“Wife's 50th Birthday”

Ranked #32 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
San Francisco, California
“Wife's 50th Birthday”
Reviewed 24 January 2011

My wife, and 5 of her friends spent a long weekend at Tanque Verde the end of January 11. They had an absolutely great time. They said the staff was wonderful. The weather, pool, food, horse back riding, etc. were all great.

Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Quincy, Massachusetts
Reviewed 29 December 2010

Each fall my friend and I spend our vacation at the Tanque Verde Ranch - for the past 15 years. Some families have been vacationing at the ranch for generations. We have made many friends who also come back every year and meet new friends during each visit. The staff have become like family. Tanque Verde is the only vacation resort that I keep going back to. The food is fantastic and plentiful, the dessert table at lunch is to die for. The breakfast rides and cowboy cookouts are wonderful.
The wranglers are patient and helpful. There are dozens of trails on or adjoining the ranch and the wranglers seem to know them all. The horses are well-trained and well cared-for so that even a city kid like me manages quite well. There are alot of other activities, tennis, fishing etc. but my vacation consists of eating, riding, eating again and the afternoon by the pool. The theme is total relaxation.
Of course, a couple of cocktails after dinner at the Dog House caps off the night. It's more of an early to bed/early to rise kind of vacation but, who really wants to arrive at a corral in the desert with a hangover? Not a good idea.
I've never brought a child, but I've watched many families with kids every year. Some kids seem shy and clingy at first but witlhin a day they are so busy with their new friends and the staff that they barely have time for the parents. It's fun to watch the kids gain confidence in their riding abilities - they all seem to enjoy the activities.
Just writing this review reminds me how much I miss everyone at the Tanque Verde and how I look forward to my next trip - See you there!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
TanqueVerde, General Manager at Tanque Verde Ranch, responded to this review, 31 December 2010
Thanks for your note! It is great seeing you both each year as well, it is a fun group during that time in November, and it makes for a fun week with all of you here! Speaking of our kids program, I did want to mention that the promised changes to our kids program are proving to be very effective. We have a new age groups, lower counselor to child ratios, a brand new schedule with new and improved activities, and fun, engaging counselors that are showing the kids a terrific time! Parent feedback has been very positive, and the beauty of it all is parents know their kids are having a superb time, and they can get some quality time to themselves if they wish! It is a win-win for everyone, and what makes us such an appealing familiy vacation.
Eden prairie MN
Reviewed 4 December 2010

Tanque Verde Ranch is probably THE BEST vacation you will ever have!! I have yet to have a better, more fun experience. I have been going to TVR for about eight years now, and love it so much!!! I go with my cousin, grandparents, mom, and aunt and uncle. Eight years may seem like long-ish time to have gone there. My grandparents have been going there for over 25 years!! They first started by going alone to see if TVR was any good. They then invited my sister (and other family members) to start going with them. My sister went for about 13 years!! She is now 20. I also just got back from camp in august for ten days at TVR. IT WAS INCREDIBLE!! Anyway, back to the review. Here is a basic day at TVR for me:
-Get up at 7:00
-Go down and eat an amazing breakfast
-Ride for an hour or two
-Have an amazing lunch
-Go on either a lope ride or trail ride or lesson on horseback
-Go SWIMMING
-Have a break, get ready for dinner
-HAVE WONDERFUL DINNER!!

At TVR there is and outdoor pool, kid pool, and hottub. Indoors there is one pool, a hottub, and a sauna. There is also a spa (which i have never visited). There is a huge dining hall, AWESOME staff members, some of the best food, and of course TRULY WONDERFUL riding experiences!!! This is a dream vacation for the whole family!!!!! I CANNOT TELL YOU HOW INSANELY AWESOME this ranch is!!! THANK YOU TVGR FOR BEING SO OUTSTANDING :) !!!!!!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank IheartTVR
TanqueVerde, General Manager at Tanque Verde Ranch, responded to this review, 13 December 2010
Thank you so much for your positive words and your incredible enthusiasm for Tanque Verde! The thing that makes it so special for our whole team is getting to form relationships with people such as yourself! The relationships we form are more like friends and family than a business, which makes working here so much fun and has caused so many of our team to stay working here for so long. I can't believe I have been here for almost 20 years already, and quite a few of our managers have been here that long as well! Hope to see you again soon! By the way, it is 80 degrees here today, December 13, 2010!!
Thanks Again,
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 14 October 2010

I wasn't there in Nov '09 but it made me pick some date. I just wanted to let people know how wonderful this place is.....
I have been going to TV ever couple of years since I was 7. That's 30 years of wonderful memories. This place has been a part of my family for so long it feels like going home everytime I visit. The visits have tapered off somewhat since I became an adult and had to pay for myself! But never the less, I am in the middle of talikng my husband into trying it out next summer. I love this place. Good food and good times!

• Stayed November 2009
TanqueVerde, General Manager at Tanque Verde Ranch, responded to this review, 16 October 2010
Thanks for your nice comments, we always love seeing our past guests again, we do consider you all family! And also wanted to ask you to call us directly when you are ready to reserve, as our new rates are available over the phone, they are effective for reservations after December 1, 2010. They are reduced by up to 35% and do not have any service charge added to the rate! Thanks again for your comments!
London
Reviewed 8 October 2010

The ranch was reccomended by our tour operator in the UK: Ranch America. We chose it because it offerred a combination of activities, relaxation and good food. They chose very well is all I can say! We arrived at Tuscon Airport tired after 16 hours of travel and Larry (Tanque Verde's special brand of driver) was already there waiting for us resplendent in his cowboy hat. This was a sign of things to come! On arrival at the ranch we were immediately taken to our accomodation which was spacious and comfortable. We booked what I guess was a standard room but this place was a suite with 2 very comfortable Queen beds, a separate living area and a large bathroom. The room was spacious with plenty of storage space and plenty of coat hangers, even an iron and ironing board. There was a good selection of toiletries in the bathroom, including the obligatory sunscreen (its 100+ degrees in Arizona). A filter coffee machine with fresh coffee sachets was also provided which came in handy when getting up for those early morning rides. All the toiletries and the coffee supplies were replenished daily as needed. All in all everything a gal needs to feel comfortable in the middle of the desert. I am a novice rider but got up every morning at 6:30 for the early morning ride. The wranglers were great and gave you a horse to match your ability. I never felt afraid or that my horse was out of control. These horses are well looked after and well trained. The rides through the mountains were wonderful and highly memorable. Incidentally you don't have to ride in the early morning but most people preferred it as it was much cooler. Besides then you has the breakfasts to ride back for! The food at this ranch is really good and the service provided by the staff in the restaurant is first rate. Those Buckwheat pancakes with lashings of butter and syrup and numerous bowls of fresh berries were delicious. The breakfast ride with breakfast in the open air was a true highlight as was the team penning (great fun).
I found myself going for a walk each afternoon to see if I could spot wildlife once I knew what to look for, courtesy of Rick who runs the nature center, it became a challenge to see which birds I could spot.
As for the spa it was ok, this is the one area that could use a little work.I like to have a sauna at the end of a day and the sauna was switched off. I had a desert cure treatment there which was just ok. The massage part of the treatment was very good so I would suggest you book a couple of massages instead and forget the scrubs and wraps. Small thing and it did not detract from a great holiday.
I would like to return to Tanque Verde, I will not be alone as there are many repeat visitors there which make the whole experience a very warm and friendly envoiroment to relax in. One other thing: I didn't think it was expensive at all I thought it was really good value!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank holidayqueen36
Glasgow
Reviewed 23 September 2010

We booked a week at this ranch as "something different" and it certainly was! The room was excellent - very large with a separate lounge area and an enormous picture window that gave an uninterupted view of the Sonoran Desert. Very effective and not too noisy AC as well - almost a shame there was so much to do that we only slept there! Although it was in the desert, the ranch made sure we had everything we needed, and didn't exploit the fact that we were so far from shops etc. Coffee, chilled water or lemonade always on tap and we were never allowed to go hungry. that set us up well for the activities. We're both non-riders but the wranglers were brilliant with us. Very patient and by the end of the week we felt like bona fide cowboys. Early morning rides in the mountains were unforgattable and the team penning was the funniest thing I've ever done. I'd say go and have a go at everything. they look after you well and although you feel like you're having a big adventure, the staff are very diligent about everybody's safety. Evening entertainment was a bit mxed but there was a really diverse range of guests so I'd reckon there was something for everyone on at least some of the nights. The barbecue nights were particualrly good but even if you didn't fancy the entertainment there's always the doghouse saloon, which is never dull with one of the ranch's biggest assests, namely Lisa who is the most effervecent barmaid I have ever met.

Wildlife was surprisingly abundant and the nature expert (Rick) could always identify the critters in our photos - birds, mammals, reptiles, insects - even plants - nothing stumped him.

I can't think of anytyhing I didn't like and I'd go back in a flash. Expensive but worth every penny!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
TanqueVerde, General Manager at Tanque Verde Ranch, responded to this review, 28 September 2010
Thanks so much for your feedback! Glad you enjoyed your stay, and will pass on your compliments to Rick, Lisa and the rest of our team! We all laugh about team penning, because it sounds like a college football game with everyone whooping and hollering in the arena as they chase those cows around! Hope to see you again!
Surrey, UK
Reviewed 19 September 2010

Stayed at TVR in Aug with wife and son - been on a horse twice before - Tucson itself looks unexciting and though the ranch is not that far away (which is good as it means getting there doesn't take a massice chunk out of your holiday - sorry - vacation) it's nestled in a valley surrounded by spectacular mountains so it seems you're in the middle of nowhere. Fantastic place - great food - OK if you're into serious riding I guess you may not find it that challenging - no galloping - on one of my two previous horse rides many years ago even I'd galloped - loping is the fastest you're going to go - never heard of that before - in UK-speak it means cantering I think - I wasn't judged good enough to go on a fully fledged loping ride anyhow - you have to pass a loping test - I blame the horse. But the riding is fun, the scenery superb providing you like cacti, the ranch accommodation and facilities excellent, staff friendly. In August it is very quiet though - which is good as there's not too many people riding and the pool's not crowded - but there's not much going on the evening - which is probably good because you need to get up at the crack of dawn to do your rides as its just so hot during the day. Mixture of guests - US and European. Most of the serious teaching to ride seems to be focused on kids - for adults its go left go right, kick and off you go - just remember that "giddy up ol' horse" is not an accepted form of command so the wrangler (those are the guys dressed like cowboys and with strange moustaches who tell you what to do) told me. Verdict - well - finances permitting - cos it's not cheap this place, oh no - I think we want to go back again next year - I guess i can get maximum value for money from the cowboy boots and hat I bought the wife in Tucson.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
TanqueVerde, General Manager at Tanque Verde Ranch, responded to this review, 22 September 2010
Thank you so much for your review! It is always nice to hear from our guests. I did want to mention that we are in the final stages of developing new, lower rates. Based on feedback from our guests, our reservations team has done a remarkable job of working through our rates and developing an entirely new structure. Most rates will be reduced by 20-35%. We are very excited about this change, and feel it makes our property an unbeatable value, considering all we offer to our guests in our all inclusive package. These new rates will be available within the next two months, so please stay tuned!