“Wonderful people, wonderful horses ... wonderful holiday!”

White Stallion Ranch
Ranked #1 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed 8 June 2013

My daughter, son-in-law and I visited White Stallion at the end of May. We'd previously been to other ranches in Arizona which have since closed down. White Stallion Ranch was different to the other ranches, more of a top-class resort with horse riding. The accommodation and food were exceptional and the staff really friendly and welcoming. Despite it being a bigger ranch than we're used to, it still had a 'family' atmosphere. Russell True was on holiday whilst we were there and his son Steve was standing in as host. He is one of the nicest guys I've met and did a great job of looking after us.

The riding was different to what we've been used to. At the other ranches we did half day and whole day rides whereas at White Stallion there were generally one hour slow rides at 9 am and 2 pm, one hour fast rides at 11 am and 4 pm, and team penning at 4 pm on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Towards the end of the week there were longer slow rides, eg Suicide Pass and Lookout, and the fast day ride to the Saguaro National Park.

One of the things I'm particular about when we visit ranches is how well the horses are looked after and whether or not they appear happy. At White Stallion there didn't appear to be a miserable one amongst them! Not a ribcage or saddle sore in sight! They obviously take great care of their horses – all 150+ of them! One of the highlights for me was being able to hose down my horse Saguaro at the end of the day. I haven't owned a horse for over 25 years so I really appreciated being allowed to do hands-on things like this, rather than being restricted to just riding him. I could have groomed him as well in the mornings but I didn't actually get around to that.

This has to have been one of our best holidays yet. The team penning was great fun; I'd never thought of us as competitive but it turns out we are! Tell us to get three cows in a pen and we'll try our hardest to get them in there in the fastest time possible! For me this was another highlight of the holiday as the only time I've done team penning before we weren't allowed to lope, whereas at White Stallion you can go as fast as you like :D The trouble is, I tended to forget my age (56) and have pulled muscles in my back (at least I think that's what I've done!) – it stopped me going on the loping rides but nothing was going to stop me team penning even though the long lope down to the cows was agony on the Friday!

I was very pleasantly surprised as to how comfortable and exceptionally clean my room was. I lay in bed looking out at the mountains; I couldn't have wished for a better view! My room was an 'economy' room and my daughter had a deluxe room which was much bigger; however, I was more than happy with my cosy room and reckoned I had one of the best views on the ranch!

There is a photographer who visits the ranch and takes photos of the team penning on Wednesdays and Fridays. If you would like him to try and get photos of you with your partner/family it's worth mentioning it to him beforehand as he'll do his best to get the shot you want. He got some great shots of my daughter and son-in-law!

This was my 5th trip to Arizona and I was really hoping to see a snake this time. Fortunately one morning, as the wrangler was checking cinches at the start of the ride, I happened to turn around and there was this 4'+ bull snake just behind my horse. Made my day!

This was only going to be a short review as my main aim was to upload photos, but hey, looks like I got carried away! If you're thinking of trying a ranch holiday, White Stallion is the one for you! Don't delay, book today :D

Reviewed 12 May 2013

I have had another fantastic experience at the White Stallion Ranch and wanted to share some information, as the time of year can really impact the schedule.

My first two trips were in August and September, and the ranch was on their "summer" schedule, meaning they ride early in the morning and late in the afternoon with a significant break in between. The brilliance of this schedule is the number of hours mid-day for relaxing and having time by the pool. However, it is HOT all day and all night, and that can be a challenge for some. In the summer, all your meals are typically served indoors, since it is too warm to eat outside. The dining room is nice, so this isn't a bad thing, just different.

This last trip was the last week of April, and the ranch was operation their "winter" schedule. The benefits of the "winter" schedule is that you get to sleep in later, as rides start at 9am, and the last ride is done by 5pm. Dinner seems to be scheduled earlier (or maybe it was just light out still), and we did eat outdoors for every meal. This was very nice. However, with the day so compact, we only spent a few hours at the pool, and the days seemed to go quicker for some reason. Maybe because we slept more? Not sure, but it really is a trade off for cooler weather, which was warm (mid to upper 80's) but not unbearable like the summer can feel.

Whichever season you choose, it will be an amazing experience! I recommend going for at least 5 days, so you get past your body's adjustment to the riding and get to see more of the evening entertainment options. I was impressed by the selection of my horse once again - he was a perfect match for me! I am looking forward to my next trip to the ranch, season still to be determined :)

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank JM2007SJ
Reviewed 8 May 2013

This was our third visit to WSR and it just gets better every time, if thats possible.
You are made to feel so comfortable and welcome, like an old friend. Nothing is too much trouble.
The food is ample and delicious. The rooms are clean and very comfortable. The riding is brilliant and the horses are gorgeous... one to suit any variety of rider / ability. All amenities are excellent. You can choose to do what you want, if you want. The ability Russell True has to match horse to rider is amazing. The wranglers are brilliant and so much fun. There was a brilliant group of guests from a variety of countries and everyone just chats easily about their day usually with a large smile on their faces. New friends are made.
We will definately be going back for our 4th visit.... cant wait.
If you have never been to a ranch before.... go to WSR, you will never regret it. You will be going back again... i promise.

Room Tip: To be honest, from chatting with other guests, there are no bad rooms.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank steve_tuson
Reviewed 8 May 2013

This place is amazing. You will want to return again and again and again.
Owners, The True Family = wonderful, kind, experts in hospitality Russell is such a great host
Wranglers = friendly, great rapport with guests, amazing with horses (Jeremiah, James, Beston, Caitlin, Laura, Matt... could go on and on - amazing)
Kitchen Staff = accommodating, seamless in service, tasty food, friendly, professional
Housekeeping = invisible like elves, don't realize they are there, but everything is spotless
Entertainment = from critter night, to Loop Rawlins, to singing by the campfire... great!
Facilities = perfect, exactly what you want at a ranch and more! (pool, hot tub, spa, tennis, etc)
Overall = hated to leave, can't wait to come back. You can't go wrong at this place!

Room Tip: Loved room 41 - right next to the horses and our deck looked out over Panther Peak.
Reviewed 6 May 2013

Just back from my 6th annual trip to WSR. As usual, it was just brilliant. A fantastic group of guests, friendly and attentive staff, good food, comfortable accommodation, but most of all the riding was amazing. I went with friends this time, but I have been on my own before, as do many people. It certainly is not a problem for single people on this holiday, as you soon mix in with the other guests, and make new friends. There's a family atmosphere about this place that keeps people, including me, going back year after year. There is a fantastic range of horses, for all abilities, and they are beautifully well looked after. If you don't ride, don't let that put you off either, as they will soon have you comfortable on the perfect horse for you. Many people are able to lope and get out on the fast rides after only a few days.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 May 2013

I just booked my 12th trip to the ranch over a 15 year span. I have been visting WSR since 1998. I have visited the ranch alone and with family and it's always the highlight of my year! You will not find nicer people than the True family. They welcome you with open arms and treat you as a valued guest at all times. They go out of their way to make your trip as comfortable and enjoyable as possible. The horses are second to none here and the food is fabulous! I always walk in a stranger to all and walk away with 50 or so new friends from around the world. Book your vacation with this traditional dude ranch you won't be sorry. The resort is 5 star all the way from the food, horseback rides, variety in their program, staff, and ammenities avaialble. Don't delay. Each and every time my daughter and I visit this magical place we cry upon leaving and promise to return just as soon as we possibly can. If a quiet place where you can UNPLUG and relax in the hert of nature is your idea of a vacation this is PARADISE!

Reviewed 28 April 2013

This ranch is so beautiful! I would recommend it if you are looking for an adventure on a ranch. I went as part of the Cactus Cowgirls package this April. The activities that were scheduled were so much fun. My room was small but had a full bath, table and chairs, dresser, refrigerator, safe and closet. I did use the safe but it was probably not necessary as I felt save as a single at the ranch. All the staff were friendly. The wranglers were experienced and very helpful. The horses were well trained and sweet. They matched the horse to your ridding ability, age, weight, etc. My horse was so sweet, Colt was his name. He was just the right height for me. If you want to visit a ranch in Arizona go there! I loved every minute of it.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo