“You would think...” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #28 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
Sierra Vista, Arizona
“You would think...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

...that a place that is touted as being a "Four Diamond Resort" would have taken care of things like pests and garbage left strewn about, but alas, you would be wrong in this case.

My wife and I purchased the recent Groupon in order to take a stay-cation of sorts, as we're local. We arrived excited for some 'us-time', and were quickly disappointed. The grounds are very nice, with wonderful mature trees, and well-maintained flora, and the overall feel is nice, but the effort put forth seemed half-assed, so to speak. We parked in front of our building, and proceeded to walk toward our Junior King Suite. On the way, we were taken aback to see what looked like feces half wrapped in a small towel sitting out on one of the stoops in front of our building! "You have got to be kidding me...", I thought, "My first impression involves crap, literally?" I decided that even though the exterior left quite a bit to be desired, I would keep a open mind, and not become upset just yet.

We then proceeded to enter the room. Like many others here have said, it was very well appointed, with nice furniture, and a comfy bed. The bathroom had been recently remodeled, and looked nice. The nice-looking bathroom, however, was a joke. I would like to punch whomever designed it in the nose, because as nice as the all-glass shower and door were, the fact that the shower head was a cheapie, coupled with the asinine shower door setup made it so that you could not turn on the shower without getting soaked, and can NOT open the shower door without water spraying out into the bathroom! I was befuddled how someone could design a shower and bathroom, and not even bother to try it out. My wife was the first one into the shower, and she came rocketing right back out, shrieking. Turns out, the hotel had already rented the room to another inhabitant. In this case, it was Mr. Cockroach. Angrily, I grabbed tissue, and proceeded to usher Mr. Cockroach into the upper-Tucson sewer system.

Thoroughly displeased with the whole bathroom debacle, my wife and I decided that a rest was what we needed. We got ready for bed, and went off to sleep. Now, like I said previously, the bed was comfy. Only the bed, though... I was faced with two choices. A pillow that looks fluffy, but when laid upon collapses into a pancake, or a giant two foot by two foot monstrosity of a pillow that was so overstuffed as to be uncomfortable. Needless to say, I woke up with a stiff neck. Disappointed again.

We attempted to sleep-in for a bit, but just couldn't any longer. So, we awoke and opted to take advantage of the breakfast voucher that came with the Groupon. Breakfast, overall was very nice. My wife had a banana-nut waffle and sausage links; both of which were very good, and I opted for the Traditional American Breakfast, consisting of two eggs, bacon, toast, and hash browns. Mine was good, as well, but they just could not get the bacon right. I asked for crispy bacon, and was twice given limp half-cooked bacon. Not a deal-breaker, but it would have been nice to have gotten what I asked for, especially with the prices they charge for breakfast at their 'GOLD' restaurant. More like 'gold-plated', really.

Overall the experience was really very disappointing. My wife and I will NOT be going back, and have already begun a campaign to inform all of our friends about our dreadful experience at Westward Look Wyndham Grand Resort and Spa...

Room Tip: Choose a room without crap in front of it, and cockroaches in it...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank CRANK13

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
Manassas, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

I've been going to Westward Look for more than 10 years now. It is a beautiful setting. Several years ago they went through a total renovation and really made it a resort. All of the decor and the little touches were so nice. They added beautiful woven lounge chairs with cushions at the pool. Every morning there were rolled towels on each of the lounge chairs. It was so luxurious and inviting. The rooms and lobby are beautiful. They had some fantastic massage chairs tucked away in various nooks of the lobby (where people can't see you) that were a perfect way to wake up or wind down. About a year ago (?) Wyndham took over. I just spent time at the resort and was sorry to see some changes that cheapen the facility. You are greeted with cheap motel type pens upon arrival (they used to have pretty ones), the pool lounge chairs have been replaced with cheap mesh ones without cushions, no music by the pool, the toiletries aren't as nice as they once were, etc. It seems that Wyndham wants to cut corners. It is a shame that they don't recognize the value of the added touches and details that made this resort stand out. I hope that they reconsider some of their changes and bring Westward Look back up to the standards it had just a year ago...then I'd gladly bring it back up to 5 stars!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank BabyAbbyMom
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

My husband and I spent 3 nights in March. Loved it. Great location and lovely property. Nice view of the city lights. Very peaceful. Rooms were lovely. Gardens were very nice to take a morning stroll. The service was very good.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 1kidsquest
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2013

My husband and I spent our honeymoon in California and Arizona. We stayed single nights at 3 hotels, and we spent 4 nights at the Westward Look with high hopes. Althrough the resort offers services like a restaurant, horseback riding and salon services, we were too busy running around Tucson to try any of those out.
The good: The grounds and surrounding areas were absolutely gorgeous. I'm a big fan of nature and animals (nonpoisonous) and the wildlife was plentiful with lizards darting everywhere, hummingbirds fluttering about on the beautiful red flowers and the precious quails shyly darting away into the bushes. The lower pool area was right outisde our room and was very beautiful and relaxing with pool service to deliver drinks and food which was nice. The chefs garden was quaint and cute (the Quails main spot it seems). The nature was around the area was nice as well. Staff was very friendly.
The not so good: $20 charge per day, $17+ movie rentals, no microwave, uncomfortable couch and unpredictable housekeeping. Three of the days we spent here the rooms were clean by 1:00 which was nice, but the third day we got back at 1:00 and no housekeeping yet. We went to the pool and stayed there until 2:30 to wait it out, but still no housekeeping, so when we decide to take a nap, that's when they want to come clean the rooms. There was a message on the phone, but it was hard to make out what the lady was saying. I'm guessing that was just a one time occurance, because the other days worked out well.
The grounds were definitely worth the stay alone, because the area was so nice, it just seemed a little pricey with the extra overpriced charges like $20a day and expensive movie rentals (and lack of channels). My one recommendation would be to include a sports package NHL specifically.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple