“Needs Work”

Lodge at Ventana Canyon
Ranked #12 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
“Needs Work”
Reviewed 7 April 2013 via mobile

We booked the Lodge via a bid on Priceline but were pleased to get a four-star, five-dollar sign place. As I typically do when traveling with a child (given Priceline's default reservation for two adults), I called the Lodge within ten days of the reservation (and this more than 10 weeks before the reservation) to make sure we'd have a room with two beds. No problem, I was assured. They looked up my reservation and said we had a Loft Suite with two levels and three beds. All set. Except that . . . when we arrived, no such thing was available. They seemed surprised we were a party of three as only a room with one king bed was available. So our son slept on the hide-a-bed sofa for our stay. Not great. The suite itself was large but tired and smelled a bit stale. I counted over 20 spots on the walls where plaster had chipped away (fist-sized spots) but that had not been repaired but only re-painted. The plaster over the outside of our door was so badly decayed you could see the metal strip from the drywall panel. The interior of the elevator looked to have been designed by the same guy who did the set for the Mike Douglas Show in the 70's. This place is tired and did not do right by us.

Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Scott H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Decorah, Iowa
Reviewed 26 March 2013

The chef at the lodge does a beautiful job....we were at a banquet there and thoroughly enjoyed the food....well prepared, nicely served and in a lovely setting. This is a great venue for meetings or, this case, an alumni event for the institution we worked for before retirement.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Wichita, Kansas, United States
Reviewed 25 February 2013

We had a 4 night stay that didn't start well. Fire alarm in our room went off about bedtime so we called we called for help. Maintenance showed up but really didn't know much more about it than I did and didn't speak very good English. As you might have guess it went off again so they let us sleep in different room the first night. A pain but workable. Next day maintenance replaces both fire alarms. The setting of the lodge is nice but it is way over due for some updating. I agree with other review on this subject. There is a resort fee of $24 a night and they add 20% to every meal tab which tells me they need the money to stay afloat. We go to Tucson every February and I'm guessing we won't be back to Lodge until we here some positive feedback about updating, etc.

Room Tip: Good view of valley on south side and good view of the mountain on the north side.
1 Thank Scott P
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 13 February 2013

I did a bid on Priceline and this is where they put me. I was blown away by the service, everyone was extremely nice/helpful everywhere we turned. You can tell the rooms are a bit older but they were still in fine condition, couldn't hear the neighbors and they were HUGE. We were in town to rock climb and mountain bike and it made for a great launch point. Didn't golf, but the course looked amazing.

Newport Beach, California
Reviewed 11 February 2013

I had two rooms for a total of 6 nights.
My experience at the Lodge was disappointing as my early golf tee time was rained out along with 40 degree temps. The golf shop offered to reschedule, but we were unable to do so on this trip. Even though no one else was on the course, the resort would not refund any portion of the green fees. The Lodge could have gained a life time customer and brand advocate had they handled this situation better. While the golf course is great, guess I'll go back to Lowe's and play the course through their pro shop.
While this is a golf activity review, it reflects on my overall opinion of the resort.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Kansas City USA
Reviewed 10 February 2013

This property is beautiful ...entertaining golf courses, landscaping, etc. The Lodge is due for some updating. We had a huge suite with small kitchen. Very comfortable but a bit dated. Plumbing fixtures, lamps needed replacement. Bedding was ok ish. We ate breakfast most mornings in the restaurant ...very good.
There was a $24 per day resort fee added to our agreed upon room rate. I really do not like that!!!! Way too much for this level of hotel, too.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 24 January 2013

Living in the rainy Pacific NW, and after a busy tax season, this is where I daydream of going each April/early May. My husband and I can rest completely here and we spend at least 9 nights at just the Lodge itself. The grill is wonderful and the people that serve there are so incredibly nice. WE love hiking the sabino canyon and they offer a free shuttle service to and from. Honestly, the only two things I can think of that I would change about this place is that it's a little pricey (but worth every penny) and you gotta remember, it has a little kitchenette that you can cook your own and save money. The other thing would be that the pool is off limits from about 3 - 5 on weekdays for students doing swim meets. I absolutely love that lap pool. The view is incredible. Choose the room wtih a view. I can't wait until April.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple