“Overall, not a bad experience”

TownePlace Suites Tucson Airport
Ranked #36 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
El Paso, Texas, United States
“Overall, not a bad experience”
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Overall, this was not a bad experience. Only two real complaints: First, I found 7 AM a little late for serving the hot breakfast. They should bump that up to 6:30 on the weekends. People staying over a weekend are generally staying for a reason - and getting up late might not be on the agenda. I was not alone with either having to settle for cereal or rush through breakfast. Second, on the second night of my two-night stay, I was awakened out of a sound sleep by the folks in an adjoining room making "appropriate acclamations to the Lord." You know, the kind of stuff accompanied by the repeated phrase, "Oh, God!" I would think for nearly $120/night the rooms would have a little better sound isolation.

The fee mentioned brings up another gripe: I don't get how being able to do a last-minute cancellation should cost an extra $50/night. I saw an online price of $71/night for this stay, but was quoted $103 (not including taxes). When I questioned this, I was told that the online price was for a pre-paid room with my card being charged immediately. I realize lots of hotel chains do this, but I don't think that makes it right, so hence the ding for Marriot's policy of doing this.

I liked the mini-kitchen and larger refrigerator as I hate eating out, but probably would have been served as well in a room that simply had a microwave and 'frige. Other than that, the room was the standard "white rice" fare.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Sue C
tusta6595, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Tucson Airport, responded to this review, 9 July 2013
Dear Sue C,
Thank you very much for the review! It is our goal to exceed your expectations. I am glad to announce that we are upgrading our breakfast availability times soon to accommodate for early risers like yourself! We hope to provide excellent service on your next trip to Tucson!

Katie Hunter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Reviewed 9 April 2013

We spent 6 days here and were overwhelmed by the quality of service! From our huge suite, excellent food, and always friendly staff to the cleanliness and great location, we couldn't have been happier. And when the gentleman at the front desk, Bill, heard it was our 10 yr old son's birthday, a staff member brought up cookies and popcorn for him and that night, a cake a balloon!! He and everyone else went out of their way to make sure everyone staying there was as comfortable as possible. We will definitely be staying there again the next time we are in Tucson!

• Stayed March 2013
Katie H, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Tucson Airport, responded to this review, 12 April 2013
We are very blessed to have had the opportunity to help your family celebrate your sons 10th birthday! It is our pleasure to make every stay with us as memorable as possible. Hopefully we will see your family again for his 11th birthday!
Battlefield, MO USA
Reviewed 2 April 2013

Family reunion brought us here for two nights, two rooms for daughter, son-in-law, grand daughter and for wife and I. We arrived just at the end of the evening reception and had a very nice meal of tacos, rice, beans along with wine, beer and sodas. Our rooms were very pleasant with large comfortable bed, small sofa/bed, tables, work area and a small kitchen with range/stove, sink, small refrigerator, cabinets with dishes,glasses, and such. Nicely done bathroom. Staff was great, friendly, accommodating and professional. Public areas are well kept and decorated. An outdoor patio with couches, tables chairs, fireplace and TV is a pleasant touch, along with a wonderful pool area. Breakfast was typical of hotel layout, but food was plentiful and varied, from waffles to eggs, sausage, fresh fruits, cereals and such. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Some larger suites are available.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
We are very glad you enjoyed your stay with us! We hope to see you again very soon!
Merrimack, New Hampshire
Reviewed 11 March 2013

This property is only a few years old; but it is obviously well maintained. We stayed 3 nights for a getaway, and it gets high marks all around. Friendly staff, well appointed and immaculate room, clean heated pool and a decent hot breakfast is available.

There is a social hour most not all evenings, and while we did not partake it was well attended and decently provisioned considering it was free.

It's close to the airport, and this means it's not so close groceries and shopping, but Tucson enjoys good traffic movement most days, and once you get up to the city proper there is all manner of shopping and dining. And if you're leaving by air...........5 minutes !

There is so much of the Sonoran desert that is worth your time, you really need to plan a few days in this special place. This property is a great place to use as home base.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Katie H, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Tucson Airport, responded to this review, 18 March 2013
Thank you for this wonderful review of our hotel and city! We hope to see you again soon!
Mirabel, Qc
Reviewed 26 February 2013

We spent 5 nights at this hotel and we didn't regret it.
We really loved our stay.
The location is great and provides easy and fast access to every attractions in the area.
This hotel looks good, is clean and is well taken care of. Doors are locked and we felt secure.
The room was great with a full kitchen. Big fridge, oven top, microwave, sink, etc. The eating area was big enough. The bed was comfy. Flat screen TV. Nice and clean bathroom. The only bad thing is that the kitchen could be better furnished with ustensiles and other useful kitchen "tools"... but it is always like that with hotel kitchens, almost everywhere... but hope Marriot would do better than the others ;)
The pool area is very nice and inviting. There is also a very useful grill situated in the pool area.
The free included hot breakfast was excellent.
They also offer free dining in the lobby, at the beginning of the week, it sems very popular. They served hamburgers and beer, lasagna and wine and also tacos while we were there.
The lobby is really nice and the outdoor patio with a fire place is cool.
The service we had from the staff needs to be mentionned. We had GREAT service. Thx especially to Bill :)
I highly recommend this hotel and we will be back for sure when returning to Tucson.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ben0844
Katie H, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Tucson Airport, responded to this review, 11 March 2013
We are very pleased that you enjoyed youe stay with us as it is our goal to exceed your expectations! I will pass on your wonderful kudos to Bill. We hope to see you on your next trip to Tucson!
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Very quiet overall. We stayed for 4 nights. I agree with other reviewers about the lack of grocery stores nearby. My only complaint was a lack of frying pan in the kitchenette. Otherwise, a good stay & we would consider staying here again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JessicaB106
Katie H, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Tucson Airport, responded to this review, 26 February 2013
Thank you for your great review! We hope to see you on your next trip to Tucson!
El Paso, Texas
Reviewed 4 February 2013

I stayed at the hotel for 3 nights last week, the rooms were clean, the staff at the front desk were courteous. Since I prefer to cook my meals, I normally stay at hotels that provide a small kitchen. The desk area expands to provide more room. However the desk faces away from the flat screen TV...that is how the rooms are designed.

The ethernet connection to the Internet was sluggish...I did not get a chance to fully test its bandwidth by downloading large work files or watch a movie on netflix. I selected this hotel since the Staybridge Suites wase too expensive and it has a basketball court....I had a great workout. I did aggrevate my knee...but I dont know if it is attributable to me getting older or the interlocking mesh layed over the concrete court. I'm still limping around..getting better.

The hotel is located close to the airport and has easy access to I-10. Unfortunately, there are no groceries stores or banks close by....thats Tucson. Another reason I stayed at TownePlace Suites, it is one of the few Hotels in Tucson that have the entrance to the rooms inside which provides security for yourself and your belongings when away from the hotel...,..Very Big Plus.

The rate was $149 / night with high taxes....maybe adjusting the rates to $129 to $139 may fill up more rooms specially during the Internationa Gem Show and Major League Spring Baseball.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business