“Relaxing and Charming - Can't wait to come back”

Westward Look Wyndham Grand Resort and Spa
Ranked #28 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
San Diego CA
“Relaxing and Charming - Can't wait to come back”
Reviewed 28 August 2006

We've just returned from our first stay at the Westward Look and I'm already planning a return visit as soon as possible. Our youngest son goes to school in Tucson and we've spent a lot of time looking for a place to call home when we visit him. We've finally found it. Everything from the friendly, helpful staff to the comfortable room and beautiful grounds made for a pleasant, relaxing trip.

Check-in was quick, all my questions were answered and after a short drive through the grounds we arrived at our building which housed 6 suites. The "buildings" look like spanish houses with stucco and wood beams. Our room (suite) was large, nicely appointed and very clean . It's not "cookie cutter" hotel decor, particularly in the bathroom and dressing areas which are huge. No tripping over each other when changing clothes and plenty of closet and drawer space for everyone. The tile in the bathroom is older but appears to be hand painted which was charming and not found in chain hotels. Big, big, towels which were soft, absorbent and best of all, plentiful. I really liked the skylight in the bathroom as it let in tons of natural light. Other hotels focus on bed and linen quality in their advertising and our bed at the Westward was on par or better, providing a restful night's sleep. The sheets were soft and the mattress was extremely comfortable. Can't figure out why there were some negative reviews about the t.v. placement. We watched from the couch, table and bed and no one had any trouble seeing t.v. Noise from other rooms was never a factor during our stay even though all 6 rooms in our building were occupied. During our walks and while sitting on the balcony the bushes and trees provided natural sound barriers and the fountains placed throughout the resort were a pleasant surprise.

Our spa experience was excellent. I was able to book an afternoon massage that same morning; something you may not be able to do during busier times of the year. One reviewer questioned why the resort called this a "spa" as there is no steam room or sauna. I can't think of a day spa I've been to that has either of these items and the lack of both did not detract from our experience in any way. Maybe they were looking for a gym.

If you enjoy nature you will be very happy. Leafy trees, blooming catcus and gorgeous flowering bushes are everywhere. The grounds are well tended and the lighting at night was more than adequate but unobtrusive. Be sure to take advantage of the resort's two trails which are well marked and provide many opportunities to see ground squirrels, chipmunks and road runners (along with the birds, butterflies, etc.). Kids will have a great time.

The excitement of traveling comes with experiencing new places and being open to everything a location has to offer. I'm so glad we found the Westward Look.

Stayed August 2006
19 Thank Time2Travl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 22 August 2006

While we did not stay at the Westward Look during our recent visit to Tucson, we had several very positive experiences at the resort and hope to have the opportunity to stay as guests in the future. First, my husband and I each had wonderful treatments at the spa (me, the hot stone, and him, the reflexology). The treatments, atmosphere and attitude were all top-notch, and prices were extremely reasonable. We then returned a couple of days later, asking if it was possible to see a room (though we made it clear we were staying elsewhere). Not only was the concierge and desk staff extremely helpful, the bellman took us to two rooms gave us a quick tour of the property, and took time to answer questions. Definitely above and beyond, and all accompanied by a very friendly attitude. And we really liked the two very different rooms (one by the pool, and another farther away). They aren't huge, but nicely decorated and looked very clean and comfortable. Last but not least, we had dinner in the Gold Room the following evening. What a wonderful experience - the food was incredibly good, and the atmosphere was extremely nice. All in all, we look forward to making the Westward Look our new Tucson home on our next visit to Arizona.

• Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Elenita
Phoenix
Reviewed 10 August 2006

I am sorry to say that I cannot recommend this resort based on the lack of professionalism of the resort staff.
When we arrived at the Westward Look, we were expecting a pleasant stay at a nice desert resort. However, our stay took a turn for the worse almost immediately upon check-in. The front desk clerk "forgot" to give me back my credit card during check-in procedure (he did manage to give me back my driver's license). Unfortunately, I discovered this error a couple of hours later. After placing a phone call to my credit card company, I found that someone had used my credit card at a nearby McDonald's restaurant shortly after my check-in at the front counter. Needless to say, I immediately canceled my credit card. I spoke with the resort manager later that day and discussed the possibility that one of his staff may have stolen my credit card. The resort manager seemed to dismiss my concern, saying that his staff would not do such a thing. He filled out a short report and I was told that their security manager would get in touch with me. Unfortunately, they never did. About a week later, I found that the Westward Look had billed my credit card $20 more than the invoice that I received at check-out. I contacted the resort and asked about the discrepancy, and I was informed that they had placed additional charges from the in-room snack/minibar. We did not use any in-room services, especially not the minibar. They could not explain to me what I had used, and I demanded that the additional charges be removed. They told me that they would contact me regarding the overbilling, and I am still waiting to hear from them.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The staff
  • Tips/Secrets — Hold on to your wallet - seriously!
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
20 Thank carm123
KirstenN, Asset Manager at Westward Look Wyndham Grand Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 19 September 2006
As you can imagine, I was quite disturbed to hear of your experience at Westward Look Resort. I am disappointed to read of the negative impression you have been left with.

It is our policy to immediately log lost credit cards and lock the credit cards in a safe. I have conducted an investigation of your loss and cannot substantiate that any of our staff stole or placed inappropriately charges on your credit card. In your review you indicated the Front Desk Agent was male. All of our male, Front Desk staff have been employed and in good standing with Westward Look Resort for a long time. These employees regularly receive positive reviews from our guests, through our internal comment cards.

I do apologize for the issues you encountered with the mini-bar charges. Please feel free to contact me if you need to further address this issue. Due to the method of our communication, I ask that you contact me via email. My address is below.

Again, I can read that your impression of Westward Look Resort is not favorable. Given the opportunity, it would be a great pleasure to welcome you and your family back to experience our Southwest hospitality.

Paul D’Andrea
Asset Manager
pmdandrea@gemstoneresorts.com

Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 7 August 2006

We have absolutely enjoyed this resort! I am a student at the UofA in Tucson. My family and I stayed here for a weekend while I moved into a new place. The resort was far more than we expected. After staying in numerous hotels/resorts in Tucson over 15 years, we can honestly say this is one of the best!

We booked two suite-sized rooms in Building 19 through the hotel website. We asked for adjoining rooms (one for the "kids" and one for the parents). We did not get Building 19 like requested but the resort put us in the next closest building and it still had stunning views of the Tucson valley. We were not unhappy!

The suite-sized rooms are a must at this resort. We saw some of the "posada" rooms by the pool and they looked like your typical "Motel 6" room. The negative reviews must have stayed in the posada rooms. The suite-sized rooms had HUGE bathrooms and sitting areas. Yes, the sofa and chair were a little out dated but still in good shape. Everything else in the room still looked new. The housekeeping staff does an excellent job at keeping things spotless, not just when you arrive but all throughout your stay.

The front desk staff was as helpful as one could be. A "trainee" took care of us and was pleasant to work with. The supervisor was right there helping if she got stuck on anything but it went very smoothly. One of our rooms wasn't ready when we checked in but we received the key to the other and brought us the key when the second room was ready. What service!! The only thing we had to ask for was some hand soap, as they forgot to provide us with any. We received a "right away" response and sure enough, it was there when we returned to the room.

We ate at both of the restaurants on site and both were excellent. The first night there we were all beat and didn't want to go out to eat so we went to the "Lookout Bar & Grill". This was far more than a typical bar and grill. The menu had things from shrimp penne pasta, ahi tuna, hamburgers, and salmon. The waitress was very sweet and got all of our orders right. She had a bunch of tables as there was a conference in town that weekend but she never forgot about us. The food was the best we'd had at any resort. Very flavorful. The "Gold Room" is the resorts better restaurant but we only ate there for breakfast and couldn't compare it to the Lookout Bar & Grill. The service in the Gold Room was superb and the food was what you'd expect for a breakfast but with different twists. We even had room service one night after a long day of moving, and it was delicious. The club sandwich and the spinach-artichoke dip is the best.

When checking out we spoke with the front desk clerk about their rates during winter/graudation time. He says the book early so get your reservation in. Also the rates in winter rise to 200-300 per night...but with this resort, it is well worth the cost. Give this place a try and you won't be disappointed! Feel free to contact me through TripAdvisor if you have any questions!!

• Liked — Everything!!
  • Tips/Secrets — Watch the hotel website for special deals on great rooms!
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
11 Thank Chris G
Novato, California
Reviewed 2 August 2006

We had booked two upper floor rooms. Confirmed ahead of time. The day of the stay we called to inquire about an early check-in and they told us that they had a reservation for only one room. We were informed that they would not have another room available and that they were full. My friend and I had a spa appointment that we kept in hopes that a room would become available. It did not. My husband and I stayed in the one room as we were from out of town and would not have another chance to stay. Our friend, who lives in Tucson went home. The room we got was downstairs with a very dank entrance. The furniture was badly stained and there was a hole in the wall. The bed spread had "stuff" on the underside of it. Don't know what it was. My husband went to the resort bar for a cocktail and when he walked onto the patio area he was informed that he could not be there as it was part of the resort restaurant. Our dinner there was fair except for the long wait for our meal and the appetizer plates were left on the table for the entire meal. The staff bordered on rude. Worst stay I have ever had.

• Liked — The spa
  • Disliked — The breaking/losing of our reservation and the one out of 2 rooms received.
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't go!
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with friends
11 Thank wendyrose
Newton, MA
Reviewed 31 July 2006

My wife and I stayed here early March 2006 and had a great time. The rooms were quite spacious and well-appointed. The grounds were quite lovely and well-insulated from the increasing urban sprawl of Tucson. The staff was quite pleasant and helpful and there is quite a bit to do in the area. We ate at the resort restaurant for most breakfasts and for one dinner -- it was pleasant enough and, while there are better restaurants in the immediate area, staying on the site had its charms.

But be sure to visit Frost's Gelato shop, in a shopping center nearby: great stuff! Who knew that some of the best gelato to be had in the US is in a shopping center built in a desert?

• Liked — Quality of the room, grounds
  • Disliked — Noisy family in next room on the first night -- kids don't really belong here
  • Tips/Secrets — Try the gelato at Frost's! Also, you can book reservations at the hotel restaurant on OpenTables
  • Stayed March 2006
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank Newtonian2
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2006

Stayed at the Westward Look for three nights in July 06. We paid extra for the more expensive rooms and it was worth it. The rooms were huge with a fantastic comfy bed. We overlooked the desert and mountains. The resort is down a long driveway and the grounds are beautiful.
We found the resort peaceful, well kept and very clean.

If i could criticise anything it is the more relaxed bar/grill. it is a sports bar and can be noisy. Also the food is there is quite basic - burgers, sandwiches etc but it is fine for a snack or light meal. We didn't use the other 'Gold Room' restuaurant at night (only for breakfast) but we heard from other guests that it was good.

The resort has 2 nice leisure pools and a lap pool. We liked the pool that was away from the main lobby and bar. There was never anyone there!!

I think this is a great hotel for the money we paid. I know it was off season (I'm sure it is alot more in peak season) but overall I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed July 2006