“Hospitality re-defined”

White Stallion Ranch
Ranked #1 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
“Hospitality re-defined”
Reviewed 24 March 2013

If you are tired of being a room number at yet another chain-owned resort, look no further than the White Stallion Ranch. They treat every guest like family. You will never feel rushed, go hungry, or have anything to worry about. My wife has Celiac's and she usually starves on vacation. They accomodated her diet at every meal (happy hour too). You don't have to be a horse lover to enjoy this place, but don't be surprised if you leave with a space in your heart for these wonderful creatures. I could repeat everything said by all of the other positive reviews, but instead, i will just encourage you to read them. I have nothing bad to say. One thing not mentioned, the gift shop has some fine quality western wear and a wide variety of hats. You may not see yourself wearing a cowboy hat, but the desert heat on a long day of riding may change your mind. They are quite functional and you will fit right in at this place. My daughter swore she would never get a cowboy hat. She was wearing one before we left. My wife and I bought clothes and hats before we arrived, but it wasn't necessary. Chatting with staff was always a pleasure and they are always making an effort to be interactive with you. The people make this place worth every penny. My son usually hides in the room and plays video games. He rarely grins and is generally bored with hotel activities. He never missed a ride and was caught smiling on many occasions while sitting in the saddle. He really enjoyed team penning. My daughter actually had serious doubts about our sanity when we said we were going to a "dude" ranch. Now she is researching to work toward a horse of her own. She fell in love with them. We met other first timers and some veteran guests as well. They were all pleasant. Don't be shy, happy hour is a great time to meet others, and when you go out on rides, it's even more fun with your new friends.

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank JackDiamonds

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Massachusetts
Reviewed 24 March 2013

My daughter and I just returned from a stay at the White Stallion Ranch. Unfortunately we only had a three day stay and wish it could have been longer. The ranch is set in the Saguaro dessert with the mountains as a back drop. The rooms are clustered in small buildings of 4 rooms each, this would be the single rooms, they also have suites available. Our room was right next to the paddock. We enjoyed visiting with the horses when we weren't riding. The rooms are clean and simple with a western theme. If you are looking for luxury standard rooms, this is not the place, however they were clean and the beds were comfortable. I'm not sure a fancy luxury room really goes with the whole ranch idea anyway. This is an all inclusive place, 3 meals each day, food was good, not extraordinary. We missed the Thursday night steak which I am sure was good as they raise their own cattle. Happy hour was at 6pm , appetizers were served each night, the bar was on the self-serve honor system, they had premixed margaritas and prickly pear margaritas (which were delicious) and an assortment of wine, beer, liquors as well as a variety of sodas and juices (all were available at any time.

You do not need to be an experienced rider to ride here. There are rides for everyone and lessons for those who need them to get started. For the time we were there they offered; slow trail rides about 1 1/2 hour, fast rides about 1 hour (basically a slow and fast ride alternating), barrel racing about 1 hour, penning about 1 hour (teams penn the cattle - timed races), a wine and cheese slow ride and a beer and Cheetos slow ride both about 2- 2 1/2 hours long. Half day trail ride about 3 1/2 hours and a full day trail ride about 8 hours. You can mix up the rides and ride as often as you like. We found the horses well matched to us and found that others felt the same. You had the same horse for the duration of your stay but they were happy to change to a different if you wanted and the horses were available. We felt the horse and animals were very well cared for.

The staff was extremely pleasant and helpful. I was amazed at how they quickly remembered your name.

The best part of the stay for me was meeting so many fun people from all around the globe. I'm sure my daughter would agree she loved the people but I imagine here favorite part was the riding and waking to the horses right outside the door.

I would love to go again with my entire family and grand children. There is something for everyone.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank jej44
Oceanside, California
Reviewed 21 March 2013

Going to White Stallion Ranch will always been one of the highlights of my life. You feel like you are one of the True family. The staff treats you as if you live there. The food, amazing. The horses, fantastic. The scenery-spectacular! I didn't want to leave! The rooms are actually little casitas with a little frig and patio. Perfect for friends traveling together. I am already planning my next visit. There are no TVs in the rooms, which forces you to commune with nature. The cell service is ok... which means there is no one to bother you. Just you, the range, and your horse. The True family runs a first class operation. It's going to be blast when I bring all my girlfriends for the girls getaway weekend! Watch out White Stallion! Here we come!

Room Tip: We were in #32, which was a great central location to everything.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 20 March 2013

We just returned from our second visit to White Stallion and it was as enjoyable as the first, which was two years ago, also in March. We spent four nights/five days on the ranch and loved every minute of it! You really feel like you are on a ranch, and not just at a hotel with horses. The rooms and all of the common areas are decorated in western style. And the deluxe rooms are very large with comfortable beds, sofa, & dining table & chairs. The only minor complaint I would have is that the bathrooms are quite small...not large enough for a couple to use at the same time. The weather in the evenings was so pleasant that we enjoyed sleeping with the door open and the screen door closed and locked. And we felt completely safe. Not many hotels where you can have that experience! The food is very, very good. And they provide a good variety too. You definitely will not go hungry! The staff are super nice and very accomodating. And the best part is that somehow, they magically remember your names! I don't know how they do it! Of course the highlight of the ranch is the horseback riding. There are several types of rides available for beginners and more experienced riders. And the wranglers match you with a horse based on your riding ability. And the nice thing is that you get to ride the same horse for your entire visit. So you get to know your horse and feel comfortable with it. If you get a horse that you don't love, like my husband did on his first ride, they will gladly put you on another horse. Our favorite rides were the "Beer & Cheetos" ride and the half day ride. And there is plenty to do if you choose to skip a ride or two. The pool and hot tub are nice and not at all crowded. We were sad to leave, and will definitely plan another visit.

Room Tip: We have only stayed in the deluxe rooms. They are very roomy & comfortable except for the bathr...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 18 March 2013

A little background on us...we are a family of 4 with two boys ages 10 and 12, and we live in the midwest. We've done a lot of traveling with our kiddos though the years, including international travel, cruises, trips around the U.S.A. and many trips to Disney. This trip was very "out of the box" for us, because we are "city" people by personality, and actually aren't really that into horses at all. This trip was the result of us looking for something totally different to do for spring break, since we've kind of done all the other popular trips that people typically do. We had a great time at the White Stallion Ranch, and I know it's something our family will remember for a long time. My favorite parts were the incredibly picturesque setting, the breakfast rides and hayride lunch cookouts, and the fact that my kids were paired up with horses that they kept all week long. At the end of the trip, my youngest son was feeling sad about saying goodbye to his horse. A tip that some people might not realize is that the gift shop at the ranch sells color photos of each horse for $2.50 (a must buy for us!), and in the lobby is a booklet describing each horse's origin, birth, breed, etc. My kids really enjoyed everything about the trip, and they had never rode horses before. They took to it quickly, and the wranglers were absolutely great with us and with the kids. The ranch is very quiet and peaceful with no televisions, and at times I felt you could've heard a pin drop -- I kept telling my kids to be quieter so as not to disturb anyone - this was probably just me being a worried mom, because kids were very much welcomed everywhere. Just be aware that it's very quiet, low-key, and relaxing at the ranch. That's not to say there weren't things to do -- they were many rides and activities offered throughout the day. The food was really great, and far surpassed our expectations. We did venture out for a few meals, mainly because we love dining at different restaurants (I'd recommend Little Abner's steakhouse nearby and El Charro Mexican restaurant in downtown Tucson). We took a side trip to Tombstone and also a trip up to Phoenix to catch a spring training game. Had a wonderfully different spring break trip, enjoyed riding and relaxing. I think we might possibly return to the ranch someday in the future. Don't think it would be a year after year thing like some others do, mainly because we like to try new things (and do enjoy beaches and Disney). I honestly went into the trip very skeptical, but wanting to try it -- ended up really, really enjoying ourselves and potentially returning someday. Got some wonderful pics of our family in our boots, cowboy hats, and western attire (not our normal dress whatsoever). So fun! If you are ready to try something new, I would recommend the White Stallion ranch!

Room Tip: Loved our unit 14, with whirlpool tub and near the horses.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Kellost
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2013

We recently spent five unforgettable days at White Stallion Ranch. It was the most perfect holiday we’ve had for many years, due to a combination of features which makes a stay at White Stallion such an idyllic experience. The ranch facilities, which included lounge, bar, restaurant, fitness centre, swimming pool and recreation room/movie theatre, were excellent. Our accommodation – we had a de-luxe double room - was beautifully appointed in Western style. The food was superb. But the riding options make White Stallion so special. The horse selected according to your personal experience and physique stays with you for the duration of the visit, so you have the chance to get to know each other. The wranglers are of course experienced horse-riders; in addition they are uniformly friendly, courteous and helpful. The rides on offer cater for everyone from complete beginners to highly competent riders. Outings, varying from all-day trips, fast rides with loping and slow one and a half hour rides, all offer a unique experience in the magnificent surroundings of the Sonoran desert and mountains. For those who enjoy a bit more excitement and fun there are barrel racing and team penning events. Evenings offer a choice of entertainments from cowboy singers to stare gazing to line dancing.

If you love horses and riding, White Stallion is a special place; if you don’t ride but just want to immerse yourself in a truly Western environment with dawn to dusk sunshine, it’s still the place to visit. Will we be back? Absolutely, for sure – but next time for rather longer than five days!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Connecticut
Reviewed 25 February 2013

This was our first time at a dude ranch and we fell in love with WSR. Everyone was very friendly and made an effort to know our names. We had the same horses for the entire stay. This was especially great for the kids because they got very comfortable with their horses. Our son took two lessons and by the end of 4 days he was doing barrels at a canter!

I especially enjoyed the entertainment in the evening. There was something different every night, but my favorite was listening to Bill Ganz sing cowboy songs and play his guitar by the campfire under the moonlight. That evening was really a special treat. (By the way, that usually happens on Thursday evenings, so plan accordingly if you want to see it.)

The food was great. The rooms are separate little bungalows, so very quiet. Everyone had a smile on their face and you could tell they enjoyed what they did. The owners take a lot of pride in making sure everything runs smoothly and that everyone stays safe. The only downside is that it is expensive. However we are saving up to go again. We all miss the sunshine and horses.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family