“best Small-town Bookstore in the Southwest”

Bookman's Entertainment Exchange
Ranked #11 of 135 Shopping in Tucson
Reviewed 30 March 2013

I've been hitting Bookman's every time I come to Tucson for twenty-five years. Their rare and hard to find section isn't what it used to be (it used to be a separate room with two or three thousand titles, and now its a single bookcase), but their hardcover fiction section draws me in every time, and I don't believe I've ever left without buying. Excellent source for first editions under $10!

Reviewed 25 March 2013

This place is always a must stop when I'm in Tucson. There are 3 locations in town and I try to hit them all. The location on Speedway is the newest and probably the most modern. You can find some great deals on books (especially older ones). Newer books are usually 1/2 the price of retail. DVDs and BLU-Rays are also for sale, but don't expect a great deal on newer releases. You can find them cheaper on Ebay, but you can get them immediately at Bookmans. Video games for ALL systems are also available and deal can be found if you're lucky. It's a great way to just relax and spend a couple of hours!

Reviewed 5 March 2013

Visited the Grant location.
New to this location, but Bookman's is always great. Besides a well-organized selection of books, this location has a large music department, including guitars (be careful to know exactly what you want as returns can be difficult) and gifts and glassware as well. There is even an electric car-charging connection. Plently of off-street parking and nice clean unisex/family restrooms. Lots of little hide-away places to sit and thumb through your choices or just wait for someone else when you are finished.
The stacks are well organized and the titles are current. A good selection of education required reading, as his location is nor far from the University.
Pleasant staff willing to help one find anything and accept your used books or media to sell. If you are looking for an old title or something that been out of print, the chances of finding it are are less than even. Sometimes you score and sometimes you don't. That's what fun about Bookman's, one never knows what treasure is sitting there waiting just for them!
The prices aren't as low as a normal used book store. I paid $7 for a book with a Costco sticker still attached that had sold there for $7.99. It looked unread, but that seemed high to me.

Reviewed 18 December 2012

I actually went to the location on Ina...so go there for a great book browsing experience. I wish I could transport this place back to Minneapolis. I LOVED IT. They carry all types of media, including used magazines (my favorite reading). Well organized, helpful staff, lots of nooks and crannies to get lost in. What more could you ask for? Prices were very reasonable. I will return on my next visit for sure.

Reviewed 16 April 2012

An hour ago, a friend of mine sold his guitar case to Bookmans for $20. I immediately went there to see if I could buy it for $50(!), but Bookmans refused. Even tho' I told them I knew they had just bought it for $20, the pompous sales clerk INSISTED on $60 (plus tax). It was still sitting behind the counter. They hadn't even put it on display yet.

Also, recently, my wife received three very expensive books as a gift. Having no interest in the books, she sold them to Bookmans for the best price she could negotiate... $5 apiece for a total of $15. These virtually brand new books, published in 2010, had just been purchased for $180 retail.

I know that isn't exactly Startling Revelation, but imho, Bookmans (affectionately known by many as "CROOKmans") is the biggest ripoff out there.

2  Thank Eric C