“What an amazing garden!”
Review of Tohono Chul

Tohono Chul
Ranked #8 of 311 things to do in Tucson
More attraction details
Owner description: Cultivate your appreciation for the Sonoran Desert’s natural beauty and the impression it makes on everyone who explores our “Desert Corner”. Here, the seasons inspire wondrous events both in nature and culturally; Tohono Chul celebrates every opening, whether for an internationally known artist or an exquisite cactus flower. Wander the natural desert gardens—escape the noise of everyday. Engage in our sincere passion to evolve “The Desert Corner” as an integral crossroads of nature, art and culture.
Reviewed 6 November 2012

Tohono Chul was a beautiful desert garden in Tucson. It is really worth going to see. I was there recently with a few friends and this was the first time I had seen or even heard about it. But we all have a mutual interest in cacti and native plants and visiting this preserve was an excellent idea. This is a botanical garden but not like most we see with pretty greenery and lots of flowers. We visited in the fall, so most flowers were not the spring type we expect to see. I took so many photos of art works mixed with the native plants, saguaros and yes, there was greenery everywhere. If you have an interest in native plants of the southwest, this is the perfect place to visit. There is a lovely restaurant with delicious food, two nice gift shops and best of all, plants for sale at very reasonable prices. We spent 4 hours there and I'm ready to go back again so I can take my family. Spring sounds good! Many other plants will be blooming at that time of year. I plan to buy quite a few plants at their sale to bring the garden home to my house. Fortunately, I too live in a diverse desert area.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,159)
All reviews
"special events"
in 14 reviews
"plant life"

Reviewed 5 November 2012

This is a don't miss park. Its botanical gardens are known world wide and have been nominated by a variety of magazines and travel journal as a must visit. The grounds used to belong to a the Wilson's. Tohono Chul Park begins in 1966 when its benefactors, Richard and Jean Wilson, started piecing together patches of the desert that would form its core – ultimately owning 37 acres. In 1968 they purchased the section containing the hacienda-style “West House” known today as the Tohono Chul Garden Bistro. The Wilsons lived in this house for eight years. Artist and photographers can spend hours and hours painting and photographing a variety of subjects. Every year there is a special evening event when the Night Blooming Cerus comes alive and the gentle fragrance fills the evening air. There is a wonderful little Bistro where you can eat breakfast or lunch and they offer a wonderful afternoon tea. I doubt you will be disappointed in your visit.

1  Thank Thebasics
Reviewed 2 November 2012

An awfully small chunk of land devoted to desert flora & fauna. Staff problems made eating in the tea room a half-hour wait. They would not even seat us at one of the many empty tables because they would not be able to serve us. Went elsewhere to eat.

A disappointment.

1  Thank CanadaFlygirl
Reviewed 27 October 2012

We love this park. It's such a gorgeous venue. My husband and I got married here and it was just beautiful.
The little restaurant is quite good. A simple lunch here is made special by the ambiance and the unusual foods offered.
The gift shop is a must stop for visitors, with tons of cute southwestern themed gifts.
Top your visit off with a walk through the grounds of this beautiful place that showcases Native plants and end up at one of the ever changing art exhibits.
This park is a little jewel! A must see for visitors and residents alike!

2  Thank AZSherry2012