“Avoid Spring Break weeks at all cost!”
Review of Tanque Verde Ranch

Tanque Verde Ranch
Ranked #26 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed 15 April 2010

Not the best ranch experience in comparison to others we have enjoyed. Don't expect service during spring break week - far too crowded. If you or your children under 11 are experienced riders, expect a hassle as they will not test kids prior to a lesson. Lessons contained as many as 15-20 kids. We were excited about the breakfast ride - great pancakes, btw - but you could barely call it a ride. 20 min with a line on 25 of us...stop and go. Other rides were much better and I was later warned that returning guests don't even consider the bfast ride a 'ride."
Wranglers great overall. Kids club lacked organization....approx 70 kids the week we were there and 30min+ just to load the kids on horses....a mess!
Food average....hope you like buffets.
Ranch needs to spiffing up in comparison to others at the same cost.
Beautiful area - great riding (when you finally got on the trail - but would not consider returning on one of their busy weeks - needs organization and management.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank giddyupp
TanqueVerde, General Manager at Tanque Verde Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2010

Thanks for your input on our kids program. We are revamping our childrens schedule, and also enhancing our riding space for the kids so our childrens program is always very enjoyable and organized, even during the peak weeks. As a Top Ten Family Resort for the past 3 years, we place a high priority on the quality of our children's program, and can assure you the changes we are making will be noticeable improvements in our kids program for those peak weeks. Thanks again for your comments!

There are newer reviews for Tanque Verde Ranch

Reviewed 11 April 2010

We had an excellent vacation. My young girls horseback rode for hours each day. That allowed my wife and I to enjoy the hiking department. Wonderful guides in Rich and Virginia and Ron. Great mountain biking as well. The setting could not be more beautiful. You are tucked away in the mountains and it is just gorgeous. The pool was warm and inviting as was the jacuzzi.

If you go, go for the family adventures and activities. Do not go for the food. Breakfast was great but after that the food was very average. They LOVE cream sauces and cream soups. Most people loved the food, but if you are a vegetarian or healthy eater, you will be eating a lot of salad. Great deserts. Sparkling water, pop and beer and other drinks other than water and lemonade are extra. Bottled water is extra. They put out nice smoothies at 5:00 for the kids, but they are extra too.

Wi-fi is only available in the lodge and bar area and pool area. This did not bother us at all. No TV's other than one in the dining building. The only frustrating thing was trying to watch the Masters but some adults wanted to watch reruns of CSI. We did not mind no TV's in the rooms.

This is a true adventure vacation. We found a rattlesnake on our porch and a taranchala near by. This didn't bother us and just reminded us we were totally in nature. You have to feel like a cowboy/cowgirl. No help carrying bags to rooms either. Also the "spa" is a misnomer as well. No real spa here. No spa food either. small work out room and I never saw a massage therapist or other "spa" type activity going on.

We may be back as we spent a ton of time doing our own thing while the kids were very happy.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family

We are glad your kids had such a great time! That is one of our primary goals, to offer a vacation where families really connect, but also have the opportunity to enjoy any of our wide variety of activities on their own or with their significant other. Glad you enjoyed your vacation. Thanks for the feedback!

Reviewed 3 April 2010

My horse riding wife had a great time. I spent time with other activities. The water coloring activity was overbooked, but the instructor made space. I'd recommend this to anyone wanting to spend more time with their children and/or spouse.

No WiFi in the rooms. These days, many, many folks work virtually, and the WiFi is a necessity. The various hot spots are generally crowded with electrical outlets. This alone would keep me from returning.

Unexpected charges on bill. At checkout, we were charged $99 for the service fee. This is noted on the "Reservations" page, but not in the email confirmations, so we missed this. HIgher end facilities should include all expenses in their quotes and confirmations. Fee unbundling should be unnecessary.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank John M

Thanks so much for your input, and we agree wholeheartedly. We are in the process of making wireless available in all our rooms. This is an important amenity and one that our guests have requested. We do not have an exact timeline at this point, but it is one of our top priorities and we have already started the process in motion. Thanks for coming to visit and we hope to see yo in the future!

Reviewed 23 March 2010

My family voted this "the best vacation ever" and have decided to cancel a Disney trip to return to the ranch. My kids are 5 and 11 and they both loved the kids activities. My husband enjoyed biking and riding and best of all were the variety of activities. The food and service were great. All around excellent family vacation!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank creedAz
Reviewed 14 March 2010

The most important things you need to know about TVR are: the service is personalized and incredible, the activities and the location are spectacular, and the staff welcomes you in like old friends.

I traveled alone to the ranch during my spring break to do some hiking, riding and thinking. It was my second trip; I had been with my entire family as a teenager about 15 years ago. I knew that I wouldn't be lonely or bored during the day because of the activities, but I did worry a bit about evenings and mealtimes. I was amazed at how easy it was to join a table; other guests generally asked what my plans were and invited me to sit with them. The entire staff went out of their way to make sure I was having a great time and were able to accommodate all of my requests. The food, which is included, was better than most all inclusives and exceeded my expectations. The rooms are a bit small, but I was only ever in mine to sleep.

I had an incredible time riding. Until you're out in Tucson riding with the desert and the mountains around you, you haven't been riding. I consider myself an intermediate rider and the wranglers, particularly Jonathan, had great pointers to help me improve. Because it was a bit slow at the ranch, the rides and the lessons were very personalized. One tip, where suntan lotion no matter what time of the year. My nose and the tops of my hands (from holding reigns) got burned even in early March.

I cannot even begin to tell you how great the service was, from the wranglers, to the wait staff, to Virginia who led the hikes and Rich who taught me how to fish. I even had lunch with Bob, who owns TVR, several times and you couldn't meet a nicer guy. People return year after year to this place and are welcomed back like family, even as a stranger I was included in everything that went on.

Despite the fact that it was on the pricier end for me, I don't believe there is anywhere else I could have an experience like this and I will be back. Thanks for helping me relax before my comprehensive exams...I just finished!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 February 2010

Pure serenity! If you want to see the beauty of the United States - this is the place to be. Majestic, exciting, fun, i can't say enough good things about Tanque Verde Ranch. Took my grandchildren, after arriving back home they said "okay, when can we go again? Next week??? The whole family loved it! Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 January 2010

Visiting Tanque Verde Ranch is a vacation that everyone needs to experience at least once in their life. However, I guarantee that you won't be able to go just once. Before you leave, you'll start planning for your next visit. Members of my family have been vacationing at TVR since the 70's. This was personally my 3rd time there. Boredom will not cross your mind the entire time you're there. There is so much to do. I pretty much stick to all the horse activities, but my family has biked, swam, played tennis, painted, gotten massages, hiked, gone to various non-horse related demonstrations and have thoroughly enjoyed each and every activity. My perspective is one of an experienced horse enthusiast. I train horses back at home. People at the barn laugh at me when I tell them I'm going to a horse ranch for vacation. They wonder how someone who rides horses every day would want to pay to go ride more horses. If they came to TVR they'd understand. For those of you who are experienced riders, I promise you that you won't be bored. The Wranglers do a fantastic job matching horses to riders' skill levels. Even my 84 year old Grandma gets out on a ride with one of their most trustworthy, laid-back horses and a Wrangler by her side. Because I typically ride horses in an arena, I thoroughly enjoy getting out and loping through endless trails and washes through the beautiful dessert/mountain scenery. The Wranglers are extremely knowledgeable and friendly. They will teach you whatever you want to learn, from basic horsemanship to more advanced maneuvers. Steve, the Program Director, is hard at work bringing more clinics and learning opportunities to the ranch. While there I saw a training demonstration put on by Lanny Leach, who is a highly accomplished NFR champion, owns and runs his own training facility in Tuscon, and has won awards participating in the Extreme Mustang Makeover. I was able to bring back with me some techniques that I will incorporate into my training program. More than anything, it's a way for me to enjoy my passion, horses, in a relaxing, beautiful atmosphere surrounded by knowledgeable horsemen ... and woman (Laurie :-) ). It's truly an all around wonderful experience, from breakfast at the homestead, to riding up and down mountains and trails that seem to go on forever, to team penning, barrel racing, and horse training demonstrations, to dinner under the stars while listening to live country music, and ending the night with dancing the two step and swing. The staff bends over backwards to accommodate you and make sure your stay is one that exceeds your expectations. The worst part of it all is leaving! A special thank you to Jonathan, Nate, Laurie, and Steve for making our vacation the best it could possibly be! You are friends that we will hold near and dear to our hearts and look forward to seeing you next December, if not sooner. Sincerely, Megan and the rest of the Wisconsin Cheeseheads!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
TanqueVerde, Program director at Tanque Verde Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2010

It's always great to see old friends check in. This year was really good because you brought food with you. I hope to be ask back as a cheese judge again next year. Don't forget the honey mustard. If all goes as planned we should have an obstacle course in by your next visit. Have a great day, see you in the near future. Steve