“Great little hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #55 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
Seattle, Washington
“Great little hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

I stayed here last week while visiting my daughter at the U of A. It was me and my mother alone. I'm a seasoned traveler and have stayed in everything from 5 star hotels to roach motels so when I book a modestly priced hotel in a city center I have realistic expectations. The week before I had spent two nights at The Lodge in Ventana Canyon which was almost ten miles away so I have a good comparison of value. This place was exactly what I was looking for. It is very close to the U. I don't know why the previous reviewer said it took them 5-10 minutes since google maps has it down as .9 miles. It took me about two minutes going down Speedway. Walking would have been easy as well. The location is perfect for easy access to the University, Presidio and City Center as well as Speedway and I-10 access. We never saw any so called "bums" and the park across the street looked empty. It didn't bother us at all but then we're from Seattle... The owner was so friendly I couldn't believe it. He began a conversation with me and ended up telling me all about his family in India. It was really wonderful. The room was comfortable, everything worked, AC was very nice. The pool was really cute and old school. I was looking forward to taking a dip but the lightening was going off that night. Most importantly it was very clean. It's an old hotel so expect imperfections but very clean. The free breakfast is exactly as expected, donuts, cereal, milk, juice and most importantly coffee. I got what I wanted. Why do people review these mom and pop hotels and rake them over the coals. Talk about unreasonable expectations. This place was great, I'll stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Laura M
Henry P, Manager at University Inn Tucson, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
Dear Laura M,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our Inn on TripAdvisor. I was very pleased to read all the compliments you wrote about our Inn.

You hit an absolutely great point about our Inn that I would like to emphasize - We provide nice, clean, and comfortable rooms at a great value. All guests have the choice to pay a lot more for a 5-star hotel or pay even less for a simple motel. We categorize ourselves to be the "inbetween" and strive to create the perfect balance of quality and cost. We provide all the necessary amenities for guests who want a clean, comfortable place that does not cost a lot. Our location is also one of the best for guests who want to be close to center city and the University of Arizona.

We enjoy guests like you who help our independent Inn and give us a chance at serving you. We were happy to hear that you would stay here again so on that note, we look forward to serving you again next time you visit!

University Inn Mgmt.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Boise, Idaho
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

Bad location. I needed a room close to the University. It wasn't as close as I had thought (about 5-10 minutes in traffic), but still not bad. However, it is directly across the street from a bum park. Yesterday, getting out of the car, one followed my husband. And all they do is sleep underneath the tree all day long, obviously on drugs. This scares me, traveling with a baby and all. Also, we kept having trouble with the internet connection. It kept going off, which was very inconvenient. When it was working, it was slow. However, the staff was great and worked very hard to fix it and came up to the room to make sure they could get it working. Nice people and good customer service. The room was nice and cool. Nothing fancy, but it was ok. Not sure I would stay here again, and wishing I knew before I booked the room about the scary part of town.

Room Tip: Dont get the rooms in the 220's or 120's that are near the dumpster...unless you want to sha...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank hoewingb
Henry P, Manager at University Inn Tucson, responded to this review, 22 August 2013
Dear hoewingb,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on TripAdvisor as all reviews are important to us. I would like to apologize for any inconveniences you had with your stay.

I see that you had an inconvenience with our location. Depending on where you are going to on the University Campus it should take you no more than 5-10 minutes. The main gate and center Union building is less than a mile away. The only hotels that are closer to the University would be the Marriott and Aloft hotel. After that we would be the closest and within a 4 block distance of our Inn there are 6 other hotels.

While we cannot control the bums at the park, we can control the safety and security of our guests. We always have someone at the property 24/7, 365 days a year at your service as well as video surveillance. We have managed this property for over 18+ years and have never had any safety issues. In fact we used to reside at the property for nearly 12+ years and both of my children have been brought up from birth, living at the property. Mind you there are 3 departments of police in the area (within a mile) for your safety, the Pima Community College Police, the University of Arizona police, and the Tucson police.

I would also like to apologize for any inconveniences you had with our wireless internet. Majority of the time it works perfectly, but some rare moments when our Inn is fully booked and a lot of the guests get on the internet it slows down. We are continuously improving this because it is sort of a trial and error method as we experiment with different types of wireless routers and access points.

I do see that you found our customer service and rooms to be great so on that note, I would like to invite you back at our Inn to give us another chance to serve you. Again, thank you for your feedback and we wish you the best.

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

My stay late in July 2013 was quite great, I have been driving cross country and Tucson was one of many waypoints. I am a light sleeper and asked for help selecting the right room away from ice and vending and foot traffic. Henry was gracious and assigned the right room. The amenities are fine, bed comfortable, the a/c blows cold, and the parking abundant. There really isn't anything I could criticize. It is a very cool value for the traveler looking for a decent, comfortable place to stay - and I could see staying several nights here, no problem.

Say hello to Henry for me!

Room Tip: As it turns out almost any room seems like it would be fine.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Henry P, Manager at University Inn Tucson, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Dear michaelh558,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Inn on TripAdvisor. I am very glad to hear that you had a wonderful experience at our Inn. We are always open to providing special requests when available for our guests. I am also happy to hear you got a great value for your money. Here at University Inn Tucson, we focus on providing the greatest value for your money! Thank you for your review again and we hope to serve you again next time you visit.

Tucson, Arizona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

Now I am a local I stayed here cuz my power went out in the summer

The good: Wifi works well...price is decent....mini fridge and microwave (not used) A/C worked well

The bad: their "free breakfast" is a joke....It is right next to a homeless park ( I knew this due to the fact I live here...just noting for travelers...do not go to the park after dark)....rather dated furniture...when I say dated I do not mean there is a tube tv (which there is) but the chair in the room is a 70s Archie Bunker looking chair...all of this I can deal with...NOW THE MAIN REASON FOR A POOR RATING...when I got to my room I took a shower...never left the room when I woke up and sat at the desk to watch the news i put my foot up on my leg...and my feet were black....in other words do not lay on the carpet..

Room Tip: pay the extra 20 bucks to go across the street to te best western
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Henry P, Manager at University Inn Tucson, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
Dear lasvegasazguy,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Inn as all reviews are important to us. I saw that this was your first review on TripAdvisor and would like to apologize for the inconveniences you had with your stay.

Our breakfast is a continental breakfast. We provide coffee, juice, tea, donuts, cereal, milk, pastries, bread, bagel, and fruit. Considering the rates of our Inn, we provide many amenities including the numerous items in our breakfast. We focus on reasonable pricing while providing the highest value.

There is indeed a park across from our Inn, and the safety of our guests is always a priority. We have been managing this Inn for over 15+ years and have never had a safety issue due to the park.

I would like to sincerely apologize for any inconveniences you had with the cleanliness of our rooms. As a standard procedure we always vacuum every room after every guests’ stay. We also get our carpets professionally shampooed. I will be talking to my housekeeping staff to see which rooms need extra carpet cleaning, as we will definitely be paying attention to this.

I am glad to hear that you had no problems with our wifi, our budget friendly pricing, and the amenities in our room. Again I would like to apologize for the inconveniences and would love to invite you back for our hospitality.

Concord, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2013

I stayed five nights at this motel (6/2/2013 to 6/7/2013).

The room had two double beds, my bed was very comfortable.
The AC unit had broken louvers but worked fine.
The room had a refrigerator and microwave, in addition to a coffee maker.
The hair dryer started smoking the first time I tried to use it.
The shower had plenty of pressure and hot water.

Room Tip: I always check to make sure the window is locked, ~ 25% of the time I find the window unlocked.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Henry P, Manager at University Inn Tucson, responded to this review, 19 June 2013
Dear Alan S,

Thank you for writing a review for our Inn. I want to apologize for any conveniences you had during your stay with us. However, I am happy to hear you were comfortable in our rooms and enjoyed the extra amenities. We did recently update our AC features as we added temperature thermostats. Sometimes guests have had trouble adjusting the temperature so in some of the room we have disconnected the thermostats and taken off the control cover of the ACs so the controls are easily accessible. We are testing this as we continue to improve our Inn. We will be sure to also check out the hairdryers to make sure they are functioning properly in the room. Overall I am glad to hear you were comfortable and the shower was working properly. We do look forward to serving you again next time you visit us. Thank you again for your feedback.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2013 via mobile

We stayed two nights, and found the room comfortable for the price. Wifi worked well with no problems. Air con was heaven as was extremely hot when we arrived. We found it odd that we had to make our toast and then take it back to our room, as there wasn't really anywhere to sit and eat it in reception. Now we believe that this is not unusual in the this part of the US, as we have found the same in other motels.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Millieandme,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Inn on TripAdvisor. I am glad you found our rooms to be comfortable. It is hot during the summer times of the year in Tucson, making our AC's extremely important for our guests so I am glad that it worked well for you. We also have our pool where you can cool off in during the hot days. I am glad you brought up the breakfast sitting area. It is uncommon for Motels of our size to provide free continental breakfast due to the rates that we charge. We still provide free continental breakfast as an added feature and it is quite common in the States for guests to take back their breakfast with them into their rooms and enjoy it there. I am glad you had a great experience with us and we hope to serve you again in the near future.

Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

We needed a place to park our bones for a night while in Tucson to visit friends and attend a concert at the Casino del Sol and this Inn fit the bill. Don't let the price deceive you, this place is less expensive only because of the location in Tucson. Yes, this part of Stone is sort of run down, but remember this is Tucson, and many parts of the city are truly the "Old Pueblo". The room was as clean as could be, the host, Henry, totally accommodating and helpful, and the location actually ideal since it is close to downtown where we had a meeting, and close to the Fourth Ave. shopping district and the U of A. Top that off with being a couple of blocks from the freeway to get us to the concert and it was a winner. The AC worked as designed and was not overly noisy. It is a window style and there is noise from this kind in every hotel I have stayed at. It was also thermostat controlled on the wall which made for tight control.

Room Tip: We asked for a room on the first floor facing north so as to minimize any noise from the street and...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Henry P, Manager at University Inn Tucson, responded to this review, 3 June 2013
Dear robertocollins,

Thank you for reviewing our Inn. I am pleased to hear you had a wonderful experience at our Inn. We do provide clean and comfortable rooms at a very budget friendly price. Why spend more when you don't have to? Thank you for all your comments and helpful recommendations. We look forward to serving you again next time you visit Tucson, AZ!

University Inn Tucson Mgmt.