“Great for a night downtown”

University Inn Tucson
Ranked #50 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We stayed here for New Years Eve so that we could go out on 4th Avenue. The front desk staff was really nice and informative. The location is great because it is only 2 blocks or so away from the bars and restaurants down on Fourth.

Room Tip: Call them for a better deal.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Henry P, Manager at University Inn Tucson, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Dear CaffineFreek,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. Thank you for all your pleasant comments about our Inn especially regarding the location. We are indeed close to the University of Arizona and the 4th Avenue tourist district. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to serving you again. Have a good New Years!

Reviewed 19 December 2013

We stayed at University Inn while attending Homecoming weekend at UA. It's your typical small two story motel but clean, friendly, comfortable among those in the "affordable" category. It was convenient to campus for our purposes. Decent breakfast and we liked additional amenity that it was adjacent to a small park for walking/jogging.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Henry P, Manager at University Inn Tucson, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2014

Dear CindyChoj,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our Inn on TripAdvisor. I appreciate all the pleasant comments you had regarding our Inn. I am happy to hear our hospitality was friendly and our rooms were clean. We focus on providing value through clean, comfortable rooms with many amenities all in an affordable price. Thank you again for all your comments and we look forward to serving you again next time you visit for Homecoming.

Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

Booked a night so the family could relax for a day after driving 10 before heading to grandma's house. The floor began vibrating shortly after 8:00. Why, you ask. Well, they were sawing through drywall and pipe in the room next door. They have like 25 rooms. Why they put in the construction zone is beyond me. At least, warn me for god's sake. I could have even let that slide, but there's more. I take my toddler out for a walk because, you know, the construction. I get a frantic call from my wife that they were at her literally at 11:01. I put the kid and run back about 10 blocks then the dude has the nerve to accuse me of saying that the room was only for one person. Are you kidding me. My reviews in these are usually one or two words. For helping my holiday off so well, I felt the need for a more lengthy review here.

Stayed: November 2013
Henry P, Manager at University Inn Tucson, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

Dear beneee99,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Inn as all reviews are important to us. I would like to apologize for any inconveniences you had during your stay.

Providing our guests with the best possible hospitality and service has always been our priority. I did follow up with my staff and would like to clarify some of the inconveniences you had. We did have our maintenance crew working on the room below at 9:00AM because that is when they clocked in on their timecards. They know better than to be disturbing any guests before check-out time so I would like to apologize for any sounds that they had made. Our check-out time is at 11A.M. and my front desk agents call only after 11:00A.M. to ask guests who are still in their rooms if they will be staying or checking-out. We are understanding and always go out of our way to help our guests, which is why we let your wife continue to stay in the room until you came back without any disturbances. You did not end up checking-out of the room until 12:00P.M.

While we do our best to please all of our customers, but when inconveniences do occur we do our best to provide solutions to them or fix them. I would again like to apologize for all of the inconveniences you had during your stay. I would also like to wish you and your family a Happy Thanksgiving and Holidays!

Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

I had just driven from San Diego on my way to Austin when I arrived and all I wanted was a smooth, speedy & friendly check-in. I got all of the above. The water pressure was good in the shower and the beds were comfortable and it was only $50AUD. Don't book this hotel through a website, simply call the front desk and they will price match any advertised price. They could even beat it. That's what they did for us.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Jordan W
Henry P, Manager at University Inn Tucson, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

Dear Jordan W,

Thank you for writing a review on TripAdvisor. We are so happy to hear that you had a great experience at our Inn. You are absolutely right, we do match, if not try to beat online rates when you book directly by phone with us. It is great to hear you found our Inn to be clean, comfortable, and at the right price. Again thank you for your review and we would love to serve you again next time you visit or travel through Tucson.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

This is a nicely located facility close to downtown Tucson, the U of A, and other interesting places where people may find themselves traveling. It's close to the freeway and easy access to many amenities - restaurants, shops, markets, etc. The rooms are comfortable, the beds are comfortable, the rooms are clean. The prices are very reasonable. That said, if you're used to staying in a hotel, or a little more upscale, there are some things you would want to know.

First, it's an old facility and the kind of place that people stop for the night to rest while they're on a journey. Think roadside motel from a 1950's movie. It's not anything even close to a destination hotel. The neighborhood is OK, but there are bums across the street in the park. Didn't cause me any concern, but I wouldn't have gone out walking alone after 9 pm., which I often do when I travel. The rooms have microwaves and refrigerators, but not coffee makers. This was only an issue for me when I realized I couldn't use the microwave to heat water because there were no microwave friendly cups in the room. The motel is on a busy street and there are road and facility noises. If you're a very light sleeper you'll want to turn on the airconditioner on the fan setting for the white noise. It works well.

The free breakfast is nice to have, but don't expect much. There are a few breads and pastries, regular coffee, hot water, non-dairy creamer and cold cereal. No fruit and no options for anyone who doesn't eat refined carbohydrates, or is gluten or wheat intolerant. The motel is close to markets so if you have restrictions and want to eat before you leave, hit the store the night before - you have a refrigerator and microwave in the room.

All in all, it's a nice little facility. It's comfortable, clean and cheap. The staff appear to live on site and are helpful and friendly. I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Where2GoWhere2go

Dear Where2Gowhere2go,

Thank you for providing a wonderful detailed review of our Inn on TripAdvisor. I am happy to hear you had a pleasant stay with us. What you have said is pretty much what we are all about- "All in all, it's a nice little facility. It's comfortable, clean and cheap." We are indeed centrally located, less than a mile away from Tucson downtown and the University of Arizona campus where nearly 40,000 students go to college.

We are a locally owned and operated business for over 20 years and are constantly improving our Inn. Having coffee makers in all the rooms has been discussed before, however we are waiting to see if there is more demand from our customers for it before we put them in all the rooms. Meanwhile we have provided a solution, we keep coffee in our office all day long even after the breakfast hours. I would like to apologize for not having microwaveable cups in the rooms because we use plastic cups for the rooms, but we do have microwavable cups in the office that you can use.

While our continental breakfast has been discussed before, I would like to give insight to our future customers who read this review and response so they know what kind of service they get when they choose our Inn. We like to create a great balance of value and affordability. With that being said, at our very affordable rates we provide much more than typical motels do, even more than high-end hotels.

Let's start with the definition of a continental breakfast. Originally the English breakfast, (in the United Kingdom) also known as a "full breakfast/hot breakfast," included everything you usually order from a menu. You can order eggs a few different ways, bacon, sausage or ham, and toast. Also included would be coffee, juice, fruit, and pastries. The English breakfast was a whole breakfast because that was the norm in United Kingdom. While the rest of Europe, breakfast was a meal that was lighter, which included just coffee, juice, and pastries. The term itself is of British origin. "The continent" in Britain refers to the countries of continental Europe. A "continental breakfast" thus denotes the type of lighter meal served in continental Europe, as opposed to the "full" English breakfast. In general, the motels and Inns in the United States borrowed this term and used it to serve the light breakfast of coffee, juice, and pastries (usually donuts). Over the years this continental breakfast has evolved and grown to include other various items as each motel and brand desires. So when a motel or hotel describes having continental breakfast it only originally includes coffee, juice, and pastries. However, our Inn has extended this to include toast, bagels, cereal and milk, and fruit (seasonally).

Considering the value we provide at the rates that we charge, we believe we go above and beyond what the industry standard is in our motel category. If you consider high-end hotels like Sheraton and Hilton, they charge you well over $150 for a room, make you pay for wireless Internet, and don’t have any continental breakfast. They will typically have a full serve breakfast but at higher additional charges. We fit into a wonderful market where our customers get to enjoy many amenities at an all-in-one cost, which is much affordable. In the end you get more for your money without having to spend a lot for a good nights stay when traveling.

Thank you again for your gracious comments and we love to hear that you would definitely come back to stay again. We look forward to serving you again in the future!

Reviewed 18 November 2013

We were looking for an inexpensive but adequate hotel near University of Arizona, and the University Inn fit the bill. We had a king bed that was quite comfortable. Our room was clean and pleasant, and the staff were helpful. In the immediate vicinity, this appears to be the nicest of the affordable options. Be warned that the neighborhood north of the inn seems a little dodgy.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Henry P, Manager at University Inn Tucson, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Dear Sarah H,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Inn on TripAdvisor. I am happy to hear our Inn was just what you were looking for, clean and comfortable at a great price. At University Inn Tucson, our goal is to provide value. We provide a clean and comfortable stay with many amenities at a price that is reasonable. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to serving you again in the future.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

This past weekend my son and I visited the University of Arizona. and we needed a place to crash for the night. The University Inn is close to U of A. We walked to the university, which is about 1 mile from the inn. If you don't want to walk to the university, you're only a mile away from the school, so it will take just a few minutes. I gave the inn a score of average, because the facilities are just that, average. Having said that, the management is professional and friendly, continental breakfast is served and the price can't be beat.If you are looking for a top notch five star facility to stay in while visiting Tucson this is not the place. If you're looking for a place to crash while visiting Tucson, I would definitely recommend The University Inn.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank CoupLand
Henry P, Manager at University Inn Tucson, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Dear CoupLand,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Inn on Tripadvisor. We are indeed located centrally and very close to the University of Arizona. I am happy to hear you found our service to be very friendly and our prices reasonable, if not valuable. Our Inn focuses on providing clean and comfortable rooms with many amenities at a great price! Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to serving you again in the future.