“GREAT STAY :)”

Ranked #27 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed 6 August 2014

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Maria J
DYamada, General Manager at Westward Look Wyndham Grand Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Write a ReviewReviews (2,913)

Reviewed 6 August 2014

We found a Groupon deal for this resort for two days in June. We enjoyed our stay so much that we went back for four days in July. The Jr. Suite we had both times was large and nicely decorated with nice views of the desert landscape. The staff was friendly and accommodating. Only problem we encountered was that the television did not work throughout the resort. Breakfast in the Gold restaurant was very good but a bit pricey if you did not have a special deal. It appears that this is a local Tucson night spot on the weekends with live music in the Lockout Bar & Grille. From here you can enjoy good food, drinks and music while taking in a spectacular view of downtown Tucson in the distance. The hotel has a lot of history dating back to the original owners who lived here when the estate was in the middle of nowhere. Many of the employees have been here through many ownership changes and are very happy to tell you the history of the resort. We took a "nature walk" with Raymundo, the head groundskeeper, who showed us many plants including the chef's garden. He has been here over 25 years and shared lots of history with us. We found this hotel to be a pleasant surprise in the desert and we will definitely return again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Pam2011_11,

I was delighted to hear that you had a wonderful time staying with us. Thank you for the high marks, thoughtful review and continued patronage of our property and staff. I am so glad you got to meet Raymundo; he is an outstanding team member and we are lucky to have him.

Once more thank you for sharing and we look forward to welcoming you back to our property on your next visit to Tucson!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

For the money, this is a fantastic place. The front desk was very helpful and accommodating. The remodeled rooms are beautiful, Make sure you get one with a view. A member of the staff even showed me several rooms to choose from (physically) before I made my reservation. The Gold restaurant has very good food but not cheap. There is even a fresh garden that the chef uses for his kitchen.

Room Tip: go for the view over the garden
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Mark M,

Thank you for the high marks and glowing review. I was happy to hear we delivered a wonderful experience to you. I have passed your comments on our staff and please know your comments are truly appreciated by them. Again, thank you for sharing and we look forward to seeing you again in the not too distant future!

Best wishes and safe travels!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Really enjoyed this hotel. It had an older Hollywood classy feel. If only the walls could talk. The rooms were clean, efficient, and updated. The layout was a little confusing at first. That had to do with it being spread out and giving the rooms an open feel. The pools were a little disappointing. Not exactly the cleanest pool or even refreshing. The Hot tub was a warm tub. Overall I would stay here again, but may want to look at the El Conquistador just down the road.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Drear dwigmaster,

Thank you for the high marks and wonderful review. You’ll be interested to know that old Hollywood has visited here; Dean Martin was a regular guest and our resort shop was originally a guest room built to accommodate him. I have shared your thoughts with our engineering team to address those areas mentioned.

I am glad that you had a wonderful time staying here and we look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in town!

Reviewed 4 August 2014

It took me a few visits to their website, and a 30 minute phone call to just make my reservation. (Overseas call center)
When I checked in I was assured my reservation was correct. On my 3rd day my key didn't work. A quick visit to the desk, he assured me my reservation wasn't wrong, just that the keys had been too close to my phone or something. 30 minutes later I got a phone call asking why my belongings were still in the room. (Uh, because I didn't check out until the next day!)

The room was nice, spacious, great views. A bit of mold in the shower, the carpet felt rough on bare feet, so I wore shoes the entire stay.

Parking was a nightmare over the weekend, but during the week was much better.

The spa is dreamy, and the grounds are well maintained. For a very old establishment they've done a fantastic job keeping it modern, and disguising the age.

Other than the difficulties with the reservation, all else was good.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo

Dear Juliette,

Thank you for the high marks and thoughtful review. I was happy to hear that overall you had a wonderful time staying with us. Next time you make a reservation with us, please call the resort directly during normal business hours Arizona time to speak to our on-site reservationists. They will be more than happy to help you.

Once more thank you for sharing and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 3 August 2014