 or any others in that building. You won't be disappointed by views and is quiet...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Rick D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Let me start by saying that I won a trip to the ranch from Live with Kelly and Michael last year, 7 days/6 nights. I took my husband for a nice getaway. We do not ride horses or really do not enjoy them so I really cannot review of the actual rides, lessons, etc. But, I will say if you like that, this is your place to go! Not many things to do besides riding horses. The staff is very friendly and helpful. They were very encouraging of signing up for the next days activities, which is really only riding and dinner reservations. It was very hot when we were there, a couple days was 100 degrees in the afternoon. Upon arrival, they provided us with a box lunch for dinner because we arrived late. Dinner is only from 6-8 pm, either in the dining room or at The cottonwood grove for a BBQ. The food was good but I would not consider it exquisite. Breakfast is from 8-9:30 am only and had nice choices or buffet, same thing everyday except for the breakfast ride, which we did not do. Lunch was from noon-1:30 pm not great choices, I would've rather seen little sandwiches, salads, fruit rather than entrees on the buffet. These are the only times you can eat, very scheduled, no room service. There are no restaurants close by so if you do not have a car to venture off the ranch, do not miss a meal. The Doghouse saloon is only open after 4 pm and stays open until last guest leaves. Has a pool table and some outdoor seating, no food except popcorn. Drink prices are reasonable but it was nice to go to Walgreens and buy our own beer, wine, water and sit on our patio to enjoy the scenery. It's important you drink water. We are from the East Coast and it was really hot and dry there. The only activity we participated in was fishing. They have a little lake with fish that is catch and release, was fun to catch one and throw it back in but, again, it was very hot. They have tennis courts but we did not have proper footwear so did not even play. So as far as enjoyment goes, if you do not like or ride horses, this is not the place for you. Our room was nice, kind of like a suite. I would not consider this to be a luxury resort, as they state. Alot of the furniture on fixtures, to me, were outdated and old rather than rustic. We did have a single serve coffee pot and a fridge which the housekeeping staff always stocked us with coffee. Always has fresh towels, and little amenities (shampoo, lotion, conditioner, soap) Biggest disappointment was no TV, not in the bedroom or living room. We did see one in the lounge by the dining room, we missed that. During the hot hours of 2-5 pm or after 11 pm, a little TV would've been nice. There is wi-fi so you can watch movies and access internet from your room. We stayed in room #18. We encountered a bit of a bat problem in the roof of our patio the first day we were there. Big mess at our doorstep and super loud and noisy. This was promptly taken care of as soon as it was brought to their attention. Our patio was nice except for the blasting spotlights from the building below us. It was nice to sit out after sunset to watch the nighthawks fly around and check out the beautiful night sky but had the light blasting in our eyes. I would recommend a motion light rather than a constant bright light. The scenery is 99% southwestern. The grounds by the office building are well kept but, the higher you go on the property, I noticed, they are neglected. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Arranged for us to rent a car and took a road trip to Tombstone one day. And we were able to just return keys to the front desk. The do have a nice outdoor pool. Wasn't very clean, a lot of flies and debris in it but had access to the skimmer that you can skim it yourself. Only a few people ever used the pool when we were there, not sure where everyone was in the afternoon, which was nice but, there was no bar or snacks available. So you have to bring your own. I did like the remote location and it was very quiet and relaxing. We made memories of something we would never have chosen to do. It was a very nice stay to get away from the cold, gray weather we have this time of year and after a long tough winter, it was nice to enjoy the heat and sunshine. I am thankful we were able to experience a Ranch vacation but, is something I would not do again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Formytwogirls
San Tan Valley, AZ
Reviewed 17 May 2014

We stayed here for 2 days, and wished we had stayed longer. There were about 50 rooms, ours has 2 queen size beds, kiva fireplace and had a truly western feel. There were no TV in the rooms, which were not missed, as there is so much to do. There are BBQ dinners 2 nights per week, with fabulous selection of food and way too much to eat. We took the breakfast horse ride, which was an unforgettable experience, over somewhat rocky terrain, surrounded by cactus brush, followed by a breakfast of pancakes, sausage, bacon, eggs juices etc. again no shortage of food.
Apart from the wonderful experience, the nor thing which stood out was the customer service and friendly, polite helpful staff, from the wranglers to the front desk.
Would recommend this to anyone who wants a western experience.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank AZTraveller03
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 14 May 2014

There is something hard to describe about Tanque Verde. It's just a very unique way to spend a vacation.

Family feeling: We felt like we instantly knew the staff and they knew us. The front desk, the activities coordinator, the dining staff, bar staff, and of course the wranglers. Some staff switch roles day to day so you see them in surprising places! On top of that, you immediately get to know the other guests and make quick friendships. Over meals, everyone swaps stories about the horse they road, the snake they saw, etc, etc. I was worried the place would be filled with families with kids but, on the contrary, it was mostly couples, friend groups, and single people. All ages and nationalities.

Grounds: Every view is stunning and surreal. It was sunny every minute. We saw wild life, swam in the pool, drank margaritas. I loved it.

Food: Everything I ate was delicious and I loved the built-in meal plan. Did I mention the margaritas?

Riding: For me, the switch to western was a big challenge but you cannot beat the riding opportunities. TV Ranch takes safety and horse care very seriously and that was important to me. They can work with experienced riders or brand newbies. I was impressed with the incredible patience and care the staff spent on a horse-phobic guest. I was sure she'd give up but they gently persisted and it was a big success. We had some great trail rides while there.

