“Miracle on I-10”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Tucson City Center
Ranked #13 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed 26 June 2014

It's not often you find an excellent hotel along an interstate freeway, but I found one in Tucson this week, the Country Inn & Suites. I took my grand-daughter and 2 great-grand-daughters to Tucson for a Mexican Fiesta Day and wanted to make sure we stayed at a safe and clean nearby hotel. I was skeptical about this freeway location, but previous Trip Advisor reviewers had given it good ratings. They were right.

Even though we had rooms on the freeway side, we could not hear a single bit of road noise. The rooms were large, clean and had all the amenities of a much more expensive hotel, including a refrigerator and a microwave. Upon checking in, the kids were thrilled with the cookies at the front desk and were given packages of trail mix and one of popcorn for later popping in the room. The pool was perfect after a hot summer drive in the desert and the exercise room a welcome feature before the hot breakfast the next morning. The A/C noise does not detract from the value of this hotel. Add a most helpful and friendly staff and this place gets my top rating.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Tucson City Center

Reviewed 20 June 2014

After a long day on the road we checked in and specifically requested a room close to the internet router so we could conduct some business via email on our laptop. The room was comfortable & clean, but despite our request the Wi-Fi was slower than dial-up. The webpage couldn't load up to view our email or the news ... and NO there is nothing wrong with our brand new laptop. Completely dysfunctional regardless of the time of day. If hotels are going to advertise Wi-Fi then they need to supply adequate band-width for the number of rooms they rent.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LuvToTravelx2
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I have stayed at this hotel in the past and love it every time I visit. The rooms are clean and comfortable. We have two children and feel welcomed by the staff! If you have a family, this is the perfect location.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 June 2014

It appears as if this is a new hotel. It is well kept and welcoming. We enjoyed our visit. The location right off of I-10 is very convenient especially to the Tucson Convention Center. Two lights, turn east, three blocks and you are there. This hotel does have an elevator. The lobby cookies and candy are a nice touch.
Why not 5 stars? The bathroom fan was very loud. Stains on the ottoman. You could not access one of the hotel doors with your room key. When this room key situation was brought to the attention of the front desk, they responded as if to say, yes that is the way it is for that particular door. Lastly, there is no Express check-out. You must return the key(s) upon your departure.
These things will not deter another visit from me but my hopes are that they will eventually improve. Otherwise, a very pleasant and accommodating visit. The free breakfast was also good - what you would normally expect.

Room Tip: We stayed on the West side away from the highway - no sounds at all from the highway. The west side...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2014

On my last trip to Tucson I had a miserable experience at another property and, based largely on TripAdvisor and AAA reviews, decided to try this one.

What can I say? It was nearly perfect. After leaving very early in the morning, and driving 560 miles, I arrived at 1:00 pm two hours before their regular check-in time of 3:00. I had planned on killing some time visiting with my daughter before check-in but she unexpectedly had to work, and being so tired, I decided to see if they would check me in early. My room was ready and they graciously, and efficiently, checked me in early and pointed out the features and benefits of the property to me.

I opened the door to my room and was greeted by a fastidiously clean living space which had obviously been meticulously detailed by housecleaning staff. What a difference from my last Tuscon experience.

The bathroom was modern, fresh, clean, polished and sparkling. Not a hint of previous guest anywhere to be found.

The beds were carefully made with three feather pillows each. There was an additional foam pillow (for those like me who prefer it) and an extra blanket in a sealed bag in the closet. The nightstand was topped with a modern clock radio which had an auxiliary input for connecting an iPod or other source device as well as having an ambient sound generator with nature sounds. Based on previous reviews, I might have been tempted to use this to mitigate highway sounds but I did not find them to be an issue except during morning and afternoon rush hours. When the air conditioning was on it wasn't even perceptible so I just left it running on "fan" when sleeping.

The dresser/armoire had three drawers down the middle, with the refrigerator and microwave being hidden in cabinets on each side. The refrigerator was clean, cold, and quiet. The dresser was topped with a modern 32" LED/HD TV and the in-room coffee maker.

The desk had a power strip with four AC outlets and an ethernet port built into the back. There were an additional two AC outlets built into the base of the ultra-modern table lamp. Internet connectivity, using both the wired ethernet port and the WiFi was fast and reliable.

Though somewhat small and limited, the complimentary full hot breakfast was tasty and wholesome with several menu items changed from one morning to the next. Anyone could have found something to like on both days of my stay. The biscuits and sausage gravy were especially tasty on the second morning. Though the in-room coffee maker was available, I preferred to just go to the breakfast room where coffee, tea, and juices were available any time of the day or night. Cold bottled water and cookies were always available in the quaint and comfortable lobby and the selection of treats and drinks in the vending machines were above average.

Had it not been for the loud family that moved into the room above mine on the second night, with parents who seemingly made no effort to keep the kids quiet and limit their "stomping around" the stay would have been perfect.

Above all, for the condition, cleanliness, amenities, and comfort of the property the price was an outstanding value. We will stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Decided to pass on the recommended hotel for a seminar and stay here instead. I am glad I did. The room was very clean and the location was convenient to downtown. The room had a great mountain view. There was free water and cookies on the counter. The hot portion of the breakfast changed daily which was nice and was tasty. The bike trail behind the hotel was an added bonus and allowed me to walk downtown without being close to the road. The internet connection was great. Two downsides: The windy days made the windows whistle a little. The walls are a little thin and you can hear your neighbor if you have one.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back of the hotel away from the road.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I super recommend this hotel, rooms are very clean, food was very good, very quiet and very relaxing rooms, the most important part the staff: very nice, very friendly, I would like to specially thanks Laura Hall super friendly, very nice person, keep it up you guys, thanks for every thing!