“The Un-Hotel”

Lodge at Ventana Canyon
Ranked #12 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed 19 February 2006

My wife and I have stayed at The Lodge twice, and we've also stayed at the Loew's Ventana Canyon. Loved 'em both, but we keep going back to The Lodge precisely because of some of the "negative" comments on this site by former guests who regretted the lack of amenities and resort-style hotel service....Staying at The Lodge is like living in a condo complex: quiet rooms, numerous attractive walkways and places to explore, and good service (we found) when you request it. (If you're nice, they're nice!) Gives you a real feeling of Tucson living, not "hotel" living where everybody's mulling around with briefcases, suits, and name tags! I don't golf or play tennis, but enjoy hiking, touring, and relaxing in a comfortable, luxurious spot when I return to my room. To the folks who don't like the place, I say: SPREAD THE WORD ABOUT HOW BAD THIS PLACE IS SO PEOPLE LIKE ME WHO LOVE IT WILL HAVE A BETTER CHANCE TO NEGOTIATE FAVORABLE RATES BECAUSE OF LOW OCCUPANCY!!

• Stayed: February 2006
28  Thank George H
There are newer reviews for Lodge at Ventana Canyon

Reviewed 12 January 2006

The critical reviews of this great property are hilarious. One guy apparently went here to lock himself in his room and eat nachos....and is complaining about the nachos. Not having had the nachos, I can only say I don't know how good they are, nor do I care.

I have stayed at this resort/Club just about every year since 1986, and I will be going back this year. First and foremost, Ventana is about the Golf, as this amazing property has TWO Tom Fazio designed masterpieces. The property spreads out over what must be at least 1000 acres of phenominal Tucson mountain/canyon property.

If you are not there for the golf, you could possibly be dissapointed. However, the Club does have a very comfortable atmosphere, a big (noisy) pool, exercise facilities that are quite nice and a masseuse on site.

The only people I have ever witnessed "dissappointed" at Ventana are those who insist on understanding and reconciling their bill, because over the 22 times I have been there, I have never once even ATTEMPTED to reconcile one. (nor could I have done so if I had tried) Fortunately, the Lodge remains enough of a value that reconciling the bill is really not important at all.

Most of the employees are very helpfull. The property is stunnng. The facilities are comfortable and nice.

This is one of the truly great golf resorts in America. Golfers will love it. But who knows....maybe you should avoid the nachos.

Stayed: June 2005
25  Thank MartyPalmSprings
Montreal
Reviewed 17 November 2005

Very nice place to stay, security, beautiful, good service,luxury, nice people,etc...
Golf is expensive, but one time in a life!
If i could, i'l bee back to this place.
You have to try this.

• Stayed: November 2005
17  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Carmel, California
Reviewed 15 November 2005

After reading some of the earlier reviews, I was a little apprehensive about staying here, but it was a company event.
First of all the staff was very helpful and attentive. They were friendly and prompt. The remodeled rooms are beautiful as are the grounds. They are elegant and tasteful. The rooms are very well appointed with huge tubs and small plasma TV's in the bathroom. I did not eat meals there as prices seems excessive.
The first room that they gave me reeked of cigar smoke, but they instantly and cheerfully gave another room that smelled fine. I consider myself to be quite discriminating and really found nothing to complain about except that I would have liked to have a coffee pot in the room. I would stay there again in a flash.

• Stayed: November 2005, travelled on business
18  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Tucson, AZ
Reviewed 27 July 2005

Made reservations for a romantic getaway with all manner of details planned ahead of time - chocolate covered strawberries in room, champagne on ice, etc.

We checked in and the first thing the desk staff tried to do was switch me to another room which did not bode well. After persuading them to let me have my own room, we arrived with none of the special arrangements present which was discouraging to say the least since this is supposed to be a 4-5 star hotel.

During check-out I relayed the events to the desk staff and they seemed uninterested and never once apologoized. The conversation began something like this:

"Everything okay with your stay"

"No, it wasn't to tell you the truth - I was quite disappointed"

*Silence*

*Silence*

"Aren't you going to ask me what was wrong with my stay"

"Oh, yes, what exactly was wrong with it"

In conclusion, stay away from the Lodge. There are plenty of other good resorts in Tucson (La Paloma, Hotel El Conquistador) who know how to treat their guests.

• Stayed: July 2005
28  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Cambridge, UK.
Reviewed 28 April 2005

This hotel is not overrated it is fantastic.

The hotel is secure, you have to enter past a gatehouse with barriers, on arrival we spoke to the gatekeeper who was expecting us !!!!!!!!!!!! We then drove to reception where again outside a chap was waiting for us. He said we can check in actually in the room, I thought a very nice touch.

The ground floor room / suite was fabulous. You can park the car at the patio door of the suite for easy access. The kitchen was clean and well presented, cooker, fridge, dishwasher, toaster etc... Bathroom magnificent, nice loung area and top notch bedroom.

I really cannot fault this place at all and I am a very very fussy traveller! I was so disappointed we were only staying 2 nights in Tucson as I did not want to leave!! Will return asap!

• Stayed: April 2005