“Sad we had to miss it this year”
Review of Tanque Verde Ranch

Tanque Verde Ranch
Ranked #24 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed 21 May 2009

My husband and I started going to Tanque Verde 6 years ago. We loved it so much we thought we would make it an annual tradition. Two years ago my daughter turned 4 years old and she was able to come with us too. We have been there twice with her so far. It is always a fight to get her to leave for the airport the last day; she wants to live there. We are anxiously awaiting the day when my younger daughter is of age, also, to join the kids program.
This is why we love Tanque Verde: Although it is expensive upfront, it is worth every penny. (You will barely spend any money once you get there, except for beer and the beloved pricklypear Margaritas!) The spa is also an additional charge for a massage, but that extra charge is expected. No matter if you are an elite athlete or someone who likes to take a leisurely stroll after breakfast, this place has something for you. From 4 to 84, you'll love it - just get involved. The staff treats you like family. Bob and Rita always welcomed us back. And Tom is a kick to hang out with. No wonder the resort has something like a 70% return rate for guests. We have even met families who have been returning for 50 years. For those who have complained about the rooms -- I will have to argue that they are very clean. You must expect a "RUSTIC" theme, hence "DUDE RANCH" - not a modernized Ritz Carlton in a Meca-City. We love that there are no TVs in the rooms. The staff wants you participating in the activities anyway. We live in suburban Chicago, so vacation to us is something different than home, and that is what you get on a guest ranch in Arizona in the mountains. The food is outstanding. I wish I could say that I go on this 'active-vacation' to lose weight, but they keep you full, very full. And if you are wondering if you'll be living on canned Baked Beans all week because that is what you picture what cowboys eat, how does steak & lobster sound? A 10 foot long dessert table for every lunch and dinner?
A note about the kids program, they keep them busy busy busy. They will ride twice a day, along with tennis lessons, hiking, crafts, nature programs, and campfire games. The kids even have their own "NO grown-ups allowed" dining room. As a parent, you can choose to ride with the kids, or do the adults only rides. It's nice to spend the day with your child and see what they are experiencing, but having some alone mom and dad time is a bonus too! This resort is great for families or childless couples (the kids are seperated most of the time). And we like that there is no additional charge for the kids program, like most other resorts that charge $50 for half day programs and $99 for full-day.
Things not to miss here: All-Day ride into the mountains, breakfast ride into the mountains where Bob flips the pancacks himself, Tom's Cow Penning competition, chuck-wagon dinner ride, morning mountain hike or sunset hike with Virginia, mountain biking at Fantasy island, basically don't skip up this vacation because you read one bad review on tripadvisor.
Although, the bad economy has forced us to skip a year at Tanque Verde, we will most definitely be back!!!

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family

Reviewed 18 May 2009

We've been going to Tanque Verde over 10 years. We started going there on a family reunion. My parents, my two brothers and their families, and my family -- 15 people. When we started going, the youngest kids were five or six - the kids have a great time in the kids' program. It's great for family reunions, but my wife and I went alone in February and had a great time without the kids, too. The food is great and plentiful, the rooms are cozy, there are many, many fun activities. Being all inclusive makes it very easy for a big group. I love the breakfast rides: getting up early, riding in the beautiful desert in the morning (the place is surrounded by a national park), up to the top of a hill where there's breakfast waiting -- wonderful blueberry pancakes cooked personally by the owner. All the riding is great, whether it's walking rides or loping rides. I read a bad review here from someone complaining about the test they give before you can go loping. How stupid would they be not to make sure you can safely lope before letting you loose on a horse! They have great lessons. Even though my wife is a great rider, she always takes and enjoys the lessons. At night, there are cook-outs with a singing cowboy and interesting presentations on various subjects. My favorite is the "horse whisperer." The tennis pro is very smart and one of the nicest people you could ever hope to meet -- my game always improves. Also, I loved the bird-watching hike -- the guy knows everything and I saw amazing birds. Delicious hot tub, fun bar to have a drink before dinner. The most relaxing and fun vacation ever. I can't wait to go back next year.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 May 2009

dar sirs. tanqueverde ranch is the best ranch vacation in the southwest. from the first time my husband and i went to the tanqueverde ranch we fell in love with the ranch we are going back this september. this will be oiur 8th tme we are going there from the moment you arrive you are treated like you are part of the family, there are new things to do every time we go. it allways iimproving and the food is also excellent. it will take no time at for you to fell like my husband and i feel. when you go to tanqueverde ranch it is like coming home. thank you. yours truly. kathleen and ronald madonia

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 May 2009

I have lived in Tucson, Phoenix, Pinetop, Glendale,and Mesa for 50 years and I never heard of Tanque Verde Ranch untill we stayed there for 2 nights. Our trip was amazing. The scenery was breath taking whether you were on a horse or the porch. The Staff was very friendly. The horseback lessons and rides were exciding to say the least. We saw all kinds of animals and reptiles on our trail rides. The food was excellent and this is where I found out what an Arnold Palmer was. It is still my favorite drink. This is a Dude Ranch not the Boulder's Resort. It does not have TV's in the rooms for a reason. For the price we paid I would give it four out of five stars and would stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2006, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 May 2009

we went as a group 4 adults and 4 children. the kids facilities are excellent the children came home confident and more relaxed around horses.
we went on the b.b.q cookout at cottonwood grove and the breakfast ride to the homestead both were just as we had imagined and better.
the ranch is very well kept the staff were so friendly and helpful the kids were very safe and loved their new found independence, they enjoyed all the activities including the funkana which they all won ribbons. the food has a wide choice with something for everyone and was very well presented. the breakfast and lunch had so much choice and was delicious.
the horse are very well kept. you could choose your ride or take pot luck but we always enjoyed the rides on any horse we had.
we hired a car and went to tombstone it was brilliant!! we went to a gunfight at the OK Coral. had lunch at big nose kates (we were dressed up by the staff and had our photo`s taken it was hilarious and such good fun). it was like going back to the old days when you watch the western films.
there was so much going on for both adults and kids!
we have travelled all over the world and can honestly say this is our best holiday ever. it was casual, relaxed and so much fun i could just go on and on!!
we will definately be going back again as the kids havent stopped talking about it and we all had such a good time.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank kerry097
Reviewed 5 May 2009

We originally had a trip planned for Cancun for the first week of May 2009, but due to the swine flu scare, we had to cancel the trip and find another vacation, but quick! We had been to Tanque Verde for our first wedding anniversary in 2006, and we still recall our trip fondly. So we decided to make a last-minute trip there. I am writing this review at Tanque Verde as I type this! I called the ranch and the reservations manager Kelly O'Brien was super super nice. She was able to book us a really nice suite with a returning-guest discount (awesome!) Most of the guests here return yearly. I can see why! The riding options are varied: you can take lessons and rides all included in the price of your stay. Besides horseback riding (all levels) you can also do the following: mountain biking (all levels), fishing, hiking, get a massage, swim in the two pools, take a water color painting class, learn how to groom a horse,
and of course, eat! The food is amazing! Hot breakfast made to order, plus fresh fruit and juice buffet. Lunch buffet every day, with dinner a la carte every evening. The menu is astounding! Prime rib, swordfish, grilled salmon, pastas, soups, salads, and of course
the desserts are not to be missed! There is also an outdoor barbecue cook out a few times a week. All meals and snacks are included in your stay, which makes Tanque Verde a great value. The guest ages range from the very young to the elderly. I saw huge corporate events come here, as well as large family reunions. Even if the ranch is busy, we never felt rushed or had to wait in line for anything. My husband wishes that were were enough hours in the day to sign up for everything. I am not an outdoors person at all and yet I found Tanque Verde an amazing place to stay...you can relax and do as little as you want. I recommend going when it is not too hot. When we have kids we will definitely bring them here. We will definitely return to Tanque Verde!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 April 2009

Tanque Verde has a reputation for being the finest ranch in Arizona - but we found it really disappointing. The first room we were shown was dirty and tired. The second room was at least clean but still fairly tired. There was no particular service orientation - we struggled with all the bags etc ourselves. The food was really, really bad - we couldn't eat dinner or breakfast. It's a real shame as it is a lovely location and there is amazing wildlife in the area. The wranglers seemed good and we had an enjoyable ride but everything else was really grim. If this is Arizona's best----- we'll have to go to another state next time!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple