“Our amazing stay at the White Stallion Ranch”

White Stallion Ranch
Ranked #1 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed 21 February 2014

A dude ranch! Since I ride and train horses here in Minnesota staying at a dude ranch was not my idea of a vacation....but I have to admit that my wife made a great choice! I was impressed from the time I drove the car down the WSR driveway until it was driving back out! The room was my perfect kind of western themed home but where was the TV? I never missed it. I felt right at home in the social and dining area and even more at home on the painted mare they matched my advanced skill level to. She needed just a little attention to help slow her down but hey, it's what I know how to fix and had a blast doing just that with this mare. My only regret is that I did not stay long enough to get out on the all day ride so I could get closer to the beautiful Tucson mountains. Next time I'll take that ride because we are most definitely going back.....just like many of the other guests that we met have done....going back again and again.

Room Tip: If you are walking disabled you might want to select a room close to the dining area.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

This is the second year in a row my wife and I went to WS for a couple days to celebrate her birthday. I love the country ranch vibe without the actual cobwebs and straw mattresses. The facilities are really nice, the horseback riding in scenic Saguaro West Natl Park is fantastic, and the staff was exceptional. The people running the ranch do all the little things that make the stay great. They all know our names, they remember our preferences from our last visit, they pair you up with the perfect horse and switch them if the need should arise, everything is perfect. Last visit the hired a guy for a reptile show in the evening, this time a gut came from AZ Star Tours, a portable observatory and all the guests were able to look at stars, nebulae, galaxies, etc with the VERY knowledgeable astronomer telling us all about them, it was fantastic! A great time and we'll be back again.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank benandluella
Reviewed 13 February 2014

There is so much to write about the White Stallion Ranch-
The good-
1. The horse back riding is great. They match you to your horse based on many factors including your riding ability, experience , height and weight. You take a slow ride to see if the choice they made for you was a good one. Then they try to keep you with your horse for what ever future rides you go on. They have a huge selection of horses that all appeared to be very well cared for. Our horses were very responsive to command and easy to ride. The rides change each day so you and your horses don't get bored.
2. Our cabin was clean inside, top to bottom.
3. The grounds of the ranch are well kept. Very well kept for that matter. Keeping in mind you are in a desert, on a ranch and in the wild. You should expect your road to be stone and a bit dusty.
4. The food was good to very good. It is NOT a restaurant. Your three meals are served at certain times. They will give you a schedule when you are there.
5. The pool and hot tub were both very clean and enjoyable. Not sure if there were towels at the pool, but nice robes were provided in our room to were back and forth.
6. Very nice and well cared for tennis court and basketball court.
7. No TV in our room.....yes this is good. We went to the game room which has a free juke box, shuffle board, Ping-Pong table, pool table, Ms Pac man game, Air hockey and a small TV/ DVD player. Yes, you may have to be with other people and socialize, for us it was our wrangler John.
8. The wranglers, housekeepers, owners and other employees were all very friendly and open to helping us with any questions or problems we had.
9. NO RIDING ON SUNDAY. Even with 150 horses, everyone needs a day off. Including the horses. Plenty of things to do other than ride. Plan accordingly.

The Bad-
1. Don't make your first appearance to the Ranch at night time like we did. The signage from the road is not the best if you are not sure where you are going, especially at night.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Travelfamilychicago
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Cannot believe how wonderful our short three day stay at the WSR was. Only complaint I have is we couldn't stay another week or two! My boyfriend and I are both experienced riders and love anything involving being on horseback, and this was truly a place to be!
The meals were wonderful, a little too good as I think we are both coming home a bit heavier :). Breakfast made to your order, lunch and dinner buffet style with lots of yummy options to choose from. Of course there is also happy hour every night before dinner which is very laid back and you socialize with other guests at every meal at their long dining tables.
Riding starts Right after breakfast and you can be in the saddle as much as u can handle from 90min rides to 8hr rides, slow rides to more fast paced loping rides. All rides are very scenic and you get to see the mountains and desert from all different angles.
The staff is extremely friendly and always remember your name. The wranglers are typically a mixture of volunteers and employees some from various states in the US others from London, Switzerland, and other European areas.
The horses are wonderful, look very healthy, fit and groomed. Very well behaved and trained. They will keep you in line as you enjoy the beautiful sights, and allow you to steer and control them as needed in activities such as team penning! You typically ride the same horse during your entire stay, but are welcome to ask for a different horse as often as you like if you prefer a variety.
The guest rooms are very clean and accommodating. Very nicely decorated in western decor. You won't likely spend much time in your room as there is just so much to do! I believe the bed was extremely comfortable, slept like a rock, but then again you are usually exhausted after all the food fun and riding!
Well worth the price with it being so inclusive. The only things you will spend money on is riding lessons ($20) goodies from the gift shop, and your adult beverages/sodas.
There is also a nice pool/hot tub to relax and soak up some rays, cool off on hot days. A petting zoo with fun little fur-friends to visit, Tennis courts, game/movie theater room, and nearby attractions to see if you have time or your legs/butt need a rest from all the time in the saddle.
Feel free to call the ranch for information or if your in the area ask about stopping in to check it out or stay for a meal, the staff is extremely accommodating and friendly!

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank Christy S
Reviewed 11 February 2014

We have come seven times to the White Stallion ranch and had another great time. This time we went in Feb which was cooler which was refreshing. The riding was wonderful as always. The wranglers were friendly and helpful. Great variety of rides and change of pace hikes. The food was great.

Will be back again. maybe we will see you there.

Room Tip: The newer rooms are larger and more expensive; but most people don't spend a lot of time in thei...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 February 2014

This was truly one of my best vacations. The horses are in amazing shape, and they have a horse for riders of every capabilty. If all you want to do is walk, they have beautiful mountain rides, and if you want to canter, they have wonderful galloping trails.There are lessons if you want them, entertainment in the evenings. The people are warm and inviting, the food is great, a huge variety, and lots of it!! Its like a home away from home, and every staff member is warm and welcoming. I would recommend this ranch to anyone!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Wildfire770
Reviewed 4 February 2014

I totally agree with all the previous reviews.White Stallion ranch provides a perfect ,relaxing,fun filled adventure vacation. I want to address the lesson program.
Every day after lunch a group lesson is available for $20/ person in the arena.
I was planning on taking a few lessons and improving my riding skills. At my first lesson I was with two very advanced riders. It would have been perfect if I was at their level.
I decided to sign up for a private lesson the next day. I was assigned Jonathan. He was kind,calm and skilled.After four lessons he had me loping with confidence.I highly recommend treating yourself to a private lesson@$56/ hr.if there is a skill you want to improve.Some guests worked on their penning skills as a group.All the wranglers were highly regarded. FYI the lessons are paid for in cash. Treat yourself,you will have fun and gain a life long skill!

Room Tip: Speak with the staff when booking.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple