“So sad to leave”

Ranked #1 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
London, United Kingdom
“So sad to leave”
Reviewed 15 March 2013

We recently spent five unforgettable days at White Stallion Ranch. It was the most perfect holiday we’ve had for many years, due to a combination of features which makes a stay at White Stallion such an idyllic experience. The ranch facilities, which included lounge, bar, restaurant, fitness centre, swimming pool and recreation room/movie theatre, were excellent. Our accommodation – we had a de-luxe double room - was beautifully appointed in Western style. The food was superb. But the riding options make White Stallion so special. The horse selected according to your personal experience and physique stays with you for the duration of the visit, so you have the chance to get to know each other. The wranglers are of course experienced horse-riders; in addition they are uniformly friendly, courteous and helpful. The rides on offer cater for everyone from complete beginners to highly competent riders. Outings, varying from all-day trips, fast rides with loping and slow one and a half hour rides, all offer a unique experience in the magnificent surroundings of the Sonoran desert and mountains. For those who enjoy a bit more excitement and fun there are barrel racing and team penning events. Evenings offer a choice of entertainments from cowboy singers to stare gazing to line dancing.

If you love horses and riding, White Stallion is a special place; if you don’t ride but just want to immerse yourself in a truly Western environment with dawn to dusk sunshine, it’s still the place to visit. Will we be back? Absolutely, for sure – but next time for rather longer than five days!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Connecticut
Reviewed 25 February 2013

This was our first time at a dude ranch and we fell in love with WSR. Everyone was very friendly and made an effort to know our names. We had the same horses for the entire stay. This was especially great for the kids because they got very comfortable with their horses. Our son took two lessons and by the end of 4 days he was doing barrels at a canter!

I especially enjoyed the entertainment in the evening. There was something different every night, but my favorite was listening to Bill Ganz sing cowboy songs and play his guitar by the campfire under the moonlight. That evening was really a special treat. (By the way, that usually happens on Thursday evenings, so plan accordingly if you want to see it.)

The food was great. The rooms are separate little bungalows, so very quiet. Everyone had a smile on their face and you could tell they enjoyed what they did. The owners take a lot of pride in making sure everything runs smoothly and that everyone stays safe. The only downside is that it is expensive. However we are saving up to go again. We all miss the sunshine and horses.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Derry, New Hampshire
Reviewed 18 February 2013

Just returned from my fourth visit to White Stallion Ranch (my fiance's second). By this time after three previous visits, one might expect to get that "been there, done that" feeling...but not at this place. The feeling you get when you drive onto the ranch property is much more like, "Ahhh, home again!" because it's a place where, as the theme from the TV show Cheers noted, "everybody knows your name"...and I do mean everybody... the shuttle driver, the office staff, the wranglers, the kitchen staff/food servers, and even the owners -- the True Family -- who set the example of outstanding hospitality for all the ranch workers. They cannot do enough to make your stay at the ranch everything you want it to be, and they all do it with a smile.

The real stars of the ranch, of course, are the happy healthy horses who take us for amazing rides in the tranquil, almost surreal, beauty of the desert landscape...thousands of acres of fantastic views...lovingly protected by generations of the True Family. There is a horse for every level of rider; horses and riders are paired up by Russell True who has a knack for making a great match. My horse for this week was a lovely Palomino who was a great partner for me, my riding level, and my expectations. My fiance, who rode last year for the very first time (being engaged to a "horse-girl" has certain requirements, right?) was also paired with an appropriate mount.

One warning...if you arrive with the attitude that you know more than the wranglers and are not willing to abide by the rules established with everyone's safety and enjoyment in mind (including that of the horses), this may not be the best place for you. There are plenty of riding opportunities every day, varying in speed (walking to loping), in terrain (flat desert to mountains), and in duration (from an hour or so to an all-day ride). There's even a ride during which you can enjoy wine and cheese (or beer and munchies) in the desert with your fellow riders. Oh, and I almost forgot the three chances each week to experience team penning in the very large arena...so much fun!

The accommodations are wonderful...I have experienced a corral-side single/economy double and a cactus garden-view deluxe double (this visit); both were more than comfortable...not that you will spend much time in it...there is sooooo much to do!!

And the food...well, the food is delicious and plentiful...you will NOT go hungry here!

Yesterday was a sad day as our week at the ranch had come to an end...but I am already planning for my next (5th) visit and even the one after that. There is so much more I could say...there is nothing NOT to love about this ranch...it is my paradise...my happy place!!

Room Tip: I don't think you could go wrong with any room...the office staff would be happy to help you cho...
4 Thank nhrider
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 14 February 2013

As a past travel agent and a member of the Tucson community, I came away from a mere two night stay at White Stallion Ranch with a sense of awe and wonder at what a well run, fabulous
product they have there on so many levels. They offer so many and varied rides, the horses are fabulous and as pretty much a non rider myself, I could just enjoy the grounds and be happy, but ride we did! The food is delicious, there is a great feeling of 'being home' (that was in only two nights!) and if you don't drive in to Tucson you can get a feeling of having left the planet, the every day rush and that you are having a total escape from everything and have stepped in to another world. It is AWESOME! The staff are very friendly and always wanting to help in any way; the rooms are very nice - too busy to stay and enjoy much! We plan to return and hopefully take our family. Simply cannot say enough good things about the White Stallion Ranch!

Room Tip: There are some rooms next to the horse corral. If you ask for one of these, ask for an end unit as t...
Costa Mesa
Reviewed 12 February 2013

Wow. I had never been to a Dude Ranch but will definitely come back to this one. It was a total immersion in "Life on the Ranch". Once there, I did not want to leave or even think about the real world. The hosts/owners were so welcoming and hospitable, as was the entire staff. There are wonderful cactus gardens around the property and birds are seen/heard everywhere. The night sky is beautiful for stargazing around a campfire. The cabins are charming and nicely furnished with inviting porch areas for reading/relaxing. The food is plentiful and tasty. The public areas/lounge are beautifully furnished in Western style and offer expansive mountain views. I enjoyed watching the wranglers and staff at work -- repairing saddles, shoeing horses, or washing/grooming. Everyone was friendly and helpful. We had some great, peaceful rides through the lush Sonoran desert. Can't wait to go back -- will take some lessons next time.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms have advantages -- they are placed around the property and each has some advan...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Laurieface
North East, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 5 February 2013

This place exceeded my expectations! I'm an avid rider and my daughter is somewhat experienced; I've been on riding holidays where the horses do nothing more than walk, nose-to-tail. Not with this place! The horses are the highlight of the experience (and should be, as it's a riding vacation!) They have horses suitable for every level, and most every size rider--even with a couple massive Clydesdales to carry big riders. From early morning until dinner there are endless choices of rides: breakfast rides, fast rides, slow rides, mountain rides, half-day rides, all-day rides (and for those who underestimate the demand of being in the saddle 6+ hours in one day, all were warned, "If you're up to it, this might be one of the best days of your life. If you're not, it will easily rank among the worst days of your life.") We walked, trotted, and cantered across miles of beautiful desert and rode over breathtakingly beautiful mountains. It was glorious.

The accomodations were private, basic, decorated with a southwestern flair, and more than adaquate. We had a mini fridge in our room, but didn't need to stash food as there is virtually always something being served. Breakfasts are what you'd expect cowboys to eat (as was everything else!) Lots of meat, chicken, potatoes, vegetables, and bread. (They offer gluten free foods, but not much for vegetarians to eat!) There is an honor bar where you can take a can of soda or beer, or pour yourself a glass of wine, then write down what you drank. Besides that, everything is included and you're not nickel-dimed as you are in many resorts.

Besides the endless riding and plentiful meals, there is a petting zoo, swimming pool, sauna, and movie room. They offer evening entertainment (like cowboys doing lasso tricks--don't laugh, it was impressive!) If you are bored here, it's your own fault. All these activities are within 50 steps of your room and all are delightful.

I had two complaints: the more serious was the softness of the bed. It was so uncomfortable I couldn't sleep. (I travel often and am usually very easy to please.) I don't have back pain or back problems but after two nights sleeping in this bed I could hardly walk. I finally bought a blow-up mattress and put it on the floor, where I slept comfortably the next 6 days. (Moving to another room wasn't an option as the resort was full.)

My other complaint was the attitudes of some of the other guests. People return year after year at the same time and meet up with their friends from previous visits. We felt like we walked into the wrong high school reunion! We did meet some other first-time visitors and created our own social circle. Most of the 'regulars' were quite nice, and I can see why people return. We will do the same--just hoping we don't choose another week when 80% of the guests are returning to see their old friends.

Room Tip: The rooms near the horse paddock are great for kids to walk outside and pet/ feed the horses (they h...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank PAHRN
Sullivan, Illinois
Reviewed 4 February 2013

This was our first visit, but we will definitely be back. My husband and I had a wonderful time. We're both fairly experienced riders, and were concerned that this might be all 'nose to tail' stuff, but we were very pleasantly surprised. They had nice horses well matched to our riding abilities, and we did a fair amount of fast riding, and even matched the ranch record in team penning! The ranch food was wonderful. Not a bad meal all week, and plenty of it. We really enjoyed the breakfast ride. It was fun to eat out in the desert, and the wine and cheese ride was nice, too, but our favorite was the 'Suicide pass' ride (they offer a fast and slow version). The climb was challenging, and the views were awe-inspiring.

We got a suite this time, which was nice, but I think we'll get a deluxe room or suite next time so that we have a jacuzzi. I could have really enjoyed that after the all-day ride! They have a hot-tub, but we didn't want to walk over to it. A jacuzzi in the room would have made the next day a bit easier. :)

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple