My husband and I started going to Tanque Verde 6 years ago. We loved it so much we thought we would make it an annual tradition. Two years ago my daughter turned 4 years old and she was able to come with us too. We have been there twice with her so far. It is always a fight to get her to leave for the airport the last day; she wants to live there. We are anxiously awaiting the day when my younger daughter is of age, also, to join the kids program.
This is why we love Tanque Verde: Although it is expensive upfront, it is worth every penny. (You will barely spend any money once you get there, except for beer and the beloved pricklypear Margaritas!) The spa is also an additional charge for a massage, but that extra charge is expected. No matter if you are an elite athlete or someone who likes to take a leisurely stroll after breakfast, this place has something for you. From 4 to 84, you'll love it - just get involved. The staff treats you like family. Bob and Rita always welcomed us back. And Tom is a kick to hang out with. No wonder the resort has something like a 70% return rate for guests. We have even met families who have been returning for 50 years. For those who have complained about the rooms -- I will have to argue that they are very clean. You must expect a "RUSTIC" theme, hence "DUDE RANCH" - not a modernized Ritz Carlton in a Meca-City. We love that there are no TVs in the rooms. The staff wants you participating in the activities anyway. We live in suburban Chicago, so vacation to us is something different than home, and that is what you get on a guest ranch in Arizona in the mountains. The food is outstanding. I wish I could say that I go on this 'active-vacation' to lose weight, but they keep you full, very full. And if you are wondering if you'll be living on canned Baked Beans all week because that is what you picture what cowboys eat, how does steak & lobster sound? A 10 foot long dessert table for every lunch and dinner?
A note about the kids program, they keep them busy busy busy. They will ride twice a day, along with tennis lessons, hiking, crafts, nature programs, and campfire games. The kids even have their own "NO grown-ups allowed" dining room. As a parent, you can choose to ride with the kids, or do the adults only rides. It's nice to spend the day with your child and see what they are experiencing, but having some alone mom and dad time is a bonus too! This resort is great for families or childless couples (the kids are seperated most of the time). And we like that there is no additional charge for the kids program, like most other resorts that charge $50 for half day programs and $99 for full-day.
Things not to miss here: All-Day ride into the mountains, breakfast ride into the mountains where Bob flips the pancacks himself, Tom's Cow Penning competition, chuck-wagon dinner ride, morning mountain hike or sunset hike with Virginia, mountain biking at Fantasy island, basically don't skip up this vacation because you read one bad review on tripadvisor.
Although, the bad economy has forced us to skip a year at Tanque Verde, we will most definitely be back!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tanque Verde Ranch Resort was named "Best Dude Ranch in Arizona" by Dude Republic in 2012, as well as a "Top Ten Family Resort" by the Travel Channel since 2007, and a "Top Five Ranch" by Conde Nast in 2008. Tanque Verde Ranch is one of America’s old time cattle and guest ranches. Located on 60,000 acres of Tucson’s most breathtaking desert landscapes, nestled amongst the Rincon Mountains and adjacent to Saguaro National Park and Coronado National Forest. Established in 1868, the superb guest ranch is recognized as the last luxurious outpost of the old west providing guests with plush accommodations, unparalleled amenities and a vast array of exciting activities such as horseback riding, mountain biking, fishing and hiking. La Sonora Spa is the perfect place for a bit of quiet relaxation, and the kids will love all the supervised children's programs! Don't hesitate – getaway at one of the premier, all-inclusive dude ranches in the country. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Visit Barbados, Booking.com, Evoline ltd, Splitty, Travel Republic (UK), HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Tanque Verde Ranch reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tanque Verde Ranch Hotel Tucson
- Tanque Verde Ranch Tucson, Arizona