“Disappointing stay”

Lodge at Ventana Canyon
Ranked #11 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I booked two rooms for a three day stay because of the location, the kitchens and it being a resort. It is not a resort, though you pay a $24/day resort fee.It's a club that rents rooms that it's members didn't purchase and I think members are more a priority than guests. The pool is a good walk away and covered with floating lane markers- no splashing with kids here. Our two rooms were spacious, the beds comfortable, the staff was friendly and helpful and the location and grounds were very scenic. The "kitchen" was the first disappointment because there was nothing to cook with. We had to ask for utensils and they were brought right up: two pots and a skillet, a spatula and two plastic spoons, all old and scratched with deteriorating Teflon. There is a stove, dishwasher, coffee maker and small refrig but no toaster, knives, cutting board, pot holders, cleaning sponges or the usual things you use to actually cook with.
My wife and I in were in room 220 which was a Mountain View room with a nice view, standing bathtub and loud a/c that ran constantly. My daughter was in room 216, another "Mountain View" room except for the tree/hedge that stood three feet above the top of her balcony and blocked all views except for the sky. Her room did not have the coffee maker, iron or board and the clock was broken. As she discovered these, she called and they were quickly brought to her room. That night the lights above her balcony shined in through the large peaked windows above her bed. At sunrise, so did the sun as this is an east facing room. We were told at check in that the property was full or we would have asked to change rooms. She enjoyed a nice massage until she was charged more than the brochure in her room quoted. The friendly staff took care of that the next day, attributing the error to an old brochure and "the renovation". This room opened to a sitting area that had the same empty drink glasses sitting on a table the entire three days we were there. An exchange of emails with the Lodge brought an apology for the "view" in 216 and they said they would be purchasing new pots and pans.

Room Tip: Room 220 was large and has a nice view. Room 216 and the two adjoining rooms "views" will...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Genendee

Reviewed 30 September 2013

We stayed here on our first anniversary and was not dissapointed! My wife loves old style claw foot tubs so i requested a room with one the booking agent made it happen everything was outstanding the service the view the room exceeded all expectations and the price was great room service was killer as well great portions! Will absolutely be back!!

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank Bajecca
Reviewed 11 September 2013

The Lodge at Ventana Canyon is an odd place. We did priceline name our own price for a 4 star property. That isn't what we got. I would never do that again in Tucson as you probably would get this property. About our stay. When you arrive, they meet you outside, escort you to your 'room', hand write your credit card info and then leave. They charge a resort fee......even though they are not a resort. The pool, tennis courts etc. are set up for a country club atmosphere-used by members. Pool is set up for swim meets. It is separate from the condo area. Our condo was ground floor but outside area and lights were full of spider webs and gigantic spiders. Not a friendly greeting. Rooms were very large but really really really dated. Wall paper peeling off, woodwork needs fresh coat of paint, desperately needs updating. Walls were paper thin. Could hear neighbors full conversations and tv when on. At one time the property was beautiful. With a major overall it still can be. For now a 2.5 rating is appropriate and they have to get rid of the "resort" fee.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank bedgeredge
Reviewed 7 September 2013

I have stayed at the Lodge a number of times. It has been one of my favorite places. It's comfortable, quite and elegant in a clubby sort of way. This time however I was quite disappointed by my room. The room is a very large, outdated and under-furnished space. Basically a "rattle around space" rather than a comfortable space. The bed was quite uncomfortable - like a cheap motel 6 bed. When I mentioned my disappointment the staff just replied that not all rooms have yet been renovated and some sections were closed so there was no where to move me. Indeed I did not book a deluxe mountain view room so my room was on the ground floor on the parking lot side. In my opinion, there is no reason to stay at the Lodge unless one has a renovated room in the main part of the lodge. The rate for the lesser rooms, especially with the resort charge is excessive. One can easily do much, much better in the area.

Room Tip: Do not accept a room that has not been renovated. Book a room in the main part of the Lodge.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Scott W
Reviewed 5 September 2013

I had a great time staying at The Lodge. The staff was very courteous and friendly, the place was clean and very comfortable. I loved swimming in the junior Olympic pool and there are awesome hiking trails nearby. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 26 August 2013

My wife and I just returned from a great weekend retreat at The Lodge and had a great time. The rooms are huge and very comfortable. Sitting out on my balcony with my coffee Sunday morning with the beautiful mountain scenery could have been more relaxing.

The golf course is beautiful and in great condition and our wives enjoyed massages while we played golf. The staff was extremely friendly in every area and the food was delicious as well.

The resort is only about 5 mnutes from the parking for Sabino Canyon, which has some wonderful hikes.
All in all a great resort and we can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 August 2013

I have rarely experienced a more perfect Resort stay. Every part of my stay was better than expected. I highly recommend The Lodge at Ventana. From the moment I arrived I was made to feel special and taken care of. The mountains and surrounding landscaping are magical.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel