“Not bad”

Ranked #51 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
mn
“Not bad”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Stayed here a few weeks back due to reasonably good reviews on this website. Older building but remodeled and kept up well--and quite clean. Very good service. Was an extremely good value for the price considering its central location. Only drawback is its location by a city park which seems to attract homeless people. Would definitely stay again!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank chmww
Henry P, Manager at University Inn Tucson, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear chmww,

Thank you for writing a review on our Inn. I am glad to hear you were happy with your stay! We pride ourselves for the value that we provide so I am happy to hear you found our Inn to be an "extremely good value for the price". Thank you for all your comments and feedback, and we look forward to serving you again next time you visit Tucson.

University Inn Mgmt.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I keep saying I want to be more balanced in my reviews, but this place was really a find! Extremely affordable, convenient location, clean, great hosts...and really comfortable beds! On top of affordable, the Hotel came with a well stocked continental breakfast - toast, bagels, cereal, fruit and best yet, decent coffee.

The hotel is a throw back to an older time - standard 60's motel style - but upgraded enough to make it very comfortable. Free WiFi is essential to me and this one was easy and fast. It's ok walking distance to the civic center and tons of good food.

Given the amount I thought would have to pay in the season, this was a fantastic find. I would go back in a hot minute if ever I went to Tucson again.

Room Tip: I'd suggest a second floor room for more security. Henry is a great host and will help you out...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Carolingaround,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our Inn on TripAdvisor. I am absolutely pleased to hear your stay was wonderful. Your review is exactly what we focus here at the University Inn, providing a clean and comfortable stay, with plenty of amenities at a value price! We are very grateful to be in a convenient, central location to many places in Tucson.

I am happy you mentioned upgrades at our hotel, as we have recently remodeled many of the bathrooms in our rooms and will be continuously making a lot of upgrades this summer (we are very excited!). It is also funny that you bring up Wifi internet (we can't live without it either), it is probably one of the most important amenities to offer being in the hospitality business. It was so important to us that we recently upgrade our Wifi speed. I recently read an article (http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/24/tech/web/us-internet-speed/) that said in 2013, the U.S. household average internet speed is 8.6 megabits per second, and here at the University Inn we upgraded to 20 megabits per second (amazingly fast!).

I am glad your stay was pleasant, and thank you for your kind comments. We certainly look forward to serving you again in the future!

Logan, Utah
Reviewed 31 January 2014

This excellent motel has everything you need (nice beds, fridge, microwave, shower, basic breakfast), and nothing excessive, which means you are paying a very fair price. It is clean, modern, comfortable and ideally located for visiting downtown, the university area or anywhere else in Tucson because it is close to the major arteries (Speedway, Oracle, I-10). Henry, the very personable owner, knows how to run a superb motel. He has upgraded his rooms with energy-saving, motion-activated, auto-shutoff lights and recently remodeled bathrooms. He is very concerned that his guests enjoy their stay and is a wealth of information about what's going on in Tucson. The University Inn outshines all the big chains -- it's the way a motel is supposed to be.

Room Tip: I stayed on the second floor, but don't see any particular advantage to that. All rooms are well...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Henry P, Manager at University Inn Tucson, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Dear frostyhal,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Inn on TripAdvisor. We are thankful for your comments and are absolutely pleased you had a wonderful experience at our Inn. You are correct, we focus heavily on the basics of cleanliness, comfort, and basic amenities so that we are able to provide a friendly priced value for our guests. It is great that you mentioned our improvements because we are continuously improving our rooms. We have a lot of improvements already planned for this year that our guests are going to love, starting with the remodeling of all our bathrooms. Thank you again for your kind comments and we look forward to serving you again in the near future!

Soo, Japan
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We stayed here for New Years Eve so that we could go out on 4th Avenue. The front desk staff was really nice and informative. The location is great because it is only 2 blocks or so away from the bars and restaurants down on Fourth.

Room Tip: Call them for a better deal.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Henry P, Manager at University Inn Tucson, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Dear CaffineFreek,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. Thank you for all your pleasant comments about our Inn especially regarding the location. We are indeed close to the University of Arizona and the 4th Avenue tourist district. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to serving you again. Have a good New Years!

Hailey, Idaho
Reviewed 19 December 2013

We stayed at University Inn while attending Homecoming weekend at UA. It's your typical small two story motel but clean, friendly, comfortable among those in the "affordable" category. It was convenient to campus for our purposes. Decent breakfast and we liked additional amenity that it was adjacent to a small park for walking/jogging.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Henry P, Manager at University Inn Tucson, responded to this review, 1 January 2014
Dear CindyChoj,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our Inn on TripAdvisor. I appreciate all the pleasant comments you had regarding our Inn. I am happy to hear our hospitality was friendly and our rooms were clean. We focus on providing value through clean, comfortable rooms with many amenities all in an affordable price. Thank you again for all your comments and we look forward to serving you again next time you visit for Homecoming.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

Booked a night so the family could relax for a day after driving 10 before heading to grandma's house. The floor began vibrating shortly after 8:00. Why, you ask. Well, they were sawing through drywall and pipe in the room next door. They have like 25 rooms. Why they put in the construction zone is beyond me. At least, warn me for god's sake. I could have even let that slide, but there's more. I take my toddler out for a walk because, you know, the construction. I get a frantic call from my wife that they were at her literally at 11:01. I put the kid and run back about 10 blocks then the dude has the nerve to accuse me of saying that the room was only for one person. Are you kidding me. My reviews in these are usually one or two words. For helping my holiday off so well, I felt the need for a more lengthy review here.

Stayed November 2013
Henry P, Manager at University Inn Tucson, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
Dear beneee99,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Inn as all reviews are important to us. I would like to apologize for any inconveniences you had during your stay.

Providing our guests with the best possible hospitality and service has always been our priority. I did follow up with my staff and would like to clarify some of the inconveniences you had. We did have our maintenance crew working on the room below at 9:00AM because that is when they clocked in on their timecards. They know better than to be disturbing any guests before check-out time so I would like to apologize for any sounds that they had made. Our check-out time is at 11A.M. and my front desk agents call only after 11:00A.M. to ask guests who are still in their rooms if they will be staying or checking-out. We are understanding and always go out of our way to help our guests, which is why we let your wife continue to stay in the room until you came back without any disturbances. You did not end up checking-out of the room until 12:00P.M.

While we do our best to please all of our customers, but when inconveniences do occur we do our best to provide solutions to them or fix them. I would again like to apologize for all of the inconveniences you had during your stay. I would also like to wish you and your family a Happy Thanksgiving and Holidays!

Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

I had just driven from San Diego on my way to Austin when I arrived and all I wanted was a smooth, speedy & friendly check-in. I got all of the above. The water pressure was good in the shower and the beds were comfortable and it was only $50AUD. Don't book this hotel through a website, simply call the front desk and they will price match any advertised price. They could even beat it. That's what they did for us.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Jordan W
Henry P, Manager at University Inn Tucson, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Dear Jordan W,

Thank you for writing a review on TripAdvisor. We are so happy to hear that you had a great experience at our Inn. You are absolutely right, we do match, if not try to beat online rates when you book directly by phone with us. It is great to hear you found our Inn to be clean, comfortable, and at the right price. Again thank you for your review and we would love to serve you again next time you visit or travel through Tucson.