The Room: I loved our room which was really more like a cabin. We were the last unit on the last row and the view was stunning. The room has floor to ceiling windows and a large patio. We sat out a few nights to watch the sunset and I will never forget the beauty, quiet, and peace of those moments. I feel obligated to add that we had a ton of moths in our room which were really annoying BUT we recognized it is the desert and cannot be helped. I sympathized with the staff that seem to be fighting a losing battle against them.

Other activities: My husband did mountain biking which ended up being a solo outing and a great time for him. We also did 2 nature talks and one in-house shopping night with local artists. All were great.

Cost: The sticker shock for this vacation was the hardest part but it was our honeymoon and I was determined that we have a really special southwest experience. In retrospect, considering that our every need was met and exceeded, I feel like the money was very well spent.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Reviewed 28 April 2014

From the moment that we were enthusiastically greeted at the airport by Jeff until we were dropped off at the airport for our return flight home, our vacation at TVR was practically perfect. The location of the ranch is amazing, and the staff (being extremely knowledgeable about the history of the ranch and the Sonoran Desert) gave us lots of interesting information about the local area. The Sonoran Desert is absolutely beautiful, and I would never have dreamed that a desert could be so green! Everything at the ranch was very well organized, and there were activities that interested all of us. The best part was that we could do things on our own or together as a family, and everybody was happy at the end of the day. Being a beginner horse rider, I really appreciated the patience of the wranglers at the ranch. The lessons were great and by the end of the trip, I was really getting the hang of it. Andy was a terrific guide and took us on some great rides in the desert. He helped us with tips on how to ride the horses, and he made the rides really interesting and fun. The mountain bike rides were equally fun, and Tim was awesome on the trails. We loved the hikes, the tennis clinic, the evening barbecue (complete with Wild West performer Loop Rawlins) and the list goes on. There is no way anybody can complain about the food at TVR, because there is something for everyone, and plenty of it. The meals were top notch. I especially enjoyed Mexican night, but really every meal was great. Shane in the Dog House Saloon was great, and we looked forward to relaxing and chatting with him at the end of our busy days. Also had a great massage at the spa on our last day there. I didn't know what to expect, but TVR definitely exceeded my expectations. We all want to come back for another stay. I miss it already!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Cindy D
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We just spent four days at Tanque Verde Ranch in Tucson (two adults and a 7-year-old girl) and had a wonderful time.

I'm not entirely sure what makes something a "dude ranch", but TVR is its own place and feels authentic for what it is. It's not a working ranch/farm, but located just outside Tucson it is devoted to riding and relaxation.

If you've never been to the "living desert" around Tucson, the environment is stunning, with saguaro cactus rising high, dry heat during the day, and cool nights. Horseback riding through the area is really an amazing way to see the terrain.

The staff were friendly and relaxed in a way that made it easy to do whatever was going on. Food was mostly served buffet style and was plentiful and always well made. The meat and southwestern dishes were usually excellent. Our room was clean, spacious, and felt appropriately decorated for the desert.

Other than horseback riding, there was a small pool and tennis courts that we enjoyed. We went fishing one afternoon. Hikes and mountain biking were offered, but we never got the chance.

Lots of horseback riding lessons were offered for various levels. We went on an "intermediate" ride where we trotted for extensive stretches through the desert. It was a surprising amount of time spent trotting compared to other rides I've been on elsewhere. If you want to "lope" (canter, if you're used to riding English...), you have to pass the dreaded (judging from other posts here) lope test. If you're going to be riding at speed weaving on trails through cactus you probably want to be competent, however. I passed the lope test and am not that great a rider, so the bar isn't really that high. However, I didn't get a chance to go on a loping ride.

The intermediate lesson gives you a chance to practice loping, which is good experience even if you aren't ready for a loping ride.

The kids program (divided into 3 age levels) was also heavily focused on horseback riding. Our daughter had never really ridden before and just loved this.

In addition to lessons and rides, there were other horseback activities including a sort of mini rodeo and a competition to pen cattle. We went on a walking ride with our daughter to an outdoor breakfast one of the mornings (they offer this twice per week) and had great pancakes prepared on an outdoor griddle.

Other guests were friendly and fun to talk to, ride with, and get to know. At meals you could eat alone if a small table was available or sit at a larger table with other guests. This latter option was a great way for everyone in our family to get to know other at the ranch. There were a moderate number of guests at TVR while we were there, but you could walk around almost anytime of day and feel like the place was almost empty because of its size and the number of people off doing activities.

We've been to Rocking Horse Ranch in NY twice (also reviewed by me on TA), and the places are very different. RHR is a dude-ranch-themed resort, and while there's lots of riding there is essentially no instruction. Riding at RHR seems like a duller and yet more stressful experience. At TVR, the wranglers were much more relaxed about everything while still keeping a watchful eye on the riders. The food at TVR is much better than RHR and, like everything at TVR, feels authentic in a way that RHR does not. RHR makes for a fun vacation. There's nothing similar to the waterslides, rock walls, etc. that were just wonderful for kids at RHR, but TVR feels like you've gone someplace real.

Flying in from the east coast, we really only had three full days of activities at TVR despite staying there for four nights. This was too short, and when we go again (which I'm pretty sure we will), we'll need to schedule things to get at least one, and perhaps two more full days.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
United States
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

We recently spent 5 days at TVR. It was a lovely experience for our family and we plan to return. The service was stellar and the staff was so accommodating. The kids camp was fabulous and our kids loved it. This place does attract some high maintenance guests and I was disappointed to hear some of the complaining. The BBQ and hikes were favorites after the horse riding. Thank you!

Stayed April 2014